Petrol prices

Magpie

I was speaking to a plumber who told me he's refused a few jobs due to the travel cost. It's just not viable for him to travel 25 miles out to a job then 25 miles back. :|

Said his van is costing him around £100 for 3/4 of a tank 

41 minutes ago, Tiggie said:

I was speaking to a plumber who told me he's refused a few jobs due to the travel cost. It's just not viable for him to travel 25 miles out to a job then 25 miles back. :|

Said his van is costing him around £100 for 3/4 of a tank 

I'm prob at 150\160 a week at about 700mile, I don't turn jobs down I just charge more, so far no one has said no. 

I can easily do 75 mile on a round trip for a single job, derv is bad but it's the time your sat driving that's still the biggest loss. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Bender said:

They are an expensive hobby... 

Not necessarily. We have an Eriba Puck, a very small two berth van which we bought many years ago off an elderly couple. It's now worth a lot more than when we bought it and with fuel prices rocketing it looks likely to increase further. 

So the cost of the van isn't a factor. 

It can be towed by a medium sized car, we use a 2010 Astra. It is a pop top so wind resistance is minimal. 

Maintenance is simple. The average lifespan of an Eriba is over 30 years as opposed to under 10 for your usual 'wobbly box' type of caravan. 

A week away on a good site is under £300 as opposed to over £1k for a cottage. We have to take school holidays so the prices are hiked. 

The market for the huge lumbering monstrosities that caravan manufacturers have been pushing which need huge cars to tow them is surely going to collapse and I shall dance on the funeral pyre. 

Small, simple and cheap is much more fun. 

I took my lads up to climb Ben Nevis the other weekend. There and back to the Wirral on a full tank, about £105.

Still cheaper than the train,  which would have cost us about £600.

• Like 1

Costco near me is doing £1.79 for E10, £1.89 for E5. Which compared to the Asda next door at £1.88 and £1.99 isn't too bad. 

Cost of E5 has sure evened up a lot with E10 I've noticed. Must be a huge drop off in demand for E5. 

I know someone who has recently bought a new Dacia Sandero with lpg option. Apparently it is about £0.70 per litre to fill up with lpg. … and the car looks great actually. I think it was about £12k. … must admit it’s tempting to get one as well. But I suspect the price of lpg might increase soon

1 hour ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Not necessarily. We have an Eriba Puck, a very small two berth van which we bought many years ago off an elderly couple. It's now worth a lot more than when we bought it and with fuel prices rocketing it looks likely to increase further. 

So the cost of the van isn't a factor. 

It can be towed by a medium sized car, we use a 2010 Astra. It is a pop top so wind resistance is minimal. 

Maintenance is simple. The average lifespan of an Eriba is over 30 years as opposed to under 10 for your usual 'wobbly box' type of caravan. 

A week away on a good site is under £300 as opposed to over £1k for a cottage. We have to take school holidays so the prices are hiked. 

The market for the huge lumbering monstrosities that caravan manufacturers have been pushing which need huge cars to tow them is surely going to collapse and I shall dance on the funeral pyre. 

Small, simple and cheap is much more fun. 

Yours is a tourer, Micklys is a static on a site with a yearly rent any where between 2k to 4.5k stab in the dark there are less and more expensive sites. 

Insurance, some make you go through site even though it is now illegal, gas test some try to make you go through site, same as ins. 

Electric now going through roof, gas, already gone through roof, poor @Mickly can't even afford the right size gas bottles 😁

Another combi boiler to look after, @Micklyif yours is original a few of the parts are obsolete, gimmie a shout if you need bits though.

Hmmmm depreciation, unless your on a site that will sell it on site for you and take a cut, it's huge depreciation. 

Some not all are on water meters, etc the outlay just goes on and on. 

Tourer great, do what you want when you want and apart from a service now and then it's a kinda pay per use thing 😁 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bender said:

They are an expensive hobby... 

It is, it’s a static & with what we pay we could have a couple of very nice weeks in a posh far flung exotic place.

However, it is used by the family, kids, Mum, brothers, sisters, grandkids, who, if it wasn’t for us and our van, would not be able to afford to have a holiday at all.

We also get about 8 weeks a year away in it.

We can’t charge family for using it as it brings lots of letting & insurance complications with it & if we did it on the sly and the site owners ever found out we would be kicked off….

Maybe I should just ask for a small contribution to a bike fuel fund.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mickly said:

It is, it’s a static & with what we pay we could have a couple of very nice weeks in a posh far flung exotic place.

However, it is used by the family, kids, Mum, brothers, sisters, grandkids, who, if it wasn’t for us and our van, would not be able to afford to have a holiday at all.

We also get about 8 weeks a year away in it.

We can’t charge family for using it as it brings lots of letting & insurance complications with it & if we did it on the sly and the site owners ever found out we would be kicked off….

Maybe I should just ask for a small contribution to a bike fuel fund.

Nothing stopping them making a contribution to the local beer charity in a completely unrelated transaction 😁 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Ian Frog said:

I know it`s not helpful but I have just waved goodbye to my Harley Dyna superglide (1584cc) to it`s new and I hope happy owner and rather than go responsible and economic I am afraid I will be collecting a 2019 1838cc Fatboy at the weekend.

We can`t take it with us lol.

Whatever choice you make I believe you live with it and make the best of it.

Cheers 

Ian

You need to look after it! … after all this is Fast Bobs next bike in about three years!

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Davidtav said:

You need to look after it! … after all this is Fast Bobs next bike in about three years!

Ha Ha 

I personally don`t think so but if I did decide to sell it at some point I would probably ask around on here anyway.

By the way there is a very clean 2005 Hayabusa waiting to be sold which I must get on with cleaning and advertising.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Bender said:

Yours is a tourer, Micklys is a static on a site with a yearly rent any where between 2k to 4.5k stab in the dark there are less and more expensive sites. 

Insurance, some make you go through site even though it is now illegal, gas test some try to make you go through site, same as ins. 

Electric now going through roof, gas, already gone through roof, poor @Mickly can't even afford the right size gas bottles 😁

Another combi boiler to look after, @Micklyif yours is original a few of the parts are obsolete, gimmie a shout if you need bits though.

Hmmmm depreciation, unless your on a site that will sell it on site for you and take a cut, it's huge depreciation. 

Some not all are on water meters, etc the outlay just goes on and on. 

Tourer great, do what you want when you want and apart from a service now and then it's a kinda pay per use thing 😁 

Fair point. I've never regarded statics as caravans. They might have wheels but they never use them.

A bit like some people's bikes.

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Ian Frog said:

Ha Ha 

I personally don`t think so but if I did decide to sell it at some point I would probably ask around on here anyway.

By the way there is a very clean 2005 Hayabusa waiting to be sold which I must get on with cleaning and advertising.

Cheers

Ian

I'd love to buy your busa but pigs may fly before I could afford it 😆 

I'm sure you'll have no shortage of offers for it, they're always popular.

51 minutes ago, Ian Frog said:

Ha Ha 

Cheers

Ian

Just parted with my 04 Black stealth Hayabusa nearly in near mint condition ( 4 minute stone chips ) £3.990

4566F716-5CBB-4089-8CE5-F28DB6B02699.jpeg

1 hour ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Fair point. I've never regarded statics as caravans. They might have wheels but they never use them.

A bit like some people's bikes.

The technical legal term for your tourer and a static is a leisure accommodation vehicle, unfortunately they are related 😂 

Back to mpg, after my van taking a hit with the aircon a few weeks back I'm now on a mission to see how high I can get it, as its an average and the current one has been going some time it takes a fair bit to get it going the right direction. 

I've managed to get it from 40.5 to 42.7 in just over a week 

DSC_0432.JPG

• Like 1

On 08/07/2022 at 12:59, Davidtav said:

I know someone who has recently bought a new Dacia Sandero with lpg option. Apparently it is about £0.70 per litre to fill up with lpg. … and the car looks great actually. I think it was about £12k. … must admit it’s tempting to get one as well. But I suspect the price of lpg might increase soon

They were saying in one of the classic car magazines a few weeks ago, LPG is not going to be sold much in future. I think it was BP, and shell, are going to replace LPG pumps with electric charging points. https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/news/bp-starts-withdrawing-lpg-from-petrol-stations

A lot of classic cars have been changed to run on LPG so a bit of a protest from classic owners.

Edited by bud
  • Like 1

Just to think that yesterday I got a full battery on my Leaf while at work...

Enough to get home and back to the office on one charge :thumb:

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, husoi said:

Just to think that yesterday I got a full battery on my Leaf while at work...

Enough to get home and back to the office on one charge :thumb:

Nobody likes a show off.🤑

• Haha 2

I'm so glad that I've retired and got the hell out of dodge (UK) and moved to Tunisia. It used to cost me £35 to fill the K1100 from the fuel coming on. That coupled with fueling the wife's Nissan Juke £50, as and when it needed it, which when left to me wasn't too often as I used bike for both work and pleasure. 

Over here it costs about £10 to fill the bike up from fuel light on, at the minute we've not got a car but even if we do get one it's still going to cost far less to run both than to run either in the UK. 

Over here if the govt put prices up and the people don't like the increase they protest to the max and hey ho the price comes down until the people are happy with it. Pity people in UK don't do this, then maybe the govt would think twice before screwing everyone over with the massive taxes etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Metcalfe said:

I'm so glad that I've retired and got the hell out of dodge (UK) and moved to Tunisia. It used to cost me £35 to fill the K1100 from the fuel coming on. That coupled with fueling the wife's Nissan Juke £50, as and when it needed it, which when left to me wasn't too often as I used bike for both work and pleasure. 

Over here it costs about £10 to fill the bike up from fuel light on, at the minute we've not got a car but even if we do get one it's still going to cost far less to run both than to run either in the UK. 

Over here if the govt put prices up and the people don't like the increase they protest to the max and hey ho the price comes down until the people are happy with it. Pity people in UK don't do this, then maybe the govt would think twice before screwing everyone over with the massive taxes etc.

I don't think it's just the tax element. People are a bit stupid the top of our town there are 3 garages they are always the same price within 2p of each other. Less than 1/2 a mile down the road is another garage usually about 10p cheaper admitted not at the moment. People still fill up at the more expensive garage. I think if you asked them they wouldn't know how much they are paying they just do it. Rough times ahead in the UK not helped by another change of government but things will get better 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

There's a pig farm near us. The farmer has had to install netting to prevent them all flying away. 

No it will things have been worse before and got better. It's the way of the world. I remember my dad telling me of interest rates in the 70's. Imagine how people in Sri Lanka, Ukraine etc are getting on. Think positive or give up as there's no point! 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, bud said:

They were saying in one of the classic car magazines a few weeks ago, LPG is not going to be sold much in future. I think it was BP, and shell, are going to replace LPG pumps with electric charging points. https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/news/bp-starts-withdrawing-lpg-from-petrol-stations

A lot of classic cars have been changed to run on LPG so a bit of a protest from classic owners.

For over 10 years I been running my MPV on LPG - currently between £0.70 and £0.78 per litre. I've noticed there are far more fuel station in Euroland that supply LPG, the BP issue has been and gone, I try not to use BP for anything, their fuel and shops are the dearest around here. Our local Morrisons have two LPG pumps. :thumb: 

• Like 2