Expensive start to the week

Bender

First expense. Granddaughter is getting no help from school with home schooling equipment so apparently grandad is purchasing a laptop, great, I've been reliably informed that's what grandads are for Hmmmmm.

6.30 this morning, daughter via WhatsApp via wife, boilers dead, why 6.30am, cause house is freezing,  when did it go off, oh yesterday FFS, apparently that's my job too.

I don't like this week and it's only monday.

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Bender said:

First expense. Granddaughter is getting no help from school with home schooling equipment so apparently grandad is purchasing a laptop, great, I've been reliably informed that's what grandads are for Hmmmmm.

6.30 thismorning, daughter via WhatsApp via wife, boilers dead, why 6.30am, cause house is freezing,  when did it go off, oh yesterday FFS, apparently that's my job too.

Image result for ha ha gif

48 minutes ago, Bender said:

6.30 this morning, daughter via WhatsApp via wife, boilers dead, why 6.30am, cause house is freezing,  when did it go off, oh yesterday FFS, apparently that's my job too.

that's it grandparents dept bicycle's and laptops :thumb:

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, skyrider said:

and boilers

Rub it in, her boiler don't like me. Turned off isolation valves to drain it, both now leak out the stems, their only job in life is to isolate the heating, first time they do that they gave up.

This pandemic has found a way to kill the older generation, or at least their financial reserves it seems. 

I've just had a new Boiler installed, a British gas install as my company owns them, and I'm a top floor flat so scaffold was needed for installing the flue. Still cost a pretty penny but was a bit cheaper than everyone else. A rare thing to say in the context of British Gas. 

But my girlfriends Nest packed in while she was away, but I used a £7 mechanical thermostat while the warranty claim got sorted. Google are a pain in the arse to deal with, after everything they tried to dodge paying as it wasn't installed by an electrician. They dropped it and covered the costs pretty quickly, but it was a fight at every stage.

17 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Ah, I've just had to cough up for a new boiler today as well. Fortunately I figured it was about due to expire so had kept a few shillings under the mattress.

I guess I'm lucky as trade prices and free installation saves a fair bit, although I'm still attempting to fix this one 😁,  just been down with new valves, they sent the wrong ones, 50/50 chance apparently, great philosophy for boiler spares.

Just been to the opticians. That was an eye watering experience, or it will be when I have to pay for the new glasses and contacts 

😲

Edited by JRH
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, JRH said:

Just been to the opticians. That was an eye watering experience, or it will be when I have to pay for the new glasses and contacts 

😳

Send your prescription to one of the many spectacle manufactures advertising on line and buy them there .. Julie has 2 excellent pairs of reading glasses, one sunglasses, and a pair of vari- focals from a company in Dinnington South Yorks for £33.80 ... not per pair .. all 3 .. 

I have a pair of vari-focals from ebay ... £8.99 ... if i break them so what ... 

Yes, made in China ... but so’s your iPhone ...

Edited by Trooper74

I went to the dentists yesterday.

First time in 3 years .... 2 of my lower r/h rear teeth broke up in April 2020 ... no dentists available so i sorted it myself .

I was expecting a fortune for the work ... He took one of the broken teeth out ... and i have to go back for 3 fillings  .....£65 ... and a deep polish and clean ..£23 ...

Result .......

• Like 1

Guest Swagman

How the hell did you manage that, ours told me they can’t do anything, no drilling no filling they will extract but only in emergency, I just got a temporary filling without the drilling.😖😖

3 hours ago, Fozzie said:

This pandemic has found a way to kill the older generation, or at least their financial reserves it seems. 

I've just had a new Boiler installed, a British gas install as my company owns them, and I'm a top floor flat so scaffold was needed for installing the flue. Still cost a pretty penny but was a bit cheaper than everyone else. A rare thing to say in the context of British Gas. 

But my girlfriends Nest packed in while she was away, but I used a £7 mechanical thermostat while the warranty claim got sorted. Google are a pain in the arse to deal with, after everything they tried to dodge paying as it wasn't installed by an electrician. They dropped it and covered the costs pretty quickly, but it was a fight at every stage.

your girlfriends  nest  packed in !  any pics , i may be able to help.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Swagman said:

How the hell did you manage that, ours told me they can’t do anything, no drilling no filling they will extract but only in emergency, I just got a temporary filling without the drilling.😖😖

Out of the blue we had a phone call last Thursday evening, the 7th, from the dentists. "The children are due a check up” .. ok ... "Julie is due a check up “ ... ok ... Julie said .. "David used to be registered with you but has not been for years ... “ .. no problem ... So  i got to go to the Dentist ...... 

Why did Boris close the golf courses ? To get the dentists back to work ...... !!

Our dentist has been closed since the 23rd March 2020 ... now they seem to desperate to get some bums on seats ....

Edited by Trooper74

Carrying on in the vein of the week, I picked up my fav little hand drill/driver went to do a bit of screwing (just keeping @Six30 engaged) dead, grabs another battery, still dead, bugger, just ordered replacement, it's had 3yrs of constant use in some shit environments so I can't grumble too much.

It's the first portable tool I've had fail completely, will strip it down when I get a chance see if it's recoverable.

42 minutes ago, Bender said:

Carrying on in the vein of the week, I picked up my fav little hand drill/driver went to do a bit of screwing (just keeping @Six30 engaged) dead, grabs another battery, still dead, bugger, just ordered replacement, it's had 3yrs of constant use in some shit environments so I can't grumble too much.

It's the first portable tool I've had fail completely, will strip it down when I get a chance see if it's recoverable.

You're not having much luck recently! 

I would have a drink................

:popcorn:

• Haha 1

On 11/01/2021 at 19:38, Bender said:

I do feel bad for you, boilers going wrong are never good, although every cloud has a silver lining, just think, you could have bought that Range Rover you were considering and it could have crapped itself!🤣.

(Mine has been fine so far other than that prop bearing and a £100 AC pipe and regas)

• Haha 2