Which Tyres??

daveinlim

I recently bought a cbr600f which have Bridgestone battlax BT16 on them but the rear is starting to get close to needing replacement and is squaring a little too. 

Tyre size is 120/70/17 on front and 180/55/17 on the rear. 

Having looked online there's tons of choice and I don't know where to start. The bike will be used throughout the winter as a commuter (heres hoping ceramic coating and xcp keeps the rust away). 

Some variation of a sports touring tyre is probably best. I do a lot of motorway miles and city riding so needs something that won't square off too quick and something good in the wet for the winter. But there seems to be a never ending list of options. 

Any suggestions to narrow it down?

As above PR's are the tyre of Choice. 

However at the moment I am running Avon Storm 3d xm. 

Because they where cheaper at the time than just a front in the PR range.

I have no complaints in the way or dry, seem to be wearing well.  Even 2 up on a 250kg bike.

I think PR's are good but selling at a price that over reflects the benefits.  I also have never changed one without it being punctured, normally at last few 1000 miles..

Check reviews but most top end sports touring tyres will suit. If money no issue then PR's at the latest model.

Edited by onesea
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, husoi said:

For me Bridgestone all the way.

Tried Michelin pilot 4 and didn't like it

For the cruiser Mitas is the way to go.

I belive the soft compound on r5 are suited to lighter bikes, think they have a bit of movement if your overweight 😁 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Bender said:

I belive the soft compound on r5 are suited to lighter bikes, think they have a bit of movement if your overweight 😁 

Well I'm definitely not a skinny teenager. The 600 is about 200kg and I'm just under half that again.

Winter rider here as well, Michelin Road 5's for me, when they need changing I'll be going over to the road 6's.  I've ridden in some horrendous weather and they have never let me down, excellent all rounders.  I have heard though, if you do a lot of motorway riding, they have a tendency to square off, although I have only heard that rumoured.

• Thanks 1

Hi @manxie49 I agree with you but having just done a 2000 mile round trip on them 2 up to the South of France including the return journey in torrential rain mine have survived the motorway remarkably well.

So I have stopped worrying about squaring off as I think loaded like I was that would have ruined them if they had a problem.

Cheers 

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ian Frog said:

Hi @manxie49 I agree with you but having just done a 2000 mile round trip on them 2 up to the South of France including the return journey in torrential rain mine have survived the motorway remarkably well.

So I have stopped worrying about squaring off as I think loaded like I was that would have ruined them if they had a problem.

Cheers 

Ian

I agree with you, I've been using them for a couple of years now and nothing but good things to say about them .... The squaring of was the usual run of the mill rumouring you hear flying around, usually from people who have never used them.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ian Frog said:

@daveinlim What part of london are you in?

I have a friend who lives in Ruislip and does fitting from home with all the kit including dynamic balancer.

He might even be able to get the tyres competative price.

Cheers

Ian

I'm in Watford but could make my way to Ruislip, I know the area well

• Like 1

I'm running on Bridgestone Battleax's on my BMW K1100LT. Got BT45 on rear and BT46 on front and so far done best part of 8000 miles of which 90% has been fully loaded with the "boss" as pillion and the rear still has plenty of life left in it and shows no signs of squaring off given at least 50% of the mileage was done on French & Italian motorways while riding over here to Tunisia last November. We also did over 2000 miles in May this year round Italy and even had the pleasure of getting caught in a thunderstorm and still found that the Bridgestones had plenty of grip.

My view on tyres is go for the ones you feel offer you the best for the bike and your riding style and use. It's pointless paying a fortune for super sticky sports tyres that don't last if all you are doing is commuting etc. What tyre suits one rider won't suit another it's all down to personal preference and what you feel comfortable and safest with

• Thanks 1

+1 on BT46 Battlax. Absolutely superb tyre, wet or dry.

I couldn't get them in a hurry when setting off touring last summer, so put on Avon Road Riders instead. I think the Bridgestone have a tiny bit more grip... not much in it though. 

• Like 1