Advise on a motorbike to commute to London

ichayan

I am considering a 42 mile commute to London through A21->M25->A2. I don't know much about motorbikes, but back in the day I used to ride a Royal Enfield classic 350. My main consideration is mileage but at the same time I do not want something under powered on a motorway. I never rode a sports bike, so I don't know how it feels like to ride long distances. Any advise is highly appreciated. I do not want to spend a lot of money as well. I am considering something around £2000-£3000 mark.

Similar distance to my commute,  albeit I'm only there once or twice a week.

I'd be looking for something like a Kawasaki Versys 650 or a Suzuki V-Strom 650. Not too much plastic fairing to break in the event of a minor spill, but still with a bit of weather protection, screen etc.  Heated grips would be useful in bad weather. Plenty of power. Space for a top box. Comfortable riding position.

Don't forget to factor in jacket,  boots,  gloves, waterproofs etc.

I enjoy the commute, but it certainly doesn't save me much - if any - money.

• Like 1

I'd certainly recommend a bike that has a topbox. Riding that sort of distance with a rucksack can get boring pretty quickly. It would also help keeping things dry if it's raining, whilst also keeping some spare gloves/waterproofs in. 

The choice of bike is purely your choice, but I'd go with something with fairing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2002-2005 600cc Honda CBR600RR or GSX-R600 sports bike.

Can be had for £2-3k.

Riding positions are not as aggressive as the others or newer models.

Your core/back muscles will have to strengthen a bit to get used to the position. An hour each way is tolerable.

Great for motorway cruising or blasting - depending on your mood, more power than you can handle and you'll always look forward to riding it.

Great for filtering as you will be doing a lot of that on the A2 and anytime there is an accident on the m25 and traffic comes to a standstill, which is everyday. 

As others have said, If you're planning on doing this commute soon, you will need to learn how to layer up to keep warm, get heated gloves and waterproofs for Dec, Jan, Feb & maybe March.

Wind chill sets in fast on the motorway.

If you don't wear the right gear, your fingers will be freezing before you've even left the A21 and the first thing you'll do when you get to your destination will be to open up Autotrader and look for a car. 

Edited by techniques

2 hours ago, techniques said:

2002-2005 600cc Honda CBR600RR or GSX-R600 sports bike.

Can be had for £2-3k.

Riding positions are not as aggressive as the others or newer models.

Your core/back muscles will have to strengthen a bit to get used to the position. An hour each way is tolerable.

Great for motorway cruising or blasting - depending on your mood, more power than you can handle and you'll always look forward to riding it.

Great for filtering as you will be doing a lot of that on the A2 and anytime there is an accident on the m25 and traffic comes to a standstill, which is everyday. 

As others have said, If you're planning on doing this commute soon, you will need to learn how to layer up to keep warm, get heated gloves and waterproofs for Dec, Jan, Feb & maybe March.

Wind chill sets in fast on the motorway.

If you don't wear the right gear, your fingers will be freezing before you've even left the A21 and the first thing you'll do when you get to your destination will be to open up Autotrader and look for a car. 

Is this generation ulez compliant? I'd have thought you'd have to get a cert even if it is within emissions. I've the 2011 version and agree it's a great all rounder 

1 hour ago, daveinlim said:

Is this generation ulez compliant? I'd have thought you'd have to get a cert even if it is within emissions. I've the 2011 version and agree it's a great all rounder 

I don't think so.

Usually 05 vehicles swinig either way and you need to prove it and 06+ you're clear. My K3 is not ULEZ compliant. My old 05 SV650 was but I had to prove it.

Definitely something worth factoring into price when deciding which bike if you're commuting within the ULEZ.

15 hours ago, techniques said:

I don't think so.

Usually 05 vehicles swinig either way and you need to prove it and 06+ you're clear. My K3 is not ULEZ compliant. My old 05 SV650 was but I had to prove it.

Definitely something worth factoring into price when deciding which bike if you're commuting within the ULEZ.

For commuting into London I'd be looking at something euro 4 which was around 2011 I think. Ulez has recently been expanded in London and there's talks of a further massive increase in the area it covers meaning if you're travelling anywhere near London you'll need a ulez compliant vehicle. Pain for people with nice older bikes and cars that are well maintained. 

• Like 2

Maybe slightly over budget ,CB500x or 500F ,42 miles you will want something good on fuel and reliable and not too nickable if your in London 

43 minutes ago, Mattt said:

Maybe slightly over budget ,CB500x or 500F ,42 miles you will want something good on fuel and reliable and not too nickable if your in London 

and also make sure you have a secure place to park, and two big chains and padlocks.  Commuting you need something that will filter easily, offer some weather protections and space to carry whatever you need so a rack and topbox is probably important.  Panniers are handy but they tend to make filtering more difficult.

Getting back to biking is expensive  decent kit is not cheap so make sure you budget for this

On 04/11/2022 at 10:01, daveinlim said:

For commuting into London I'd be looking at something euro 4 which was around 2011 I think. Ulez has recently been expanded in London and there's talks of a further massive increase in the area it covers meaning if you're travelling anywhere near London you'll need a ulez compliant vehicle. Pain for people with nice older bikes and cars that are well maintained. 

True my old fazer might have to be replaced if khan gets his way but hoping this current financial crisis kills his plan 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I think the ULEZ for London requires only euro 3 for bikes. Which means you could consider an earlier BMW F800GT like say 2013. Perhaps a bit more expensive but it's a really competent bike with a good fairing and no chain. With a top box fitted,  it would be great for your journey.

• Like 2

On 23/12/2022 at 08:24, bonio said:

I think the ULEZ for London requires only euro 3 for bikes. Which means you could consider an earlier BMW F800GT like say 2013. Perhaps a bit more expensive but it's a really competent bike with a good fairing and no chain. With a top box fitted,  it would be great for your journey.

Yeah euro 3 is the current standard although I would try get a euro 4 as they have made changes to car rules recently so I'd try preempt them changing it for bikes 

• 11 months later...