PayPal scam

Bender

First time we've had this one

Received an email from PayPal with regards unpaid money request. 

Someone got my email and you can use that to generate an official request via PayPal. 

Now I'm not sure what happens if you ignore the notification from PayPal, had to log into PayPal and cancel the request. 

Logged it with PayPal who have put restrictions on the account until we log back in and no doubt change passwords etc. 

We use it very infrequently so contemplating just closing it, either that or link it to a bank account with £1.00 in it. 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, keith1200rs said:

I had this a few weeks ago.  Decided to remove all payment methods from my PayPal account as a precaution. I rarely use PayPal now anyway. 

I did exactly the same, couldn't see a way to delete the request

I had this happen months ago. I just cancelled it and that was that. heard nothing afterwards. It's nothing more than a phishing scam. they send 1000s of these 'requests' and if only 5% do it, without thinking. as some probably do. it soon adds up. Its like the "missed delivery - please pay X" scam, probably with the same results. a fair sized whack of cash ends up in the scammers pockets. because some people are gullible and pay without thinking. and as long as this continues...

• Like 2

Yesterday I had 10 missed deliveries apparently which given where I am is physically impossible I just deleted. Boils my pee though as I have limited Internet access when I'm away and having it clogged with spam is really irritating. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

Yesterday I had 10 missed deliveries apparently which given where I am is physically impossible I just deleted. Boils my pee though as I have limited Internet access when I'm away and having it clogged with spam is really irritating. 

Instead of deleting them. Move them to your junk folder. You will never receive another one with that exact address in you inbox again. 
Also, if you think it’s dodgy move it to your junk before you open it. If it is dodgy the sender will not know it’s been opened if you open it in your junk folder. 
mid you open it in your inbox the sender knows it’s a live account and you’ll just get more. 
This does not mean you won’t get any future emails of the same ilk as the scammers know all this and change their email address by one letter or digit each time, so they still slip through. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, fullscreenaging said:

mid you open it in your inbox the sender knows it’s a live account and you’ll just get more

It depends on your email program and how it's set up. With thunderbird you can avoid opening 3rd party links unless you specify in inbox

I had a GOOD scam the other day they knew:

My mobile number,

My Name,

My bank Name,

First half of post code,

Where I had been recently, -  like 250 miles from home,

I was looking at renewing my mobile phone contract,

When they started asking bank details I refused, they said I could phone back and put the phone down.

I immediately phoned my bank and they where not interested at all, as I had given no personal details away.

They where very professional and convincing I have to say.

I never open them and they are automatically put into my spam folder. I just scroll down the list, make sure there's nothing in there which isn't spam and then click on delete all. Very occasionally if there's one that appeals to my perverse sense of humour I may open it in the spam folder just to see what tripe they are trying on.

• Haha 1

Talking to a customer at work. His parents thought they were being scammed. Kept getting messages etc telling them to log into their bank account. They were ignoring it for ages. The son had a look at one of the messages when he went round to visit. It was a message on their actual online banking app.

Turns out they've won 10 grand on their premium bonds!! :shock:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4