Emission Zones

onesea

What a PITA ignoring London, where they have already done the job. I will not be driving or riding there unless under duress..  Non of my vehicles are compliant.

I had wanted to go to the motorcycle Barn just because, well I am not paying for the pleasure.  

Now looking at some rides, I am not scared of cities in fact exploring by motorbike can be a nice way to do it.

What a mess until someone explains as a guide...

Clean air zones outside London:

https://www.gov.uk/clean-air-zones

Bath, Birmingham, Bradford (charging starts on 26 September 2022), 

Bristol (charging starts in late 2022), 

Greater Manchester (under review),

Portsmouth.

Emission Zones inside London:

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/low-emission-zone

"The LEZ is separate from the Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) "

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone

In short put your number plate in here and it's easy...

https://vehiclecheck.drive-clean-air-zone.service.gov.uk/vehicle_checkers/enter_details

Oh and avoid London..

Edited by onesea
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

My 2017 model bike is okay for all of them so far. Expect a surge in cloned number plates and innocent people getting bills for non-payment!

Friend had exectly this. He had to go to court twice judge was happy it wasn't him or his old car. He still kept betting bailiffs courtesy of tfl took a year to get sorted. The car was the same model and colour but clearly different. 

• Sad 1

It's all just another tax, it's "FA" to do with the environment and clean air.  If it was, vehicles would be banned, but so long as you can afford to pay the fee's, your vehicle can be there dirtiest, most ill maintained in the country.  Just another money grab, and I'm sure I'm the same as most other normal people,  I'm sick and tired of it.  I have a mate that lives in the US, he openly says they laugh at us over here, and tag this country "Tax capital of the world" ..... And yes, I now avoid London like the plague, the only time I ever head down that way is to visit my brother in Uxbridge.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, manxie49 said:

It's all just another tax, it's "FA" to do with the environment and clean air.  If it was, vehicles would be banned, but so long as you can afford to pay the fee's, your vehicle can be there dirtiest, most ill maintained in the country.  Just another money grab, and I'm sure I'm the same as most other normal people,  I'm sick and tired of it.  I have a mate that lives in the US, he openly says they laugh at us over here, and tag this country "Tax capital of the world" ..... And yes, I now avoid London like the plague, the only time I ever head down that way is to visit my brother in Uxbridge.

The Birmingham one is a joke parts of some roads are and some are not included in the zones. Poor signage and sometimes by the time you see the sign you are committed to entering. The system to pay for it has issues, as said its a cash cow. The wind carries any pollution for miles. I'm sure the reduction in speed limits on motorway to 60 nationally would be more effective than patchy emissions zones but I'm no expect. I'm all for car sharing and public transport but timings don't always work with public transport depending on working hours and looming strikes in Birmingham coinciding with the commonwealth games who would have guessed that! Government wanted work from home and now they dont all these policies don't match up. With my new pending work role I need to travel Into the city centre of Birmingham there is an office 2 miles away I could reach by pedal cycle but no! Rant over 🤣

• Like 1

I suspect @MikeHortonhas hit the nail on the head. We would achieve much more by reducing motorway speeds. A drop of 10mph would reduce pollution considerably whilst making virtually no difference to journey times. 

We've had family in hospital over the past couple of months and done about 2.5k on motorways in the past few weeks. The fuel cost has been beyond what our usual budget is so I've been cruising at a steady 60. My mpg has increased by a significant amount, the time it takes to get from A to B hasn't altered much beyond 2-3 minutes. It's counter-intuitive but cruising at a steady 60 doesn't make the journey time any longer than my usual driving at 70.

• Like 1

Fortunately I have no reason to visit London, if we did it would be for sightseeing and then I'd take the train and use public transport while there.

Train is approx 1 hr from Rugby and services every 15 mins or so.

Whenever we go anywhere near a city centre, we use the park and ride services, done this in York,Oxford & Chester. Much easier than trying to find somewhere near the centre to park and usually reasonably priced.

Checked the clean air zones for the M3, R1 & SS125;  M3 & R1 are free everywhere except ULEZ. SS is free everywhere inc central London.

Buy a classic bike; no tax,MOT or congestion charge.

• Thanks 1

60 or 70 in my van makes little difference, air con makes a definite difference had it on for a couple of hours and it dropped mpg from 41.5 to 40. 

Driving style, acceleration and planning ahead are the best ways to eek out more mpg. 

Like said it's really just a cash cow.

I live in Portsmouth and at the moment it's only HGV and commercial vehicles. But we all know that will change at some point.

It's really not made very clear when you are entering the zone as well.

• Like 2

Last time I checked my Euro3 bike is complaint with the London ULEZ my car is Euro6 so ok, my daughter lives just inside the ULEZ and had to replace a perfectly good car in order to not get fined.

• Like 1

Just tax on top of tax, my diesel estate is not due, it’s joke, 2litres Diesel engine, 2.5 tons of car.

It is nothing about clean air or pollution just money. Every few years e will have to sell perfectly good cars/bikes and spend money on new ones. Soon it will must be electric. Than we will have to pay tax for battery disposal etc….

This world is going in bad direction.

• Like 2

When we arrive to the ports we are getting shore connection so we turn off Diesel engines and we are running on shore side electric. That electricity is obviously green😂😂😂, made of what and where??

Just pathetic 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Marino said:

When we arrive to the ports we are getting shore connection so we turn off Diesel engines and we are running on shore side electric. That electricity is obviously green😂😂😂, made of what and where??

Just pathetic 

However “the Port of Southampton came out as the fourth most impacted by SOx pollution, caused by 44 cruise ships spending 6,059 hours in port in 2017, emitting 27 metric tons of SOx while in port, which is 8.5 times more than the 261,000 cars registered in the city.”

https://www.groundstation.space/a-city-inside-a-city-focus-on-cruise-ship-pollution/

I am not a resident of the city but can understand why they want cruise ships to plug in and move the  pollution elsewhere.

The the council brought it upon themselves, they allowed all the berths to built with No infrastructure for shore connections… 

• Like 1

Still pollution is somewhere and will impact us one or another way, it is just “hiding garbage under the rug”

what should port of Miami say, 3- 5 ships every day 365 days a year.

yes I am for reducing pollution but it is not just cars  and ships, what about airplanes.

Anyway we started about tax, money, so I still believe it is just way of taking people money, legalised government criminal, that will not reduce pollution. 
And yes when we arrive in ports beside we are on shore power we are paying carbon tax, 

Still in my opinion pathetic 

• Like 1

Checked my car reg on B’ham ulez site & it says no charge as it’s a hybrid … no it’s not but who am I to argue 🤣

• Haha 1