Luggage Recommendation for 1 week trip

Hi everyone.

Looking at going on a week tour either late this summer or early next summer to France possibly Spain and have settled on getting a tail bag. I'm just wondering what would be a good size to go for? I will also use a small tank bag 5l for paperwork/money/essentials.

I inittially settled on a 30l Kriega but then read a review that said it was a bit small? Thn saw a 35l Qbag or soemthing which again had a review that said could do with a few more litres. So then thought perhaps a 20l with 2x10l packs mounted to the side?

I don't know, just curious as to what size people use.

This won't be camping, will be AirBnB/B&B/Hotels

THANKS!

Hi and welcome to the forum 

Size is subjective really as it depends on what you plan on taking with you 

I reckon 35L would be fine for myself for 1 week 

I've searched for a few hours now on Google but it just throws up sites that tell you what to take and how to pack.

From reviews it seems like 30-40l is the going rate for like a week. What I don't want is something too big that flaps about in the wind or that has too much excess room in it.

I don't really want panniers as I have a CB1000R and won't want the racks fitted all the time and that means having to sell them if I get the touring bug and get a bike more suitable which is why I settled on a tail bag of some sort.

4 minutes ago, Bungleaio said:

The kriega's are excellent and are easily added to. I've got a 30 and two 10's. They are great for easily adding capacity should you need to.

So would you go would you say a 30l Kriega and small tank bag would cover me for a week?

Depends on how light you pack. This was mu street triple with a 30 and 10 strapped to the back. I had the other 10 inside somewhere ready to increase capacity if I needed on the way back but I never needed it.

44786740151_2ac8177de6_b.jpg

kriega is expensive but it's very good. I no longer use mine as I have a GS with hard luggage but I'm keeping the kriega stuff just in case I get another bike at some point.

• Like 1

Take a look at Lomo bags. Sensible money, 100% waterproof and various sizes to choose from. I have both the 40ltr and the 30ltr. The 30ltr is ample for me.

When it comes to strapping them to your bike get some Rokstraps, far superior to bungees.

Edited by Yorky
Typo
  • Like 2

Ive a 40l Oxford which works well. depends how much stuff you want to take. only really need clothes for the evenings, and basic stuff under leathers.

The mrs has the oxford 30l and that holds alot too,they both expand from the photos you see.

Just a suggestion. a week in France is doable, but Spain is a major slog. Have you considered the Ardennes/Eifel?  Base yourself either in Luxembourg or close to the border In Germany and you can take advantage of cheaper petrol and have a vast region on your doorstep. Think mid Wales but on a vaster scale.. with the Nurburgring an easy ride away. Stunning roads everywhere and a very easy ride from the Tunnel. Heres a route map for you to look at. I can recommend a hotel for you to base yourself at, at a very reasonable price/ half board. 

eifel.pdf

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Throttled said:

x2 for the Lomo recommendation. Will not leak and although they do not do a specific tail bag, various bags can be bungeed on.

https://www.lomo.co.uk/acatalog/Motorcycle-Motorbike-Dry-bags-Accessories.html

When you say Lomo, I have looked at them but don't want the saddle bags as I've read I need to attach pannier racks which I don't want so I presume you mean the 30/40l holdall things?

2 hours ago, Gerontious said:

Just a suggestion. a week in France is doable, but Spain is a major slog. Have you considered the Ardennes/Eifel?  Base yourself either in Luxembourg or close to the border In Germany and you can take advantage of cheaper petrol and have a vast region on your doorstep. Think mid Wales but on a vaster scale.. with the Nurburgring an easy ride away. Stunning roads everywhere and a very easy ride from the Tunnel. Heres a route map for you to look at. I can recommend a hotel for you to base yourself at, at a very reasonable price/ half board. 

eifel.pdf 799.23 kB · 5 downloads

I'm completely open to suggestions. It will be first adventure so.......... Will start looking for some sites with routes on them at some point.

4 minutes ago, Smok3y666 said:

When you say Lomo, I have looked at them but don't want the saddle bags as I've read I need to attach pannier racks which I don't want so I presume you mean the 30/40l holdall things?

Yes, mine are the 40ltr and the 30ltr Dry Bag Holdall. Unfortunately I bought the 40ltr first and had a lot of unused space in it. The 30ltr was ideal for myself for a 10 day trip. I simply tied it to the rear seat using 2 of the aforementioned Rokstraps.

My luggage recommendations based on the last 4 single week long trips i’ve done ...

25 - 30 ltr RUCKSACK ... 6 pairs of lycra briefs, 6 pairs of socks ... A shirt ... A pair of jeans ... 2 t-shirts.

Motorcycle fabric based outer kit and good waterproof boots all year round.

Current rucksack RST ...

Bungeed to the rear seat / rack ...

As simple as you want it to be ....20210720_061259.thumb.jpg.df6be54da55bb1f6ae390edc148d6b42.jpg

Tank bag has waterproof one piece waterproof over-suit, fleece jumper ... phone, wallet, sunglasses etc

I’ve done a week in France, solo, with pretty well just a large tank bag. Containing 7 Tee shirts, underwear, socks and one pair walking trousers, as well as my wash bag items. Map in map pocket (pre satnav days), wallet in bum bag and disc lock in tank bag pocket. I had a roll up all in one “boil in the bag” waterproof which I strapped to the rear seat.

Nowadays I tour with my good lady, first tour had total of 90l of luggage. She packed far, far too much (eg. she packed a thick sweater in case it got cold in the Alps) so it was a bit of a squeeze.  Last 2 week tour we had 30l space each, providing 10 days* worth of changes + clothes for the evening, with waterproofs, maps, etc. in the topbox, leaving room for a lunchtime picnic snack. 

*we stop at a hotel that has service wash option around day 7 or 8 so we dump the clothes on the evening then collect them washed and dry the next day. We started this approach when we discovered the local laundry outside Zel Am See offered the service. 

I have this one. It’s brilliant. 

DADA12B9-0250-4BD9-8608-DF9E78E1D5FC.thumb.png.1c032d6b247bd0525fff13c1a8ccd3bf.png

Rokstrap it on length or width ways. 
Don’t worry about being able to get on and off the bike with it on. Just use the foot peg to mount/dismount. The side stand will take it no problem. 

Edited by fullscreenaging
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, Smok3y666 said:

Yes the holdall, or the rucksack, which could wear or bungee like a tail bag.

My suggestion layout what you think you need. 

Clothes shoes gear toothbrush everything...

Size it up add 10-20% for things you forgot.

Size it up and then decide, what size bag you want.

I have a pair of soft panniers that I use on the TDM. I also like a decent size tank bag. 

Never been convinced by top boxes and tail packs, they interfer with getting your leg over and can be challenging for pillions..