Licence confusing record

georgerdp

Hi, 

Does anyone know what the text formatted bold means?

You can drive a motorcycle of a power exceeding 35kW or with a power to weight ratio exceeding 0.2kW per kg, or A motorcycle of a power not exceeding 35kW with a power to weight ratio not exceeding 0.2kW per kg and derived from a vehicle of more than double its power. A motor tricycle with a power exceeding 15kW.

This is coming from my driving licence record.

I've been yesterday to test-drive a motorcycle and the guy that was checking my driving licence has told me that my driving licence is restricted.

That is certainly not possible.

Here are my details:

Screenshot 2022-05-29 at 11.51.28.png

driving lc.jpeg

Hi, I've passed full motorcycle licence in Romania in 2009.  (Hence the 70ROU code after exchange)

I've been driving in UK, in the last 10 years SV650, FZ6, GSXR750, CBR600 F4i etc

I've been to court for speeding on this licence in 2016 and no one has ever mention of a restriction as such until Yesterday when I went to test drive the new XSR900.

Edited by georgerdp

Thanks guys, clear enough. I find redundant the fact that they wrote " or A motorcycle of a power not exceeding 35kW with a power to weight ratio not exceeding 0.2kW per kg and derived from a vehicle of more than double its power." . 

I didn't know what to make out of it.

Your answers confirm my knowledge.

• Like 1

Codes

https://www.gov.uk/driving-licence-codes

Categories 

https://www.gov.uk/driving-licence-categories

It's more than not exceeding? 

Category A

You can drive:

• motorbikes with a power output more than 35kW or a power to weight ratio more than 0.2kW/kg
  • motor tricycles with a power output more than 15kW

You can also drive motorbikes in categories A1 and A2.

• 2 months later...

Well I found this while searching the same thing. My 17 year old son has just started driving lessons. Once he passed his cbt I sent his licence off to have this added to his provisional licence. I don’t know why I did but I read something somewhere which said it was worth doing. Well it’s come back with cat A from his 17th birthday. Now, knowing the rules as I do, I know this can’t or at least shouldn’t be right. I’ve checked with his dad who is a driving instructor and examiner and a full uk bike licence holder. Sure enough his full licence and my sons provisional both have the same. When I check online, his shows cat A for motorbikes and has the exact wording you’ve written above?? I know it must be a mistake as he’s only done his cbt and by my understanding of the rules he was restricted to a 50cc untill he was 17 and then could ride up to a 125cc. I am sooooo confused

• 5 months later...

Hi everyone, I read this post with interest as I have a similar query. My categories are as the original post aside from the date in column 12 being 79(3). However I was literally one of the last 'year groups' to be able to ride a 125 on L-plates forever (as I understand it). So I asked for that to be reinstated - I hadn't asked for it or authorised 'the powers that be' to remove it during a licence change a few years ago. All I got back was the categories as per original post. That doesn't seem to put me back to where I was, unless someone clever can explain please? If I can go with 125 I'll be happy for short runs to the train station.

Thanks in advance

1 minute ago, Daddio said:

Hi everyone, I read this post with interest as I have a similar query. My categories are as the original post aside from the date in column 12 being 79(3). However I was literally one of the last 'year groups' to be able to ride a 125 on L-plates forever (as I understand it). So I asked for that to be reinstated - I hadn't asked for it or authorised 'the powers that be' to remove it during a licence change a few years ago. All I got back was the categories as per original post. That doesn't seem to put me back to where I was, unless someone clever can explain please? If I can go with 125 I'll be happy for short runs to the train station.

Thanks in advance

Hi and welcome to the forum 

There never was a category allowing you to ride a 125 with L plates forever 

To ride a 125 on L's you need to do a CBT and its actually ridden on your provisional 

To not have to do the CBT you would have to do some form of test to give you the full licence 

1 hour ago, Daddio said:

Hi everyone, I read this post with interest as I have a similar query. My categories are as the original post aside from the date in column 12 being 79(3).

If you have passed your car driving test you will have the 79(3) - in motorbike section it allows you to drive a 'motorised tricycle'.. not a motorbike.

ETA if you want to ride a 125 you need a valid CBT cert

Edited by Tigs

• 7 months later...

Looking at my licence this evening and somewhat at a loss to understand it. I passed my full motorcycle test in Northern Ireland and many years later moved to Wales and updated my postal address. Never paid much attention to the new categories until this evening and discovered my category A has a (79)3 restriction. Now having looked on the gov site and entered my details to view my licence, scrolling down I see Vehicles you can provisionally drive motorcycle of a power exceeding 35 kW or with a power to weight ratio exceeding 0.2 kW per kg, or A motorcycle of a power not exceeding 35 kW with a power to weight ratio not exceeding 0.2 kW per kg and derived from a vehicle of more than double its power. A motor tricycle with a power exceeding 15 kW. 

Have they removed my full entitlement to ride any motorcycle? 

Thanks in advance. 

Rob

hi @Blade929 welcome to the forum 

That could well be the case! 

There has been a lot of stories of this and unless you can prove otherwise they will say you never had it and you will have to sit your test again 

Post a pic of the back of your licence 

On 23/09/2023 at 18:58, Blade929 said:

Looking at my licence this evening and somewhat at a loss to understand it. I passed my full motorcycle test in Northern Ireland and many years later moved to Wales and updated my postal address. Never paid much attention to the new categories until this evening and discovered my category A has a (79)3 restriction. Now having looked on the gov site and entered my details to view my licence, scrolling down I see Vehicles you can provisionally drive motorcycle of a power exceeding 35 kW or with a power to weight ratio exceeding 0.2 kW per kg, or A motorcycle of a power not exceeding 35 kW with a power to weight ratio not exceeding 0.2 kW per kg and derived from a vehicle of more than double its power. A motor tricycle with a power exceeding 15 kW. 

Oh no, that's a disaster. :classic_sad:

On 23/09/2023 at 18:58, Blade929 said:

Have they removed my full entitlement to ride any motorcycle? 

Yes.

Edited by bonio

18 hours ago, Stu said:

hi @Blade929 welcome to the forum 

That could well be the case! 

There has been a lot of stories of this and unless you can prove otherwise they will say you never had it and you will have to sit your test again 

Post a pic of the back of your licence 

Thank you for the welcome. 

I have photographs of my previous licence before sending it off for an address change. Which show no restrictions against the A category. 

I don't know why I didn't pick up on this before now. I was just browsing and came across a video quite randomly which had me looking at my own licence. And this address change took place a few years ago! 

I will be contacting the dvla and see what progress I can make. 

I may also have the very old paper licence and the provisional which was endorsed with the test date etc. 

Be very careful if you have to send them to DVLA. they don't accept photocopies, even when signed to show they are a true copy of the original (been there, done that) and are very good at losing originals. 

As I was informed at the time (2005) "we don't make mistakes, it's up to you to prove you have a full licence. 

PS

it cost me a huge fine, points on the licence they said I didn't have, and £6000 fighting them in court  after getting pulled and told my licence did not cover the bike I was riding (kawasaki Z400) 

12 minutes ago, billy sugger said:

Be very careful if you have to send them to DVLA. they don't accept photocopies, even when signed to show they are a true copy of the original (been there, done that) and are very good at losing originals. 

As I was informed at the time (2005) "we don't make mistakes, it's up to you to prove you have a full licence. 

PS

it cost me a huge fine, points on the licence they said I didn't have, and £6000 fighting them in court  after getting pulled and told my licence did not cover the bike I was riding (kawasaki Z400) 

Did you get the licence issue sorted out with them or did you have to retest?

11 minutes ago, billy sugger said:

PS

Will do Stu, I've done a little more web searching and found posts dated in late 2000's suggesting they do accept photos taken of a previous licence detailing the entitlement..... I'll find out soon I guess as I'll make a call on my next day off. 

Edited by Blade929
  • Like 2