Peer to peer Rental service .

Spongefinger

I've seenin the US they have a few services where you can " air BnB" a bike you just jump on a app look for a bike and hire it off the owner. Is there or do you think there would ever be anything like this in the UK? Bike hire in general is a pain not many places that do it and the cost is ridiculous compared to renting a car.

23 minutes ago, Spongefinger said:

I've seenin the US they have a few services where you can " air BnB" a bike you just jump on a app look for a bike and hire it off the owner. Is there or do you think there would ever be anything like this in the UK? Bike hire in general is a pain not many places that do it and the cost is ridiculous compared to renting a car.

I did hear about a service like this starting out in the UK a couple of years back on the radio but not sure if it took off or flopped.

It was basically to hire anything from bikes to food mixers, I'm lending my stuff to no one 😁 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, S-Westerly said:

I'd want evidence of insurance and a cash deposit so huge you'd almost need to buy the bike. In a phrase "no f**king way Jose".

Some of the few bike hire shops I have found ask for up to £1500 deposit to be left.

• Sad 1

I think the responsibility for roadworthiness and possibility of being sued if something went wrong puts me off more. If someone wanted to pay me a hundred quid a day to rent my bike and they were insured I could be tempted.  But then I am a bit skint at the moment and my bike is work about 1k.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, James in Brum said:

1k, to me. I think I could not sell it for that.

9 minutes ago, James in Brum said:

I think the responsibility for roadworthiness and possibility of being sued if something went wrong puts me off more. If someone wanted to pay me a hundred quid a day to rent my bike and they were insured I could be tempted.  But then I am a bit skint at the moment and my bike is work about 1k.

Yeah, I mean it could be a legal nightmare if something went wrong. Not sure if they have different liability laws in US that make it a more viable proposition.

Edited by Spongefinger

I would have thought given their penchant for legal proceedings the USA would probably be worse than us for liability laws etc.

I have rented on hols in the canaries (Enfield interceptor and Honda 500) and in Portugal (GS550 Classic) and paid approx £75 per day with 2-3 hundred as deposit but compelled to sign up to their insurance which seemed pretty fair to be honest.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, skyrider said:

in america they have rent a wreck at some car garages anyone seen that over here ?

A company in London started trading with a very similar name years ago renting cars. I have no idea if they are still in business.

1 hour ago, TimR said:

Await the next phase of Tesla ...

Your car takes itself off when your not using it and becomes an Driverless UBER 

I'd be ok with that as long as it doesn't think it can swan off with the money and blow it all on an premium car wash and valet at some swanky spa garage.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, bonio said:

I'd be ok with that as long as it doesn't think it can swan off with the money and blow it all on an premium car wash and valet at some swanky spa garage.

It's the stainage i worry about..

• 2 years later...

Considering just how many hoops even cab drivers have to jump through. The moment anything becomes commercial, the tax and others costs including god knows how many MOT’s you would have to go through every year. I doubt the money would be enough to risk giving your favourite child to some stranger no matter how responsible they pretend to be. Short of providing video evidence of every hour they have ever spent in the saddle. I wouldn’t. Pretty sure, the bike would never feel the same again after being used and abused by someone else.