Chain clean/lube - the neverending topic!

Jerry1111

I got fed up with chain rust forming whenever I leave the bike for a few days. I'm using Motul C2 lube and their cleaner.

Is this normal that you'll clean and lube the chain, then leave it for a few days and it has (hopefully only surface) rust? WTF is happening with this lube once it dries, that it lets rust in? It's effing sticky in all the places that don't matter, and it's not present in the outside sides of the links -where the rust annoys my eyes!

What to do? Move to hydraulic oil? I have a bottle of Quiksilver marine gear oil for my outboards...

I don't mind going to the garage with a pint, for a quick maintenance job, but this rust is getting on my nerves now!

PS: chain and sprockets are new, 2.5k miles, less than 6 months. It's a "non-gold" chain.

Edited by Jerry1111

The never ending debate indeed. It's a matter of finding what works for you and the kind of riding you do.

I've tried just about everything and there is no single perfect solution for all seasons. What works in the summer isn't enough in the winter if you ride on gritted roads.

The motul stuff is ok but it's no good just spraying it on - as indeed you have found. When I've used it a clean the chain, let it dry, then get a rag which I soak in the spray and run the chain through that. But it's needs frequent applications during bad weather.

So far the one that works for me, maybe not for everyone, is Wurths dry wax, but again I apply it with a rag which I run the chain through and it's done frequently.

For winter riding I'm trying a Gibidii oiler, a cheap version of the Cobrra. That's for the CBF which is used in all weathers on rural roads. 

Ive used motul for a little while and the bike outside gets the odd rusty link, which too drives me mad. So the last time I cleaned the chain and dried it, I wiped it with ACF50 and let it soak in before applying lube. Thinking that the outside doesnt touch anything etc.

It worked better than not doing it, but Il bet the bit of rust I saw was application error on my part.

For summer I will be going by manufacturers recommendations of using gear oil. This is done with a tooth brush or small brush and as bullfrog said getting the worst of with a cloth. I think this will coat alot better than the sprays

I use gear oil applied with a 1 inch brush, what I do though is warm a small amount in the oven while I prep the chain by cleaning it, place some rags on the ground under the chain, then using the warmed up oil liberally brush it on getting it into all the nooks and crannies, I don't usually bother wiping off the excess as when it cools it pretty much stays where it is.

• Like 1

Back in the days of my VFR800's chain I never spent time cleaning it.

I've always used dry silicone spray and never had problems.

Used to spray after each run unless was a short one (less than 200 miles) or would spray it by end of October for the winter.

Never had problems with rust.

I remember the dry spray wasn't as cheap as the normal oil but well worth.

• Like 1

Scott oiler - expensive for mixed reviews.

Loobman - Oiler Cheaper, still with mixed reviews 

http://www.loobman.co.uk/

Gidibi Chain oiler- again mixed reviews.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chain-Oiler-Automatic-Oiling-lubricating-System-Universal-Motorcycle-Motorbike-/184342962339?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

Some love then others hate them.  For £25 I will put them on my bike they do reduce chain maintenance and increase chain life.

None of them are fit and forget.  

I clean the chain using Paraffin or central heating oil (Basically kerosene), I use a chain brush first then run the chain through a rag to get the loose crap off.  I'm also using Wurths and apply it in much the same way as Mississippi Bullfrog does.  I ride all year round so obviously, during winter months, the chain needs more attention,  I usually give it a bit of a clean and re-lube on a weekly basis, depending on use.  To cut down on cost I also, on occasion, lube the chain with EP90 gear oil, soak a rag and run it through the oily rag, I was given that pearl by someone on this forum and it works really well.

3 hours ago, Gerontious said:

Gidibi is a Chinese copy of the Cobrra Nemo 2 which is made in Slovakia 

That would seem to be the case. But I wonder if given the precise similarity and good reviews of the Gidibi whether they are actually made in China in the same factory and the Cobrra ones are just rebadged? 

Like my compressor is badged Wolf but it's exactly the same as the Draper one and several other branded compressors. All originating from the same factory in China.

I read somewhere of a guy who had bought both the Cobrra and the Gidibi and found them to be identical and work the same.

Accorfing to my Cobrra its made in Czech Republic,  not China.  Its a couple of years old so no idea if they have changed. Given the Chinese  disgraceful track record in theft of property rights it could be a good rip-off. 

3 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

Accorfing to my Cobrra its made in Czech Republic,  not China.  Its a couple of years old so no idea if they have changed. Given the Chinese  disgraceful track record in theft of property rights it could be a good rip-off. 

I cannot remember the brand now a Chinese knock of of the go-pro same shape etc but branded differently.  Its actually a good camera, the problem is it lost its reputation as a good camera because, other Chinese manufactures started making a cheaper poor quality copy and giving it the same name....

• Haha 1

Perry's  the manufacturer of lifebuoys outsourced their manufacturing to China.  For the first year or two things went well and quality control was good. After a while the Chinese manufacturer  decided to cut costs without telling Perry. Soon after they were having epic fails to the extent the MCA put an M-Notice out about them being not fit for use. Perry's  reputation took a big hit even though they shifted manufactur again.

23 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

I have the Cobrra Nemo 2. I just purchased my second one. I noticed it said it was designed by Cobrra in Slovakia, somewhere it probably says in very small print 'manufactured in China' 😂 

1 minute ago, Pie man said:

I have the Cobrra Nemo 2. I just purchased my second one. I noticed it said it was designed by Cobrra in Slovakia, somewhere it probably says in very small print 'manufactured in China' 😂 

Probably, sigh.

On 08/02/2021 at 12:57, manxie49 said:

I clean the chain using Paraffin or central heating oil (Basically kerosene), I use a chain brush first then run the chain through a rag to get the loose crap off.  I'm also using Wurths and apply it in much the same way as Mississippi Bullfrog does.  I ride all year round so obviously, during winter months, the chain needs more attention,  I usually give it a bit of a clean and re-lube on a weekly basis, depending on use.  To cut down on cost I also, on occasion, lube the chain with EP90 gear oil, soak a rag and run it through the oily rag, I was given that pearl by someone on this forum and it works really well.

Yep gear oil via toothbrush each week or 200 miles for me. It does a good job of cleaning too. Just don't let it get too gunked up.

• Like 1

Ok, in that case I'll finish off the can of C2 lube and then switch to my gear oil. What type of paraffin/kerosene for cleaning?

And on China - they make stuff as good/bad as you want. If someone's not experienced enough in offshoring that they let China CEM do what they want, then they get what they deserve. There's a skill to running this well...

I buy paraffin from B and Q in their garden section, for greenhouse heaters.

I've tried gear oil applied with a brush. Riding in a rural area with flooded roads covered in grit it turned out to be the worst at protection. But it depends where you live and what kind of roads you ride on. If I used enough to prevent rust it attracted grit and was messy. If I put less on to prevent fling the chain rusted within a few days.

I've stuck with dry wax and in very bad weather a wipe with lighter oil. When the Gidibi arrives in going to try it with engine oil applied very sparingly. 

4 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I buy paraffin from B and Q in their garden section, for greenhouse heaters.

I've tried gear oil applied with a brush. Riding in a rural area with flooded roads covered in grit it turned out to be the worst at protection. But it depends where you live and what kind of roads you ride on. If I used enough to prevent rust it attracted grit and was messy. If I put less on to prevent fling the chain rusted within a few days.

I've stuck with dry wax and in very bad weather a wipe with lighter oil. When the Gidibi arrives in going to try it with engine oil applied very sparingly. 

I was too sparing with the Gidibi and got surface rust, so I've upped the dose.

But I don't think anything works on fully automatic,  so I've given it a good direct dose of gear oil and will do so occasionally from now.

Fortnine did a comparison of all chain lube varieties a while back, and concluded gear oil worked best.

I find a dry lube as needed along with the Cobrra works as good as anything. A lot of the roads round here are horribly gritty and if there's too much lube it becomes grinding paste. Love to know more about BMW's no maintenance chain and if it would fit the Strada if it did work....

• Like 1