Anyone using PDL?

bonio

I'd never heard of PDL until some guy on an MV group on Facebook was going on about it, like it was as magical as unicorn pee. On the website, it's the same message: just use PDL to lube your chain once and you'll never have to lube it or clean it again. Ever. The chain won't even need adjusting. Just spray it on, and your chain transmutes into the One Archetypal Platonic Chain in the Mystical Heaven. Or words to that effect: https://www.profi-products.de/en/pdl-dry-lube/

But is it really that good? 

26 minutes ago, bonio said:

I'd never heard of PDL until some guy on an MV group on Facebook was going on about it, like it was as magical as unicorn pee. On the website, it's the same message: just use PDL to lube your chain once and you'll never have to lube it or clean it again. Ever. The chain won't even need adjusting. Just spray it on, and your chain transmutes into the One Archetypal Platonic Chain in the Mystical Heaven. Or words to that effect: https://www.profi-products.de/en/pdl-dry-lube/

But is it really that good? 

I suggest you try it, ride 24k and let us know how it goes 👍 

• Haha 2

Recently I did 3500 miles trip, lubed chain before with motul paste and didn’t look at it until return.

so 18 days and 3500 miles later, chain was still greasy, not as much at first, but it could go another few thousand.

yes weather was good, no rain 

I've used dry lub when I had my VFR and was very happy with it.

Lasts longer (a lot) mess free.

stays in place even when you wash the bike.

But wasn't PDL

I'm looking at both those ideas, the rock oil chain wax I've got isn't great I must be honest. I prefer using an oil in the winter when the weather is cruddy but the rock oil stuff isn't great

I use Wurth dry lube at the moment. It's ok for summer but not up to daily riding in winter conditions unless you treat the chain very frequently. 

I tried Rock Oil and  Motul  sprays but didn't get on with them. 

The PDL is a lot more expensive than Wurths but if it's good I might try it 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello @megawatt

PDL chain lube. Does it live up to the manufacturer's claims? 

the PDL® GUARANTEE: Inject and start immediately.

- PDL® lubricated chains are maintenance-free!
- There is no need to re-tension or clean the chain!

• 1 month later...

I've just ordered some pdl now I've nearly used up the rest of my rockoil dry lube which I'm not a great fan of but didn't want to waste it. I'll report back when I've cleaned the chain up and used it for a while we will see if it's worth the extra cost!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Update on this thread as I've had the PDL on the chain for about a month. Personally I don't think it's any good in the winter. After cleaning the chain with the PDL cleaner/prep thoroughly and applying a Liberal coat of lube I'm now seeing rust in a few places on the chain after 2 applications. I think I will do what I have done previously use gear oil in the winter and try the pdl again in  the summer. It is good in terms of drying and not sticky and no crud has stuck to it but not great corrosion wise so I'd imagine I'd start getting tight links over the winter. Therefore I don't think it's worth the money and I'll use it up then maybe use the motul paste when it runs out 

• Like 2

Only problem with fit and forget solutions is exactly this. You FORGET. To look at you chain, sprockets, rear wheel etc and one day you have a problem that regular inspection, clean etc would have flagged up. SOME folk with Scotoilers think they are also a fit and forget,  not all i must say.

I see this with modern cars too, people just drive and drive till they are surprised by a fault or a crash.

On 2 wheels or 4 you need to be aware of your vehicle as well as your surrounding to keep you and others safe. 

Was this not a BMW idea??

I will stick to a paraffin clean and gear oil lube.

1 hour ago, linuxrob said:

Only problem with fit and forget solutions is exactly this. You FORGET. To look at you chain, sprockets, rear wheel etc and one day you have a problem that regular inspection, clean etc would have flagged up. SOME folk with Scotoilers think they are also a fit and forget,  not all i must say.

I see this with modern cars too, people just drive and drive till they are surprised by a fault or a crash.

On 2 wheels or 4 you need to be aware of your vehicle as well as your surrounding to keep you and others safe. 

Was this not a BMW idea??

I will stick to a paraffin clean and gear oil lube.

Too true, that's how I noticed my metal stuck in the back tyre last month no pressure loss but glad I noticed it. I have a motorrad kettenpflege kit to run paraffin through to clean the chain its quite effective. 

1639672295735134930008297130550.jpg

24 minutes ago, MikeHorton said:

Too true, that's how I noticed my metal stuck in the back tyre last month no pressure loss but glad I noticed it. I have a motorrad kettenpflege kit to run paraffin through to clean the chain its quite effective. 

1639672295735134930008297130550.jpg

Nice bit of kit. I run split links in all my chains and remove them for major cleaning, some times i can use the chain brush but if not careful and even with cloths down end up getting  muck and paraffin on the concrete standing, am not popular. Use JT X1R chains and their split links. I know i should change them every time but end up using them 3 times at most. On the GS125 I have a dropper bottle of gear oil and petrol to thin it down. Use pure gear oil on the Bandit and Z500's chains as they have x rings and petrol in the mix prob will harden or make them swell. also they are used in the warmer weather but still a little heat up in warm water helps the flow. A drip on each link and roller only every 200 miles (sad i know but it is quite therapeutic). Last bandit set was sort of OK after 43000 miles only changed them as the chain had lost 4  x rings and wanted to go back to a cushioned front sprocket (JTF513RB).

• Like 1