Anyone been pulled over or fined by the police for using a visor that’s not road-legal?

Troy

I’ve seen many use tinted visors but I am just trying to get an idea of how likely it would be to get stopped.

Assuming “PC Plod” isn’t having a bad day….

Edited by Troy

Very unlikely, but there are likely scenarios where it could happen. Near busy meeting places if the police decide to do random spot checks. Or if your stopped for actually breaking some rule or other then it might possibly be checked. But, by normal traffic police for this one specific reason? Seems very unlikely. If it’s black and apparently opaque then that might raise the risk level somewhat.

20 years riding and never had a dark visor mentioned! 

I know an ex bike cop and he once told me they see them as a safety feature and at worst they would ask if you have a spare clear one 

I was once pulled over for being a little enthusiastic when on the way home

I went flying down the road past a copper in a side street unbeknown to me!  and over a flyover with the cop hunting me down!

He pulled me over and asked what the rush was! My reply was I have a dark visor on and its getting dark I want to get home while I can see :lol: 

They went over the bike pulled me up about the small plate and loud pipe and for riding like a dick and said this is looking expensive for you isn't it! I nodded and agreed he said slow down and get home and sent me on my way 

No mention of the dark visor from him :? 

As Gerontious said, it’s unlikely.  However, if they pull you for another misdemeanour then they’ll probably pick up on the visor as well.  They carry a device called Tintman to see how much light the visor lets in,  and check its legality.  If you’re daft enough to wear one in bad weather or at night then I’d probably expect a pull, other than that I wouldn’t worry.  I was actually told sun glasses were illegal,  not sure if it’s true, but I even see plod driving with sunnies on.

1 hour ago, manxie49 said:

I was actually told sun glasses were illegal,  not sure if it’s true, but I even see plod driving with sunnies on.

Oddly only if you lift your visor up! as its not approved eye wear :? 

• Confused 1

Just now, Bianco2564 said:

In the event of a crash and insurance claim, could the insurance company say a tinted visor was a contributory factor and try to wriggle out of paying up? 

I suppose that would depend on the circumstances of the incident! 

I know of someone who had their car reversed into by a UPS van while she was posting a letter. Insurance company wanted her to accept 50% of the blame!! :scratch:

As such I am pretty certain an Insurance company will do whatever they can to not pay out, I'm sure the wrong visor, small plate, loud exhaust, go-faster stripes etc would be ample excuse!!

I am a cynical git though :lol:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tiggie said:

I know of someone who had their car reversed into by a UPS van while she was posting a letter. Insurance company wanted her to accept 50% of the blame!! :scratch:

As such I am pretty certain an Insurance company will do whatever they can to not pay out, I'm sure the wrong visor, small plate, loud exhaust, go-faster stripes etc would be ample excuse!!

But so right I'm sure. I was checking a critical illness policy at work I should have been in line for an 11k payout but nope reading the small print! 

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Tiggie said:

Any incident where someone is reversing tends to put the responsibility fully on the person reversing. I learnt this a couple of years ago when I was driven into while reversing in a car park. Mrs angry came round a corner at speed and wasn’t able to stop before hitting my car yet I got the blame.

From an insurers point of view, anything that materially affects the risk can result in “average” being applied.

I wouldn’t wear an illegal visor my own safety anyway.  My Neotec has a flip down dark visor so it’s a moot point. 

• Like 1

@Steve_M

I have a theory that the reason the person I spoke of ( a friend of my bosses) got asked to accept 50% liability is that she had a porsche so the bill would be huge for the work needing done!

Wouldn't of been any damage at all to the UPS van, they are like tanks

20 hours ago, Stu said:

Oddly only if you lift your visor up! as its not approved eye wear :? 

What about normal glasses, they are no different. 

Of they allow glasses then they would allow prescription sunglasses