Things I've learned from one day of riding!

Al Gear

Good afternoon. I thought I'd join here to see what I can gleen from more experienced riders and see what confidence I can gain from new riders on the same journey. 

So far I've only been out once, to work, on my new MT125. On my 20 mile journey I encountered an impatient tailgating van scaring the heck out of me, all massive, in my mirrors, THREE emergency vehicles shooting by requiring me to manoeuvre accordingly, padestrians stepping out in front of me, crazy car zooming across me at a roundabout and really strong winds. I handle them all, got to work safely and proudly, stopped outside my building...... And then toppled over..... For no reason..... Doing ZERO miles an hour! 😂 😂 So lesson one was, I'm gonna need more practice! 

On my way home I learned lesson two. Out of about 6 sets of traffic lights I encounter in my way home, 4 of them didn't register my approach. This is something I've literally never heard of before but, upon arriving home, I discovered is been a problem all over the world for years. 1 of them changed as a car approached opposite but the other 3 I just had to creep through (it was about 2am so there weren't any cars). 

I really enjoyed the experience of being on a bike though. It's worlds apart and really liberating.

The only other problem I'm having is the effort. I'll still commute on it, weather permitting, and I love the idea of going on longer journeys on it, but when it comes to smaller journeys, like visiting a local friend or relative, I look over at the bike and think, "I have to put on my biking trousers, biking coat, biking shoes, helmet, gloves, remove the cover and fold it up and bring it in, unlock the chain and remove it from round the wheel, unlock the disc lock, unlock the gate, wheel the bike through, lock the gate and FINALLY leave....... Or I could just walk out the front door in what I'm wearing and get in the car. 😬"

So that's where I am. So wet behind the ears I'm practically drowning, but also exciting to start planning little holidays when I get the time off work. 🤞 

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, Al Gear said:

And then toppled over..... For no reason..... Doing ZERO miles an hour!

Once you face stopped and you need to manoeuvre the bike about, put the side stand down, get off and walk the bike. This saves any unnecessary drops from trying to paddle the bike about. 

If you have use of the car then I agree about using it for short trips over the bike. 😁

Welcome in. 

1 hour ago, Al Gear said:

toppled over..... For no reason..... Doing ZERO miles an hour! 😂 😂 So lesson one was, I'm gonna need more practice! 

Good afternoon, and welcome to the world of riding a motorbike. Practice and experience will aid how you deal with the behaviours and issues you’ve encountered. 

However. I’ve been riding a little over30 years and the bike having a little lie down at standstill still happens occasionally. It’s always when I haven’t noticed that there’s a camber or similar making the ground further from my seat than usual such that when I put my foot down it isn’t where I expected it to be. With a tall bike (and pillion, fully loaded with luggage.. *cough*) this is a bit embarrassing l 😁

3 hours ago, Al Gear said:

The only other problem I'm having is the effort. I'll still commute on it, weather permitting, and I love the idea of going on longer journeys on it, but when it comes to smaller journeys, like visiting a local friend or relative, I look over at the bike and think, "I have to put on my biking trousers, biking coat, biking shoes, helmet, gloves, remove the cover and fold it up and bring it in, unlock the chain and remove it from round the wheel, unlock the disc lock, unlock the gate, wheel the bike through, lock the gate and FINALLY leave....... Or I could just walk out the front door in what I'm wearing and get in the car. 😬"

Hi,

for me the way forward is planning. If the weather is shit or the journey is through somewhere awkward l take the 4 wheeled version.

Going somewhere good or on an adventure allow the time to get your  gear together and the bike out is all part of the fun.

You'll soon find out what you do and don't like.

Welcome - One thought to keep in your head:

'Everyone out here is trying to kill me'

So, look out for the unexpected - Ride at a safe speed - Slow down at junctions and be prepared to take evasive action.

As to traffic lights - If you can see where the sensors are under the road surface, make sure you sit on top of them when the lights are red - They should detect your engine.

Most of all - Enjoy!

• Like 1

Every day is a learning day on a motorbike ..... I started in a field when I was 14, I remember my uncle telling me, if I can ride around the field without falling off then it'll make me better on the road when I'm old enough, and I believe that to be true, I've done a fair bit of off roading over the years, and I truly feel that it's made me better on the roads.  Even now though, with all the experience I have on two wheels, I occasionally still have a crap day out on the road, where everything seems to be against me.  I wouldn't worry too much about dropping the bike, we've all done it at some stage or another.  Just learn from the bad days and move on, thats pretty much what I do, just remember that there no such thing as perfection ..... we all F--- up at some stage.  Welcome to the forum 👍

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, manxie49 said:

Every day is a learning day on a motorbike ..... I started in a field when I was 14, I remember my uncle telling me, if I can ride around the field without falling off then it'll make me better on the road when I'm old enough, and I believe that to be true, I've done a fair bit of off roading over the years, and I truly feel that it's made me better on the roads.  Even now though, with all the experience I have on two wheels, I occasionally still have a crap day out on the road, where everything seems to be against me.  I wouldn't worry too much about dropping the bike, we've all done it at some stage or another.  Just learn from the bad days and move on, thats pretty much what I do, just remember that there no such thing as perfection ..... we all F--- up at some stage.  Welcome to the forum 👍

I've been told to treat everyone else on the road like an idiot and to go steady.  My bike only does 35mph at the most so no danger of me speeding 🙂

15 minutes ago, janinej said:

I've been told to treat everyone else on the road like an idiot and to go steady.  My bike only does 35mph at the most so no danger of me speeding 🙂

At least it's not a newer 50cc they are restricted to 28mph.

7 hours ago, Al Gear said:

On my way home I learned lesson two. Out of about 6 sets of traffic lights I encounter in my way home, 4 of them didn't register my approach. This is something I've literally never heard of before but, upon arriving home, I discovered is been a problem all over the world for years. 1 of them changed as a car approached opposite but the other 3 I just had to creep through (it was about 2am so there weren't any cars).

I used to ride through the city at 2-3am and the first set of lights I came across took forever to change, so I presumed it wasn't registered and ran them on red.

I did this for every set of lights on my commute for months, until there was another car in view (not at the junction) and I didn't want to run a red infront of it, thinking I'd be sat there forever.

The lights turned to green almost immediately and that was the moment I realised that those first set of lights that I ran months ago were just on a cycle and took a minute or two to turn green, so I'd been running reds for months for no reason 😳

There used to be a road (edge lane I think) with multiple sets of lights in Liverpool.

If you got stopped by the first set then floored it to 60 as they changed (in a 30) you got every light on green.

If you did 30 you got every light on red.

You did have to remember to show for the speed camera on the 3rd or 4th set of lights.

All good fun.

12 hours ago, onesea said:

There used to be a road (edge lane I think) with multiple sets of lights in Liverpool.

If you got stopped by the first set then floored it to 60 as they changed (in a 30) you got every light on green.

You did have to remember to show for the speed camera on the 3rd or 4th set of lights.

All good fun.

Other ways of getting banned are available 🤡

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, janinej said:

Wise words, I never trust anyone when out riding, in my experience they always seem to do exactly the opposite of what you expect, even other bikers.  I know that from the experience or riding round this rock during TT.  I read a while ago something which I found amusing but true "treat all other roads users like paid assassins all out to try and kill you".  👍

• Like 1

I must be getting old and sensible.  After last week seeing the biker four cars ahead of me get taken out by an old duffer emerging from a side road I've invested in a yellow vest for the winter commute.

Not a bad idea. But keep in mind that, even though your chances of an old (or young) duffer seeing you may be improved by your yellow vest, they're still very low :-( 

• Like 3

It's a big yes to the hi vis vest from me and always have your front light on too, it is much easier to see bikers and cyclists that wear bright colours  than all black, not so cool looking but better than being hit !!  But make sure you get a zipped version, the velcro ones can come apart and flap

• Like 2

On 22/10/2023 at 12:20, Al Gear said:

got to work safely and proudly, stopped outside my building...... And then toppled over..... For no reason..... Doing ZERO miles an hour! 😂 😂 

Welcome to the S.A.D club  - otherwise known as Stopped And Dropped.

• Haha 2

On 22/10/2023 at 12:20, Al Gear said:

Good afternoon. I thought I'd join here to see what I can gleen from more experienced riders and see what confidence I can gain from new riders on the same journey. 

So far I've only been out once, to work, on my new MT125. On my 20 mile journey I encountered an impatient tailgating van scaring the heck out of me, all massive, in my mirrors, THREE emergency vehicles shooting by requiring me to manoeuvre accordingly, padestrians stepping out in front of me, crazy car zooming across me at a roundabout and really strong winds. I handle them all, got to work safely and proudly, stopped outside my building...... And then toppled over..... For no reason..... Doing ZERO miles an hour! 

So that's where I am. So wet behind the ears I'm practically drowning, but also exciting to start planning little holidays when I get the time off work. 🤞 

Welcome, and for what it's worth it sounds like you did pretty well on your ride to work. The fact that you handled all the hazards that came your way means that you won, so keep winning 👍👍👍

Little holidays are a brill idea - you will iron out any uncertainties by the time you get back home and be at one with your bike!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Fiddlesticks said:

I must be getting old and sensible.  After last week seeing the biker four cars ahead of me get taken out by an old duffer emerging from a side road I've invested in a yellow vest for the winter commute.

Hey be careful what you say as there are some aged groups on here aswell.
they might say it someone else's fault, should of guessed in might happen, probably driving too fast, too close? Etc.🫣

I agree with Angela and Bonio.

Hi vis can be beneficial but it's still not fool proof, especially at this time of the year with the low level sun. Get a red /orange vest for this time of year and bright yellow for winter.

Second ilsa post and suggestion, carry on with what you're doing and gain more experience.

• Like 2

On 22/10/2023 at 20:15, onesea said:

All good fun.

I remember that sequence. It was of usual routes home. You just had to get the sequence right and you got all the greens. 

• Like 1

Good afternoon everyone. Thanks for the support and insights.

On 22/10/2023 at 15:59, Grumpy Old Git said:

'Everyone out here is trying to kill me'

Fortunately, in a previous life, I've been driving coaches all over Europe so I've had to get an extra sense of who is going to do something stupid and, considering you can't really do quick dodges in a large vehicle, I've gotten used to mentally driving for everyone around me. It seems to be coming in handy on the bike.

On 23/10/2023 at 19:36, Shepherd said:

Welcome to the S.A.D club  - otherwise known as Stopped And Dropped.

I just thought it was me being clumsy. I didn't know it had a catchy name.... A name that RHYMES! 😄Now I feel compelled to wear it like a badge of honour! lol

Regarding the traffic lights, my work hours have been during more busy traffic times lately so I haven't tested trying to sit on the sensor for longer, but I will do. I've also seen there are magnets you can buy for the bottom of your bike but, as I intend to DAS, I don't really want to be spending much more on this bike. Plus I need to calm down. I keep buying things without thinking. I bought a brake lever lock and then heard they're rubbish and you maybe shouldn't store the bike with the hydraulic system under constant pressure, but I don't know what I'm doing so I don't know! (I also have a disc lock, a cover and a chain the probably weighs more than the bike). I then bought a beeline moto because all the reviews look cool. I HATED IT!! lol. I bought mirror extenders because I'm a wide man but the bolts it came with are too long so I can't use them. Everything seems to come with an extra level of "try again" and, honestly, it's tiring.  The only saving grace is, when I am actually riding it, it all feels pretty awesome and worthwhile.

I was gonna ride it in to work today but after messing around with the mirror things I just said, "Screw you, Yamaha!" and put it away again. That'll teach it to not mess me around!! 😋

Next is my Theory test on Tuesday. 🤞

• Like 1

Top hazard test tip: press the mouse calmly once when you first see the hazard and once again one second later.

Don't do what I did when I saw the bicyclist coming in too fast from the left hand side and go "no! no! no! no! no!" with the mouse button. Didn't get a mark for that one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, bonio said:

Top hazard test tip: press the mouse calmly once when you first see the hazard and once again one second later.

Top tip indeed!! Thanks.

I spent the last week thinking, "Pah, I've taken hazard tests before, for car and bus.... It's easy so I won't practice!" But then, bored at work a couple of days ago, I paid £15 for a month of tests and it's COMPLETELY different. 

The ones I did you just merrily clicked along as you go. "There's a dog, click. There's a bus pulling out, click. There's a cyclist, click. That cloud looks rainy, click. That tree might explode, click. Godzilla might come out of that drain cover, click!" So I did that this time and every practice said, "You've clicked too many times. Zero points." So I read the instructions. 🤓

The new process of leading up to one, maybe two, hazards with the sliding 5-1 points is much less random and much better and actually much easier. I'm glad I practiced though, because I didn't know and that would've been a disaster! lol

I do click two or three times though, because a few times I saw a hazard developing and clicked once and got zero points and when I reviewed the result it said I clicked about a 10th of a second earlier than when the points started, even though it was the correct hazard.

I reckon it'll go okay. 

Edited by Al Gear
  • Like 1