Space x starship next launch.

Bender

30 minutes ago, Stu said:

Whats the VED on one of those? would it be based on emissions :D 

If you can afford to start the company, fill them with fuel and blow them up I recon ved is isn't high on the list of concerns.

I be more worried about insurance in the event it crash lands on people, although Boeing don't appear to be overly concerned on that score.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Bender said:

If you can afford to start the company, fill them with fuel and blow them up I recon ved is isn't high on the list of concerns.

I be more worried about insurance in the event it crash lands on people, although Boeing don't appear to be overly concerned on that score.

Read in the papers that when they have a launch people who live in the area are evacuated. Presumably  house prices are low and insurance  unobtainable!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

Read in the papers that when they have a launch people who live in the area are evacuated. Presumably  house prices are low and insurance  unobtainable!

Yea roads closed exclusion zone, doubt it affects house prices I would pay more to have that view, now if they start launching every week that could become a pain.

Boooooooo

No Def time or date for sn9 and starlink launch put back, although they attract little attention now 😁 

Due to rough weather in the recovery area, now targeting no earlier than Wednesday, February 3 at 5:57 a.m. EST for launch of Starlink

1 hour ago, Pie man said:

At a cost of 'How Much' 

Estimate for sn8 was couple hundred million 😁 

Things get cheaper though as you make more.

The raptor engines won't be cheap or the flaps and controls but the rest is not so bad, still a big loss, but they expect to have issues, if they are still having issues like this after sn 12 I think they may start getting worried.

Looks like a failure to orientate correctly this time, last time was fuel/engine fault, so it's a new problem now, I don't know why they don't flip earlier.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The next one will be out soon, then I think they have already binned a couple because of some changes.

Firing all the engines and shutting down what you don't need worked well, shame about it going pop afterwards, it did look like it was leaning slightly after landing, header tank had some big wrinkles in too, landing may have been a bit more of a bump than it looked.

1 hour ago, James in Brum said:

It looked like it was on fire when it landed. Did it explode later?

Yea sat there for a while and went bang, 6sec after they declared it a success 😂 

Flamey end often looks like it's on fire 😁 gas leak apparently.

These are just test beds and at this stage it's to be expected,  every flight builds a valuable database, the raptor engines appear to be the consistent bug bear, the booster is going to have 36 of them so they need to iron out those issues as they go too.

Apparently they have construction underway at various stages all the way up to SN19, I imagine it must be quite a challenge as after every launch the design of each succeeding model will have to be updated with the new data in mind.. maybe now they will give future models less flimsy legs!

Sn11 is now on the launch pad 😁 

The demise of sn10 was again put down to an engine fault.

It  ingested helium and lost some power causing a heavy landing, bending a foot, causing a gas leak, buckling the header tank and going boooooooom.

Go sn11

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

Well that didn't go very well. Even Musk has to run out of money at some point  surely?

The raptor engines look to be very very powerful but extremely fickle 😁 

Not a good mix when you put 36 of them on the booster.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Bumpety bump

Sn15 is go for launch, Aprx 10.30 tonight, they binned a few as sn15 has lots of improvements.

It's had 2 static fire tests and been on the launchpad for a while now, they need to nail it soon.

Last few fails have been down to gas leaks.

The flip,burn and landing is the stumbling block.