What did you do WITH your bike today.

Trooper74

Yes the Harley indicator thing is amusing to say the least.

I am on my third Harley in the last 6 years and I still don`t get it lol.

I believe older BMW`s used to have the same affliction lol, hmm similar old school agricultural twins (scurries for shelter swiftly!)

Cheers

Ian

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ian Frog said:

Yes the Harley indicator thing is amusing to say the least.

I am on my third Harley in the last 6 years and I still don`t get it lol.

I believe older BMW`s used to have the same affliction lol, hmm similar old school agricultural twins (scurries for shelter swiftly!)

Cheers

Ian

I'm comfortable with it, the only thing that caught me out a couple of times was when reaching for the right hand indicator with my thumb, I inadvertently would on a little throttle, which nearly threw me off the back of the bike. The torque is like being hit by a truck from behind. 

1 hour ago, Interference Fit said:

It's absolutely bone stock and I don't feel the need (for me) to change anything.

I'm surprised at how loud the stock exhaust is. I was expecting it to be really quiet, but I'd not want it any louder. My wife heard me coming from the far end of the road.

At the first roundabout I was subconsciously braced to see what was required to get it to tip in and lean over, but it just went over with countersteering and was really responsive to small countersteer adjustments to find the right line. It must be my lack of experience on other bikes, but at no point did I feel I "really had to muscle it in" - just push the bar and it leans.

I also found neutral no problem, so no idea what all that fuss is about. Brakes are great too.

Separate indicator buttons was interesting. 

Helped by wide bars for extra leverage but also you're pushing the bars in the direction they want/need to go to turn (longitudinal) rather than the bearing down and turning from the top of the bars (acute/ horizontal).

yep the indicators are a unique thing also odd arrangement of bolt sizes for components like wheel axles etc but thats who ever you ask to change the tyres problem.

yes welcome to torque and capacity. Youll have to retrain your brain for this bike. Lower revs, Higher gears and less twisty wristy.

Edited by RideWithStyles
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, RideWithStyles said:

yes welcome to torque and capacity. You'll have to retrain your brain for this bike. 

Absolutely.

I am experieced in the ways of torque and capacity (cars at least). 👍

vette2.jpg

image.thumb.png.ab458880b9cd79452799e741935fb3db.png

Edited by Interference Fit
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Interference Fit said:

Absolutely.

I am experieced in the ways of torque and capacity (cars at least). 👍

vette2.jpg

image.thumb.png.ab458880b9cd79452799e741935fb3db.png

Greta the Goblin must really love you !

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Interference Fit said:

Forgive me, I'm not familiar with Greta's work. 

That odd wee Swedish lassie that's always on about Save the Moon or something.  You must admit she does look like a bloody goblin !

• Like 1

Ride to the dentist’s … one extraction and a filling, plus a clean.
The plan was …. Go out for a ride for the rest of the day but the pressure of my ARAI on my cheeks was so uncomfortable, and with the dribbling blood from the extraction,  I retired home, washed the mud off from the last ride, oiled chain … hid in conservatory with  pussy …. Cat … and drank cold beer, medicinal purposes only ….

IMG_2794.thumb.jpeg.9a9220a5843648cf89e57086136263fd.jpeg

Edited by Trooper74
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Not today, but I had to have it recovered last night. When I finished work I went to the bike and turned the key and everything lit up, but pull the big red button and nothing. Pump was priming, but just a click from the solenoid.

First breakdown guy checked a few things then kept trying to bump start me, then the recovery driver arrived to being me home. 

4 hours late getting home, and up early today just to catch a bloody train instead of the bike.

• Sad 6

On 07/02/2024 at 21:39, Fish said:

Not today, but I had to have it recovered last night. When I finished work I went to the bike and turned the key and everything lit up, but pull the big red button and nothing. Pump was priming, but just a click from the solenoid.

First breakdown guy checked a few things then kept trying to bump start me, then the recovery driver arrived to being me home. 

4 hours late getting home, and up early today just to catch a bloody train instead of the bike.

Found the cause yet ?

Spent the morning on it today, bloody thing started first time so none the wiser. Checked the battery and 12.4 engine off, 14.2 running so not the issue. Then decided to check the kickstand switch, which was a little cruddy but the switch was still freely moving, but gave it a clean anyway.

So in other words, clueless just have to hope it doesn't do it again next week.

• Like 1

The starter relay does have moving parts and can stick, might be worth swapping out if it happens again. 

By not starting when you tried bumping it it could be the stand switch.

Did you try plugging it in and see if it threw any codes up?

Forgot to say, don't use a pressure washer near the switch gear on the bars..

Edited by Nick the wanderer

It’s easy to bypass the side stand switch in my experience … removes one possibility …

8 minutes ago, Trooper74 said:

It’s easy to bypass the side stand switch in my experience … removes one possibility …

That mod was already done on the F650GS when I got it … I had to tidy up the connection & wiring as it was just twisted & swinging in the wind.

15 minutes ago, Interference Fit said:

Took advantage of the drying roads to build more experience on my second ride. 

IMG_0415.jpg

Looking good! 

It'll take a good few rides to feel settled. 

I'm literally sobbing, it rains every time I plan a ride. 

43 minutes ago, Simon Davey said:

Looking good! 

It'll take a good few rides to feel settled. 

I'm literally sobbing, it rains every time I plan a ride. 

Yep, it's tough when you just want to ride but the roads are terrible. I know it's a choice what weather we ride in, but I see no fun in getting cold and wet and the bike filthy. 

Roll on Spring and Summer. 

Edited by Interference Fit
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Interference Fit said:

Yep, it's tough when you just want to ride but the roads are terrible. I know it's a choice what weather we ride in, but I see no fun in getting cold and wet and the bike filthy. 

Roll on Spring and Summer. 

Last spring and summer was bloody wet. The only difference you didn't get cold while getting the bike filthy and it was generally salt free.

• Like 3

I ride all year round … rain, cold ..but not ice. I’m comfortable and protected by cheap cordura jackets and trousers from eBay … lots of layers and decathlon fibre pile jackets … and most importantly…Oxford Heated Handlebar grips … toasty … Cafe stops are usually just for a hot chocolate … 

But not in ice or snow . Been there, done that … fell off …

• Like 3

Rode it via Portbury, Bristol, Bath, Shaftesbury and Zig Zag Hill then on to Salisbury and then Stockbridge where I'm having lunch. Then off to Kingston on Thames where I'll be putting it to bed. Going to need a thorough wash though as it's filthy.

1 hour ago, S-Westerly said:

Rode it via Portbury, Bristol, Bath, Shaftesbury and Zig Zag Hill then on to Salisbury and then Stockbridge where I'm having lunch. Then off to Kingston on Thames where I'll be putting it to bed. Going to need a thorough wash though as it's filthy.

Good run out …. …👍

• Thanks 1