Motorcycle collision with a Deer

Andy7312

I know this seems a strange post, but I am really struggling to cope with what happened this weekend and for my own piece of mind i need clarification if my actions were correct or if I was just very lucky. I feel extremely grateful that I am able to sit here today and have the ability to write this post.

On Saturday morning my self and a relative went for a ride out in the Cotswolds. This was a practice run on fully loaded bikes before attempting an off-road camping trip in the Pyrenees in a couple of weeks time.

Before we met I was travelling on the A40 near Oxford, when suddenly a small deer appeared and ran across the carriageway a short distance in front of me, when I saw the deer it was in the overtaking lane. I was in the nearside lane doing approximately 65 - 70 Mph. Foolishly I sounded my horn which startled the deer, at which point it turned around and started to run back across the nearside lane.

With not much time to think my dilemma was either hit the brakes and try to stop or accelerate to try to miss the deer.

I ride a BMW GS 1250 Rallye. The bike is 250 kg plus myself and 35kg of luggage. I was immediately concerned that if I started to break the deer would have more time to cross the lanes and could potentially be more of a direct hit and secondly my concern was that if I braked hard the bike would be in a very unstable configuration with a lot of weight transferring to the front wheel, if I were to hit the animal I would almost certainly be thrown off.

My choice was the latter to accelerate hard even though I could see that a collision was immanent. My thought was that by pushing the weight to the back would make the bike more stable. Well a collision did occur and I am still not sure what part of the bike collided with the deer, but I suspect it was the right side cylinder but not sure. The outcome for me was somewhat of a momentary wobble but nothing severe that could not instinctively be corrected. Sadly the outcome for the dear was not so good, I am just thankful that there was no other rider behind me.

So my question is did I do the right thing, or would there have been a better course of action to take. I would be most grateful for any seasoned rider to give me their view on this.

Thanks Andy

You are alive and didn't sprawl down the road so you should call that a win. Deer are very flighty and non too bright so difficult to predict what they'll do. Many deer will run head first into cars and so do the 'hittingng's as opposed to bring hit. Have a beer and toast your luck. 

• Like 1

Saw one taken out by a car a few years ago. Driver most unhappy. Local farmer not so much - put it out of its misery and drained the blood. Fifty quid round the back of the local gastro pub.

• Like 1

Difficult to be certain from the description but I don't tend to use the horn for wildlife and would always brake to avoid a collision rather than accelerate. At least then if a collision occurs it will be a lower speed one. I would let the bike electronics try to keep the bike stable/upright.

There’s little point in trying to analyse the actions taken in a moment. Things like this can and do happen. Not just deer. My biggest fear are actually pheasants. And to a lesser extent over excited loose dogs. Do what you can and try not to think about it afterwards or it can get into your head and lead down a spiral.

• Like 2

Hi Andy,

I've had deer jump out at me, but never had a collision - thankfully. They're my least-favourite potential road kill. What kind of deer was it? Muntjac, Fallow, Red? A red deer would be truly terrifying.

Nothing to add really, just to repeat what's been said:

horns and animals are a bad combo - a spooked animal is less predictable than a calmer one.

slowing down was a good call - if worst comes to worst, it's better to come off at a slower speed :D

don't dwell on it too much; learn what you can and move on

Hope you have a great time in the Pyrenees!

Wildlife can be totally unpredictable. Sometimes you have to go with your instincts in a given situation and it sounds like you made a quick judgement that turned out ok.

There are times to brake and there are times to use the throttle to get out of trouble. As others have said with wildlife the horn is often less helpful.

A mate was killed when a pheasant flew out of hedge and hit him full in the face at speed. It broke his neck. Sometimes there's nothing you can do at the last minute, but you can try to predict when issues might arise and do what you can to mitigate risk. So if I know there are pheasants around, or signs for deer, I'll try to keep my speed down. Hitting an animal in a car is one thing, on a bike it is something entirely different.

You made the call and it turned out ok. Afterwards you're reviewing that call which is sensible. But when you're dealing with the unpredictable the only thing you can do is to practice mitigating risk before it presents itself.

• Like 2

Only you can say if you did the right thing or not, but as you didn't end up in the ED or worse, I would say whatever you did was right for you at that time, given that set of circumstances.  Me personally, I probably would have hit the brakes.  Scrub off some speed and lessen the potential consequences of the impact.  The GS you ride is also packed full of gizmos to help keep you shiny side up, so I wouldn't be too concerned about performing emergency stops.  But what ever you did, things turned out well, and that's the main thing.  Hindsight is a wonderful thing,  and I'm sure we've all done post mortems on accidents and near misses we've had in the past.  I wouldn't let it play on your mind, just look at it as a learning experience. 

Thanks everyone for your input. It was a MuntJac, which is a little less terrifying. However i think I would agree that the horn was a bad call. As for the rest i am not sure but thankfully on this occasion it worked. One think I can say is there is not too much time to process the options.

Thanks All

• Like 2

Sounds like you took the right actions for that occasion :thumb:

Animals are unpredictable. Next time you could do the exact same thing and it could be a completely different result. 

I do what @Mississippi Bullfrog does and slow down in certain areas. There's a couple of shooting estates round my way which seem to have very high stocking rates of pheasants and there's a high chance of them flying out. The other thing to remember is muntjac are often alone but if you see a larger deer that looks like it might cross or has just crossed then it often won't be alone so expect more to suddenly appear behind it.

Living in the New Forest deer are a constant danger. Along with horses, Cow’s pigs donkeys I am sure there’s more.

I must admit, if I am going to have to hit a deer I will probably choose to do it with some speed.  However I have done numerous fast stops and swerves to miss various animals.

As other have said if you see a deer your likely to see more.  

Also worth noting with wild life generally moves for a reason.  Around Sun set & Sun rise, Windy generally often make them more edgy, rain will see them moving to shelter etc. Saturday/ Sunday shoots will often liven up the pheasants.

If you see animals an animal on the move your likely to see more.

Most animals want to cross roads for a reason (ask a chicken), few stay on them without a reason.

In the forest Ice will bring out road gritters,  then you get horses on the roads licking the road salt off.  Or they shelter in the shade under bridges, or they stand on them to enjoy the warmth after getting cold.

4 hours ago, bonio said:

Hope you have a great time in the Pyrenees!

But be aware there is a lot of wildlife there, even bears !  Watch out for wild pigs early in the morning and later in the evening. These things are bloody solid, hit one of these and it's like hitting a wall !

9 hours ago, Ronnie said:

But be aware there is a lot of wildlife there, even bears !  Watch out for wild pigs early in the morning and later in the evening. These things are bloody solid, hit one of these and it's like hitting a wall !

Don't have to go to the Pyrenees for the wild pigs. Forest of Dean is heaving with the bloody things. My personal bete noires are sheep on moorlands. Damned things just wander around the road and they tend to come in numbers.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

Don't have to go to the Pyrenees for the wild pigs. Forest of Dean is heaving with the bloody things. My personal bete noires are sheep on moorlands. Damned things just wander around the road and they tend to come in numbers.

Goats.. who get it into their strange little minds that motorcycle seats look delicious. and having a taste is the number 1 priority.

closest call for me was a marmot.. a huge rodent, in the alps. having one of those suddenly leap out while there is a sheer drop to the side and a wall that seems to be 6 inches high separating you from certain death is definitely not an experience I care to repeat. though it doesn't bare comparison to the tunnel of doom. but that sorry tale can wait for another day when I can stand to repeat (and recall) the trauma.

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1