How cold was it last night?

Bender

Given a choice, I take -5 outside over +1. +1 is just damp and orrible.

But I guess I'd think differently about it if in a drafty old barn like yours 🥶.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, bonio said:

Given a choice, I take -5 outside over +1. +1 is just damp and orrible.

But I guess I'd think differently about it if in a drafty old barn like yours 🥶.

It’s warming up here to around to slightly above freezing. The difference it makes to our draughty old place* is significant. 

*slightly less draughty after coughing up to have the sash windows double glazed and draught proofed. 

1 hour ago, manxie49 said:

Too firkin Cold!  Burst pipe in the garage!  What a mess 🙄

5a53d0c4ec1ade0e533fe907-778582045.png

I have a frozen pipe that feeds our outside tap to deal with. Luckily I managed to isolate it. That’s a springtime task… sod sorting it out on this weather. 

• Like 1

Step daughter had a strange noise coming from her boiler cupboard … that’s all I had to go on 🙄

It transpired that the exit pipe from the condensate pump had frozen somewhere in the loft.

so it’s temporarily fixed with a short piece of hose & a bucket, hopefully the pipe hasn’t split & I’ll just have to lag it when the weather & my mood improves.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Fozzie said:

It's almost like a haze that you can see through easy enough, but it's always just *there*.

However yesterday when I had to get to site, I turned it on and within 2 minutes, a thick 1-2mm of ice was defrosted. That said, I do think a tactical bottle of tepid water would do the job fine. Had it for 3 years so thinking of changing in the year year. 

Always annoys me that they heat the windshield, but didn't run a trace heat line down the screen wash pipe. You defrost your windscreen, drive for a few minutes and go to wash the now salt covered screen and nothing. I'm running a really strong mix of screenwash, but it never seems to stop the nozzles icing up. 

I've just driven 250 miles this evening.

Got off the motorway to country roads.

Salt has covered the lights, couldn't see a thing unless I had full beams on. Had to pull in and clean the lights to be able to see

• Like 2

Our daughter's boiler has packed up.so she's staying with us. I'm pretty sure it's just the condensate pipe that's frozen. 

Our boiler is in the garage but it has a frost stat so it's been running regularly most of the time. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Tiggie said:

I was happy this morning. I only had to de-ice the outside of my car. Every day this week the inside of my windscreen has been frozen over 🥶

Oh I know that feeling, scraping it off covers my dash in a fine layer of snow.

Sounds crazy but if your car alarm doesn't object leaving a window open the slightest amount can help.  Alternatively putting an electric fan heater on in it for afew hours to dry the moisture in the car.

Check your boot well and other areas for pools of water.

For me it's short journeys 2 wet dogs and there water bowl that probably does it.

Edited by onesea
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, onesea said:

Oh I know that feeling, scraping it off covers my dash in a fine layer of snow.

Sounds crazy but if your car alarm doesn't object leaving a window open the slightest amount can help.  Alternatively putting an electric fan heater on in it for afew hours to dry the moisture in the car.

Check your boot well and other areas for pools of water.

For me it's short journeys 2 wet dogs and there water bowl that probably does it.

Happened to my old work van after 20 litres of water leaked out a portable pressure washer into the passenger footwell 

10 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Our daughter's boiler has packed up.so she's staying with us. I'm pretty sure it's just the condensate pipe that's frozen. 

Our boiler is in the garage but it has a frost stat so it's been running regularly most of the time. 

Same as above, remove condensate and shove a hose into a bucket, boiler off is bad as your running the risk of frost damage to boiler. 

1 hour ago, Bender said:

For any one who may own a caravan/holiday home, let's hope you remembered to turn the water off last time you left 😂 

DSC_1297.JPG

DSC_1286.JPG

DSC_1284.JPG

DSC_1283.JPG

We always drain down the caravan at the end of the season, thank god.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Steve_M said:

I have a frozen pipe that feeds our outside tap to deal with. Luckily I managed to isolate it. That’s a springtime task… sod sorting it out on this weather. 

Yes, mine was the pipe that feeds the tap in the garage .... If I didn't use it to wash the road salts of the bike I think I'd have probably left it as well.  I've had the dehumidifier running all night, everything down there was soaked.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Bender said:

Best be a big tin, all the other rads are same, boilers fooked and not a bit of pipe without a burst. 

Is that all in a caravan?