Advice for glasses wearer

Mickly

Has anyone any practical solutions to stopping your glasses sliding down your nose when riding? It’s happening to me quite often & I’m pissed of having to open my visor to push them back up Especially when it’s raining. It happens most when looking down at directions on my tank bag, it also happens when I hit a bump - something happening more often due to the worsening condition of our roads.

This is something that has never happened to me so my guess its a result of either the design you are wearing or something to do with your head shape or nose profile.

Perhaps worthwhile revisiting your optician.

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 1

I echo what's said above. I wear glasses and they don't slide down. I also race a Laser dinghy wearing glasses (contact lenses are dangerous for sailing) and my glasses have to fit so they stay in place during some pretty violent moves. 

Your optician ought to advise you on glasses that don't move about.

You can get elastic straps which I've seen sailors use, but they're not very comfy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gerontious said:

This is something that has never happened to me so my guess its a result of either the design you are wearing or something to do with your head shape or nose profile.

Perhaps worthwhile revisiting your optician.

It’s probably my nose profile, or lack of it - it’s a bit squashed due to not being quick enough to stop it getting hit a few times & having an abscess removed which had developed when it was broken ( kick boxing) it also meant removing some of the cartilage.

Maybe back to Specsavers to see if the can do anything.

It’s probably of my own doing as I wanted glasses with straightish arms to make them easier to get in & off while wearing a full face helmet, as a result they’re probably not hooking be hind my ears sufficiently 😟

I wear glasses most of the time when on my bike. I've not had this problem. My hjc helmet has grooves for glasses which may help. Bit I suspect your glasses don't fit right. Go back to Specsavers and tell them.

Could it be your helmet doesn't fit right and your head is moving around in it resulting in your glasses moving? 

3 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

(contact lenses are dangerous for sailing) 

@Mississippi Bullfrog go on I have not heard about the dangers, other than possibly falling out...  I have glasses last 5 years or so now, no intentions of contacts just curious.

@Mickly luckily I don’t need glasses yet for driving/ riding however my 2 suggestions. Spec savers fitting service or..

these people:

https://lowcostglasses.co.uk/my-account/

I tried another online companies glasses and found they did not last.  These guys I have yet to brake or have fall apart.

I use some of there £5 ones for rough work and they keep going...

maybe experiment with large arms to get more friction between lid and head. For the price depending on lens you could get some just for under your lid.

As an aside I have been wearing glasses since childhood and riding for 43 years and I believe the padding grooves in HJC lids are the best thing I have come across.

I tend to wear metal arms with a bit of flex in them anyway and don`t seem to have too many problems.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

@onesea my optician advised me not to wear contact lenses whilst sailing because it is easy to get water splashed into your eyes. With lenses in that can create an infection between the lens and the eye which can cause serious eye damage. He said it is not common but if it happens it is very destructive. So his advice was firmly against wearing contact lenses whilst sailing.

Mirror the HJC comments.

I wear glasses ,(can't do contacts anymore due to medical shite) have found the grooves in an HJC spot on.

My helmets are always tight fitting for this reason.

I wear glasses, and have not noticed that problem either....save having to get another pair have you thought about one of those elastic glasses headband things ( not sure of actual name) that sports players wear- think Edgar Davids.

Logically to me it would stop them slipping

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Silentbob83 said:

I wear glasses, and have not noticed that problem either....save having to get another pair have you thought about one of those elastic glasses headband things ( not sure of actual name) that sports players wear- think Edgar Davids.

Logically to me it would stop them slipping

I shall look at these as a possibility 

Sounds like your glasses need adjustment on the thingy that goes over the ears. You can get some rubber holders, like sport people have