Could Bartering be our way forward

dynax

I picked up on this up from elsewhere and it seems that it is still used, albeit in a very minor capacity. In our post brexit Britain and huge job losses throughout due to C19, money is in short supply for many people, maybe our future begins with the past and one thing people have is time.

So why not use that time to barter, there are many tradesmen without work so why not trade skills. Working from home has changed many peoples lives, and as a result has often left them with extra time, trade that time for something you need.

Everyone has a skill or something to offer that they can trade with, and rebuilding the community spirit that has been lost over the years in the process.

What have you got to barter with for something you want or need doing.

Edited by dynax

I think to some extent we already use this amongst friends, family and neighbours. 

I converted my neighbours garage into a sodding poodle parlour where she now runs a dog grooming business.

I got a bottle of gin, dog haircuts and IT expertise from her husband for life...lol

Always done this. My mates a solicitor but dyslexic with tackle.  I get legal advice, he gets central heating put in.

Simple and effective way.

1 hour ago, dynax said:

I picked up on this up from elsewhere and it seems that it is still used, albeit in a very minor capacity. In our post brexit Britain and huge job losses throughout due to C19, money is in short supply for many people, maybe our future begins with the past and one thing people have is time.

So why not use that time to barter, there are many tradesmen without work so why not trade skills. Working from home has changed many peoples lives, and as a result has often left them with extra time, trade that time for something you need.

Everyone has a skill or something to offer that they can trade with, and rebuilding the community spirit that has been lost over the years in the process.

What have you got to barter with for something you want or need doing.

yes lets open up some bazars 

43 minutes ago, Bender said:

I always tend to come out of such trading loosing out 😁 

This is why I won't do foreigners! or even DIY if I can help it!

The simplest task always turns into a Nightmare and I invariably lose out :scratch:

• Like 2

This is not an original idea.

I remember seeing in the newspapers a similar scheme down in Ipswich where people would trade on tasks instead of money.

The problem come to light because inland revenue wasn't happy that with this method there are no tax to be paid :D

Now, we all know how tax man loves our taxes... 

6 minutes ago, rennie said:

This is why I won't do foreigners! or even DIY if I can help it!

The simplest task always turns into a Nightmare and I invariably lose out :scratch:

I don't scotch (foreigner) anymore.

I used to just sup the profit anyway.

When saving up prior to kids, any day i was off shift I'd be trying to get a scotch in. Was always knackered and would then think oh well best go for a pint.....

Knocked it on head properly about 5 year back.

• Like 1

On 17/01/2021 at 20:53, Stu said:

I'm the same! most of my mates are useless :lol: 

Yup.

Most of my circle of friends work in IT in some sort of techy role or other (or a few are in manglement)... and live 250 miles away.  What bloody use are they to me? 

1 minute ago, Steve_M said:

Yup.

Most of my circle of friends work in IT in some sort of techy role or other (or a few are in manglement)... and live 250 miles away.  What bloody use are they to me? 

They could remote desktop to help computer problems 🤣

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Stu said:

They could remote desktop to help computer problems 🤣

I’m not sure system architects, system designers and programmers would be of any use to me. And the managers... they’re mostly only good for getting in the way (I except my good lady who was a techy / manager).

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, onesea said:

I don't believe you pay tax on bartered goods.

No there's no tax as long as no money is exchanged, and the tax man hates it for this reason.

Unfortunately getting back to a proper Barter system will be virtually impossible, mainly because we have been conditioned to put a monetary value on everything.

With the Barter system everyone is equal, not like today where one persons time is more valuable then the next person, yet it always seems that the people that do the most get the least.

Why should some twat sat in office get paid thousands for doing nothing, when others are breaking their backs for f@ck all, this is what a monetised society has done and is the biggest cause of class distinction.

With the Barter system both parties have reached an agreeable contract that suits them both, it's simple and if done properly nobody loses out.

People have said about doing jobs for mates etc, this is not a true Barter system it is just people doing favours for each other, and more often than not only one person ever comes out on top.

With a Barter system you have to stop looking at things as though they have a monetary value, they do not, their value is what you can give in return. :thumb:

Don't think I fancy trying to barter a few barrels of crude oil for my day to day living. There's a  really good reason we moved away from  a bartering economy. Beyond basics it simply doesn't work. 

• Like 1