Observation about safety equipment

Davidtav

So I’ve just read a post on a Facebook page for my bike. About helmets. Usual discussion about economy v premium brands. And it struck me that my other passion is sailing. And I suppose the equivalent safety equipment is a life jacket. I look at a few sailing forums etc and I cannot remember a single post about economy v premium life jackets. Now some life jackets have additional features for different types of sailing etc. But I honestly think that sailors believe if it’s made to the right standard. And regularly serviced. Then it’s ok … seems completely different attitude prevalent with motorbike helmets. And I honestly don’t completely understand why … as I said it’s an observation. I’ve probably missed something 

I guess styling is pretty defunct, it's ment to float with you in it,  helmet has a lot more leverage for brand and style. 

Similar with the main function, I'm sure there are lots of materials and ways to make a life jacket but it's role is very specific, float when required. 

Helmets have lots of variance along with keeping your head safe with lots of options and ways to achieve that. 

Just waffling, I've only ever been on powerboats or canoeing 😁 

Yeah. I do kind of agree. I’ve thought about it. Helmet is to protect you in a millisecond when your head is smashing the tarmac. Life jacket needs to work and stay inflated for at least 24 hours

The manufactures might of skipped a step here it won’t take long for them to catch on..

They can charge £18 for a pair of not so special socks.
B709211B-372D-4447-8442-035A634B855D.thumb.jpeg.bc4489520307b8f36fcda62f40c1f2c0.jpeg

Last time I know of a must have life jacket it was a buoyancy-aid for dinghy racing by Rukka but that was for to long ago..

However mention offshore jackets, deck gear (Harkin of course) and the prices soon become…

6DFAD555-AAD3-4164-B418-E2144B0A5F7A.thumb.jpeg.ab61f2e0e5260293d7360f2f7b55c2e7.jpeg
That a Gortex jacket no armour just a little CORDURA on the bum to stop wear..

Motorcycling sadly is being infected by the bug of the most expensive is better and that must be safer….

It starts on your first gear shopping trip, you must buy the best, you can afford.  On here there are those that will shout the same…

PS if your looking to cause a debate on a sailing page, can I recommend anchors,  the actual wearing of life jackets when or if, self servicing life jackets, laminate v Dacron sails for cruising….

9 minutes ago, Bender said:

I certainly fall into the pay for quality where my protection goes, we're i to have to choose a pair of gloves from aldi over walking well I like a walk 😁 

I know. I get it. I’m much the same. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Davidtav said:

So I’ve just read a post on a Facebook page for my bike. About helmets. Usual discussion about economy v premium brands. And it struck me that my other passion is sailing. And I suppose the equivalent safety equipment is a life jacket. I look at a few sailing forums etc and I cannot remember a single post about economy v premium life jackets. Now some life jackets have additional features for different types of sailing etc. But I honestly think that sailors believe if it’s made to the right standard. And regularly serviced. Then it’s ok … seems completely different attitude prevalent with motorbike helmets. And I honestly don’t completely understand why … as I said it’s an observation. I’ve probably missed something 

There is another side to this. Sailors are used to free motive power, the wind, so going for a sail doesn't involve filling a tank with fuel. They therefore tend not to have mindset of spending money.

I was talking to a guy who runs a boatyard, he said powerboat owners could be persuaded to buy anything as they were used to getting their wallet out. Sailboat owners were much less likely to want to spend anything.

My budget so far this year for both boats has been £7.50.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

There is another side to this. Sailors are used to free motive power, the wind, so going for a sail doesn't involve filling a tank with fuel. They therefore tend not to have mindset of spending money.

I was talking to a guy who runs a boatyard, he said powerboat owners could be persuaded to buy anything as they were used to getting their wallet out. Sailboat owners were much less likely to want to spend anything.

My budget so far this year for both boats has been £7.50.

Don't know about that, when I had an offshore sailing boat there were some pretty eye-watering purchases, especially sails but other kit too. As for life jackets I had a 275 N one which was inflatable and not cheap. Whenever we left an anchorage or harbour I wore it and it was habit. I used to spend about £200 a year just on antifouling. The main reason I got shot of it once I was only using it for 3-4 weeks a year was it cost me about 5k a year and it became not worthwhile. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marino said:

Definitely boating is not cheep sport 😀😀

Depends upon how you do it, that goes for coastal and offshore…. I have owned and maintained sailing boats between 19’ and 35’ for the last 20 years.

They have cost me £2-3k a year including upgrades, berthing and depreciation, it can be done cheaply. 

However it does mean to run bikes and boats my free time is 50/50 Maintenance and play.  However I generally enjoy the maintenance on boat and bike and try and do it in more inclement weather…

• Like 1

15 hours ago, onesea said:

Depends upon how you do it, that goes for coastal and offshore…. I have owned and maintained sailing boats between 19’ and 35’ for the last 20 years.

They have cost me £2-3k a year including upgrades, berthing and depreciation, it can be done cheaply. 

However it does mean to run bikes and boats my free time is 50/50 Maintenance and play.  However I generally enjoy the maintenance on boat and bike and try and do it in more inclement weather…

Thats cheep, I had boat in Croatia and only berth was that much a year (2500 eur) including dry berth. And hat was years ago. Insurance , registration and all other costs another thousand more, plus maintenance and was used 15 or 20 days a year if I was lucky.

so decided to sell it and if I go there I just rent it for a week or two, 

• Like 1

Life jackets (aka Bouyancy aids) can be more complicated.

When I used to water ski LIfe jackets had to be CE marked, but if you were buying one you were well advised to buy one that was also US coastguard approved. The reason, US ones had to not only support you in the water. but had to be strong enough that you can be lifted out of the water by the life jacket. Many EU ones were not strong enough.

I think as motorcyclist we put a lot more though into Helmets than boaters/sailors do for life jackets.

Lucian_2018_06_03.jpg

I'm pretty sure that life jackets and buoyancy aids are two different things.

A buoyancy aid is designed only to give you additional buoyancy to make it easier to stay afloat.

A lifejacket has to have a greater degree of flotation, hence most are gas operated, and it must be able to turn an unconscious person onto their back to avoid them drowning by being face down. 

I suspect lifejackets get more attention. Buoyancy aids are the poor relation and often overlooked in terms of expiry date. 

I think motorcycle helmets have considerably more features / aspects to consider than flotation devices / life vests … Top Trumps anyone? 😁

• Like 1

Motorcycles helmets have a lot more thought and design put into them than life jackets. They are also designed with a degree of fashion appeal unlike lifejackets.

Both will help keep you alive in certain specific circumstances.

16555070042824572742960716609464.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My hubs is a dingy racer. Hates spending anything and still has the same bouyancy aid hes always had. I dread to think how old that thing is..... and the bouyancy aid 🤔

• Haha 5

On 28/06/2022 at 07:39, gymwitch said:

My hubs is a dingy racer. Hates spending anything and still has the same bouyancy aid hes always had. I dread to think how old that thing is..... and the bouyancy aid 🤔

I wouldn't usually pick up on spelling but there is a difference between dinghy and dingy so we need to know more.

A dinghy is a smaller sailing vessel such as a Laser, RS200, Enterprise, GP14 etc.

Dingy refers to things that are tatty and unkempt.

Sounds like your beloved is a stingy dingy dinghy racer.

• Haha 2

Be careful about socks. Nobody thinks about their socks until it’s too late. Remember, ankle socks are an absolute nono. And never ever wear those silly ones with the knitted toes or it can get very messy very quickly.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I wouldn't usually pick up on spelling but there is a difference between dinghy and dingy so we need to know more.

A dinghy is a smaller sailing vessel such as a Laser, RS200, Enterprise, GP14 etc.

Dingy refers to things that are tatty and unkempt.

Sounds like your beloved is a stingy dingy dinghy racer.

Dinghy as in Solo 😊

• Like 1