Red light?

Fiddlesticks

Came across this one yesterday.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3051338,-3.0549991,0a,80.6y,149.86h,87.19t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sB3YLlVTjXdpxEF_siF-u-g!2e0

I'm in the turn left lane. Lights are on red. There is no traffic light to my left, so ordinarily I'd think that the lights only apply to the straight on lanes. Additionally, there's a give way mark further ahead before the left turn.

However.. There's a white stop line across all three lanes.

What do you think?

Edited by Fiddlesticks

Yeah, that looks odd. I'd say it doesn't apply to a left turn but the stop line throws it off.🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by goat
Line not sign

I agree with what Yorky said ....... The stop line makes it confusing and seems to be a bit out of place, I can understand the need for give way at the junction, but why the stop line??  Is it potentially there for the safety of cyclists or pedestrians crossing??  Some roads are getting frustratingly more confusing to navigate, doesn't surprise me that's there's accidents at some of these junctions.

Edited by manxie49
  • Like 1

I think I've taken this junction a few times, there's one like it in Manchester as well. I get the impression someone painted a line where one didn't need painting. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

I think I've taken this junction a few times, there's one like it in Manchester as well. I get the impression someone painted a line where one didn't need painting. 

Agreed.

• Like 1

That junction is a bit deranged but.

1. lights apply to straight on only as there’s no set to the left of the left turn lane.

2. There’s a solid white line across the lane; is there any earlier signage indicating a stop? Whichever, I would assess that as a stop for pedestrians approaching from the left or right (new Highway Code rules?).

3. if no pedestrians I would continue to the give way line and assess whether it’s safe to turn left.

There are clear rules on road markings which the responsible organisation should abide (local council). It might be worth emailing to ask WTF this is. 🤷

• Like 1

Has there ever been a separate set of LH only lights there? If it'd been taken out by an accident, but when google did their street-map drive past it hadn't been replaced it'd explain a lot. That said, no signs of an old post or deep cuts in the grass.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I'd read that as the left lane being a give way at the dotted lines, not controlled by the traffic lights. There is no traffic light to the left hand side of the left lane.

That’s how I read it also. 

As has also been said. The left lane was once controlled by a traffic light and the solid line has not been covered over. 

Edited by fullscreenaging
  • Like 1

Something similar near me, however there is a light on the left, white stop line then give way lines a few yards ahead, with is in mind, I would just give way at the junction, but stop at the lights at this one.

image.thumb.png.13c2c67b80b02de6a872c12b0f1f97bc.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steve_M said:

There are clear rules on road markings which the responsible organisation should abide (local council). It might be worth emailing to ask WTF this is. 🤷

Already did. Having an email knockabout with local bureaucrats can be good fun if you're of a certain disposition.

Recently I tried to pick my address off one of their online forms, only for the confirmation page to show an address I didn't select, three doors away. The weirdest bug ever! Managed to get them to fix it, with a bit of persistence and humour.

Will post any updates.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

An update!

Dear Mr. Fiddlesticks

I refer to your recent enquiry concerning the above which has been forwarded onto me for my attention.

I can confirm that I have inspected the area and have observed that the stop line has been marked in error and accordingly a works package has been issued to our contractor for the location to be corrected.

Yours. etc

The Council

Now if I could only figure out how to get rid of these ridiculous 20mph zones that are plaguing our streets...

Edited by Fiddlesticks
  • Like 2

Screenshot_20230521-1716122.thumb.png.b67decc0a35019541a01e8fb6614b71c.pngJust hope it's cheaper to remove a white line than install a traffic light or the local council will of created there ultimate goal.

Another traffic jam.

A fair few years ago on that junction.  There was absolute bedlam,  a horse peacefully grazing on the verge.

Cars stopping flashing people leaping out of cars to stop traffic, we slowed and drove carefully round.

As you we would of we where in the New Forest, we looked at each other then realised. The horse was out of place!

Edited by onesea