Black Number Plate On A Modern Bike???

nickjaxe

I have a 2020 Retro T100 Triumph Bonnie....love to put the black show plate I have on it for everyday use....I see lots doing it.

I know its not legal and if stopped risk a fine but no points.

Anybody have any experience of how risky it is.

Nick in Cheshire.

I'd think there is less chance of a pull with those than the ridiculously tiny plates you see on some bikes. If you get a reasonable copper it might be possible to feign ignorance and promise to put proper ones back on.

These are my thoughts only and I'm waiving all responsibility and won't be contributing towards any fines that may accrue :lol:

Also on a test fit.....I stuck it to the normal number plate with blue tack.....so could whip it off in seconds.....holds surprisingly well.

Could always say I have just been to a bike show and forgot to take it off.

Sticky pads are pretty permanent, blu tac is specifically not permanent.

I can't see it really being an issue unless a diligent copper wants to make an issue of it. In which case expect to have everything checked. So they'd pick up on the blu tac at that point.

Make a fixing you can carry with the proper plate to put on if you get pulled. And be ultra polite if it happens. Attitude is everything in this situation.

7 minutes ago, rob m said:

I wouldn't bother to be honest. 

Me too. Its not as if you can see it when you are riding. Seems a bit pointless especially as the bike is a modern retro not the real deal.

• Like 2

These days (i'm guessing) i think the Popo rely heavily on ANPR and traffic enforcement cameras, and as such expect the number of traffic stops for minor infringements (like illegal number plates) to be almost non-existent. 

In my completely uniformed opinion, you'll be fine unless you're tugged for something else first, like speeding or wheelies etc. 

Blu-tak sounds like a rubbish idea though. If you're gonna do it, own it!

Edited by Joe85

This is a bit of a misconception. When I restored classic cars I mainly did early 1970's stuff. In the majority of cases they had been fitted with the, as then, new yellow and white number plates. So on every restoration I fitted yellow and white plates because that kept them original.

Some guys went for black plates thinking they were being retro, when in reality they just showed that they didn't really know what they were doing. Just because you can fit black plates doesn't mean you have to. And they only belong on vehicles that qualify as tax and MOT exempt otherwise they scream wannabe. 

• Like 1

They may not ping automatic cameras the black plates which can be an issue if its stolen. If you do get stopped word of warning plod can inform the dvla who can withdraw the plate its expensive to apply for a new one. Vosa and dvla do some stop checks with police. I know they look nice but sometimes risks outweigh benefits etc

1 hour ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

This is a bit of a misconception. When I restored classic cars I mainly did early 1970's stuff. In the majority of cases they had been fitted with the, as then, new yellow and white number plates. So on every restoration I fitted yellow and white plates because that kept them original.

Some guys went for black plates thinking they were being retro, when in reality they just showed that they didn't really know what they were doing. Just because you can fit black plates doesn't mean you have to. And they only belong on vehicles that qualify as tax and MOT exempt otherwise they scream wannabe. 

Happy to be a wannabe..have them legally on my 1975 S3 Landrover.....bought it new....had white and yellow when new....soon as it hit 40 they were off.....looks some much more in keeping....and makes me happy.....

I am not to much of a rivet counter.

White and Yellow plates are also a horrible reminder of being in the EU.

42 minutes ago, nickjaxe said:

Happy to be a wannabe..have them legally on my 1975 S3 Landrover.....bought it new....had white and yellow when new....soon as it hit 40 they were off.....looks some much more in keeping....and makes me happy.....

What have white and yellow plates got to do with the EU?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Sticky pads are pretty permanent, blu tac is specifically not permanent.

I can't see it really being an issue unless a diligent copper wants to make an issue of it. In which case expect to have everything checked. So they'd pick up on the blu tac at that point.

Make a fixing you can carry with the proper plate to put on if you get pulled. And be ultra polite if it happens. Attitude is everything in this situation.

in other words go with the flow

That's like asking I want to break the speed limit, what's the chances of me being caught?

99 times out of 100 you might get away with it, but the 100th time you might cross paths with a copper or camera van and get nicked.

Depends on where you go maybe aswell, if you attend bike meeting places there is often a heavier Police presence checking for number plates, exhausts etc you might get caught. If you just use it to go to work you would be pretty unlucky to get followed and stopped.

If you are that adamant you want it, fit it and suck it up if you get done.

Or buy a bike pre 1980 and fit it legally.

• Like 1

On 06/03/2022 at 18:59, nickjaxe said:

This has now been stopped, your OK as its before 1980 but any vehicles after that must have yellow plates even when they hit 40

• Like 1

On 06/03/2022 at 18:59, nickjaxe said:

Another EU myth! White and yellow plates were introduced here in 1967, we didn't join the EEC, as it was then, until 1973

2 hours ago, OldEssexMan said:

Another EU myth! White and yellow plates were introduced here in 1967, we didn't join the EEC, as it was then, until 1973

Really don't know where that particular myth came from and a cursory glance at other European number plates would show that. Virtually all.others are basically white plates with numbers and / or letters in a dark colour both front and rear. Personally I have no problem with a yellow plate.