That's a bland, bland bike with no character

PaulCa

"That's a bland, bland bike with no character", said a friend when I told him my new bike was an NC750X.

What exactly does this mean?  Granted my friend is a life long bike tinkerer, runs his own business, but what he usually does is goes out and finds death traps from bygone years, usually small 2-strokes and soups them up into being even more of death traps.  He owns a V6 custom bike, which he is actually fitting a supercharger to it now.  It already had something like 200bhp.  He does not own any bike gear, rides in a normal coat, jeans and trainers.  So I don't take bike advice from him, except maybe to discuss bike mechanical issues.

But this "Character" they talk about, I still trying to work out what they mean.  To be honest by first thought is that many bikes have faults and annoyances which people learn to live with then refer to it as "character".

• Like 1

Alan Milliard described the Tracer 700 he was riding in a show as boring..... I bow to his knowledge as an engineer but I'd take boring over having to fix it at the side of a road

• Like 1

If it makes you smile and enjoy riding it, any bike is good for you. Owning a bike is a personal choice and I like those who buck against the trend and ride what they like.

I've deflected criticism for any bike I've owned because they're not riding it, I am. I couldn't care less what others think.

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, PaulCa said:

"That's a bland, bland bike with no character", said a friend when I told him my new bike was an NC750X.

What exactly does this mean?  Granted my friend is a life long bike tinkerer, runs his own business, but what he usually does is goes out and finds death traps from bygone years, usually small 2-strokes and soups them up into being even more of death traps.  He owns a V6 custom bike, which he is actually fitting a supercharger to it now.  It already had something like 200bhp.  He does not own any bike gear, rides in a normal coat, jeans and trainers.  So I don't take bike advice from him, except maybe to discuss bike mechanical issues.

But this "Character" they talk about, I still trying to work out what they mean.  To be honest by first thought is that many bikes have faults and annoyances which people learn to live with then refer to it as "character".

They are nearly always just talking about the bike as fully standard, its quiet. Ive had owners come up to me to talk about the sound my Africa Twin makes and about the DCT, mostly those who didn't opt for that when they bought the bike and subsequently wish they had.

By far the most common change people make to these bikes is to change the exhaust end can.

There is a new model supposed to be coming out for 22MY. increased to 850cc (allegedly)  My guess is Honda will change the crank to 270, which is a bit of a trend.. but will significantly change the way it sounds. Vee Twin (ish)

The NC750X is a brilliant workhorse, reliable, hugely economical, and on paper lacking in any decent power. But numbers on paper aren't everything. A couple of mates have them and they love them. 

My Bobber has loads of 'character'. It's impractical, not hugely comfortable, has a tiny tank so you're looking for fuel every 80 miles, and I love it. But I wouldn't want it as my only bike.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

There is a new model supposed to be coming out for 22MY. increased to 850cc (allegedly)  My guess is Honda will change the crank to 270, which is a bit of a trend.. but will significantly change the way it sounds. Vee Twin (ish)

The 850cc version is still "CGI-ware" for now.  I'm have my eyes more on the up coming road version of the Africa Twin, I think they are calling an NT1100?

The 2021 has the 270* crank.  Yes, it makes the appropriate BLAP noise when you blip it on downshift.  An after market can would make that even better.

Any way, I had another chat with him and I think I found common ground.  You see he owns at any one time 3 or 4 bikes.  He rides 50cc 2 strokes and uses a 1990s Honda 650 for longer trips.

When I pointed out I want a single bike that does everything adequately, an all rounded, with modern tech and be bullet proof reliable for a non-mechanic he could see the point.  He is more interested in bikes that do somethings well and are rubbish at other things.  Fair enough.

Edited by PaulCa
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

The NC750X is a brilliant workhorse, reliable, hugely economical, and on paper lacking in any decent power. But numbers on paper aren't everything. A couple of mates have them and they love them. 

Yea.  I have 2 test rides on it, probably 2 hours.  My last bike was a CBF1000.  So, no, the NC750X doesn't have that relentless pull in any gear across the whole range.  It isn't even frightening.

However, it will happily munch highway miles in comfort and the low down torque is really "useful" in traffic.  It feels like it leaps around in little squirts blapping and thumping like a twin.  2nd gear is good for nailing it out of 30mph zones and it has no problems accelerating own the slip road onto the motorway.  As long as you are willing to stir the box and ride it in it's narrow torque window

They're popular affordable touring bikes.. I saw a lot of them last year in the alps.

I came very close to buying one myself in 2018, only opting for the Africa Twin as its better suited to my unlikely inside leg.

I like a bike that's so tall I fall off it getting on.... Ive actually managed to do that once. bliss.

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

They're popular affordable touring bikes.. I saw a lot of them last year in the alps.

I came very close to buying one myself in 2018, only opting for the Africa Twin as its better suited to my unlikely inside leg.

I like a bike that's so tall I fall off it getting on.... Ive actually managed to do that once. bliss.

Epernay 2017? 

I remember falling off my K1200s and breaking two ribs on that trip. 

Edited by rob m

22 minutes ago, rob m said:

Epernay 2017? 

I remember falling off my K1200s and breaking two ribs on that trip. 

No, it was the Africa Twin, so 2019 in Das Eifel,  though I nearly did the same again in Ireland, though that was more about being distracted and bewildered by the view.

2CF6F38A-0DDC-4098-93C7-2D5903C603B6.thumb.jpeg.15123742f3aa92cb936de691be76d1ba.jpeg

• Like 1

The ncx 750 is a good bike all round.  Luckily it was named right.

2 others that come to mind that fall into that category are very fit for purpose but let down by there name...

Honda Duevile - Dullsville

Yamaha TDM - Tedium

Ok I am biased I like my TDM is not enough, corners will tours well does 70mpg. It's not fast but will keep up with all but the most spirited riders.  it however is not the most exciting bike to ride..

I find that people who say such things about a bike like the Deauville calling it a Dullville have probably never ridden one and just join the band wagon. When I bought my First GS all my friends nearly disowned me (old mans bike and boring), now they nearly all ride them. To call something bland and characterless without riding one is their faux pas opinion and we all know opinions are like ar*eholes. 😀 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, billy sugger said:

Ask a Harley rider 🤣

Sorry fastbob😄

Apology not required . That's exactly what I got one for . I rode GSXR 1100's as my main bikes for 20 years . When my 93 GSXR was released it was tested at MIRA and judged to be the most powerful production motorcycle in the World* and the second fastest . ( ZZR1100 ) But I always used to feel like a passenger on the thing . It went faster than I could ride it , it went round corners and it made a pleasing enough sound while it was doing it . Bland ? With hindsight yes , very bland . Those who follow my posts will know that it was my first ER5 that finally made me realize what had been missing from my motorcycling for years . That little thing , with its noise and vibration and it's plucky determination to get down the road was a joy to ride . So much so that I started to leave the GSXR in the garage and go on longer and longer rides on the ER . I rode from Arisaig to Coventry via the lake District in a day once and I felt ready to do it over again the next day . If I had been on the GSXR I would have done the bulk of that journey on motorways and I would have been physically and mentally shattered at the end of it . So it was around this time that it dawned on me that it was time to leave speed behind and get a Harley . And I haven't regretted anything except not doing it years ago .  

Edited by fastbob
  • Like 8

10 hours ago, billy sugger said:

What made you choose the er5

No reason intially . I was looking for a project and I didn't want a four cylinder bike or a 125 and having no four wheeled transport it had to be something that I could ride home . I would have preferred not to have had the hassle of liquid cooling if I'm honest but that's just the way it turned out . It was only after I got an ER5 that I discovered what fun they are to ride and how readily available second hand spares are . Which is why I bought another one . 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fastbob said:

No reason intially . I was looking for a project and I didn't want a four cylinder bike or a 125 and having no four wheeled transport it had to be something that I could ride home . I would have preferred not to have had the hassle of liquid cooling if I'm honest but that's just the way it turned out . It was only after I got an ER5 that I discovered what fun they are to ride and how readily available second hand spares are . Which is why I bought another one . 

There is something to be said about 2 cylinder (or smaller) engines and having to work with them to get the best out of them.  While your mate on the litre bike is "Dum, de dum, de dum" bored able to just dial up and down the revs like a singer, hold 40....0.5 seconds pull, hold 60...  dum, de dum.  You are clicking up and down the box trying to staying the right torque curve band.  But your having more fun "trashing it", "getting your money's worth out of it".  If you have ever tried to trash a litre bike that way.  Good on you.  I "noped" right out of that about 10 seconds later.  Being able to leap frog past cars doing just shy the limit with just a twist to gain 30mph in under a second on the motorway.  I will miss that on a big inline 4.

We won't agree on Harley's though.   I just don't get on with the engineering or the culture, I don't see the point of them and they are still to this day, almost as a feature, inherently dangerous.  But tell me this is a myth.  

Edited by PaulCa

16 hours ago, Pie man said:

I find that people who say such things about a bike like the Deauville calling it a Dullville have probably never ridden one and just join the band wagon. When I bought my First GS all my friends nearly disowned me (old mans bike and boring), now they nearly all ride them. To call something bland and characterless without riding one is their faux pas opinion and we all know opinions are like ar*eholes. 😀 

Used to ride the SERV Dullsville's and whilst in a straight line didnt have much appeal ... cornering was a different ballgame ...especially with 1 being an ex  ambulance service bike had the extended pannier lids on ...oh how close they got to the tarmac some days :)... managed to scrape the pegs a few times on the standard ...

3 hours ago, PaulCa said:

There is something to be said about 2 cylinder (or smaller) engines and having to work with them to get the best out of them.  While your mate on the litre bike is "Dum, de dum, de dum" bored able to just dial up and down the revs like a singer, hold 40....0.5 seconds pull, hold 60...  dum, de dum.  You are clicking up and down the box trying to staying the right torque curve band.  But your having more fun "trashing it", "getting your money's worth out of it".  If you have ever tried to trash a litre bike that way.  Good on you.  I "noped" right out of that about 10 seconds later.  Being able to leap frog past cars doing just shy the limit with just a twist to gain 30mph in under a second on the motorway.  I will miss that on a big inline 4.

We won't agree on Harley's though.   I just don't get on with the engineering or the culture, I don't see the point of them and they are still to this day, almost as a feature, inherently dangerous.  But tell me this is a myth.  

Inherently dangerous ? This should be good . Please elaborate on this point if you would . 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

Must admit I'm all ears for this. 

Thats because the last load of drama has given you a taste for it. Do what I do... walk away, do something useful like, oh... I don't know. search for a Harley bashing website, or something. (must be American based though.... must be.)

like this, perhaps. https://www.goingfaster.com/angst/main.htm

I do think its truly wondrous that a thread with the title this one has, has suddenly shifted over to Harleys... its a funny old life, innit?

Edited by Gerontious
  • Haha 1

If you want some real entertainment look on Triumph websites based in the States where ex HD riders justify why they now ride something else and forget that the civil war is...

A) Over 

&

B) Wasn't about motorbikes in the first place 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4