What did you do WITH your bike today.

Trooper74

Wash day … chains oiled, salt washed off … 

V-Strom 650DL, Connor’s Aprillia Tuono 125.

IMG_0346.thumb.jpeg.7a3675c89175e99dcac5c79b4f149730.jpeg

Edited by Trooper74
  • Like 4

49 minutes ago, Trooper74 said:

How long before your back on land  again …. ?

Middle of May to  end of June depending on where the ship is at the time. At least it should be warmer if not drier.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Trooper74 said:

Do you ever hire bikes when you’re ashore ?

Excuse me if I have hysterical laughter. I will probably not set foot on shore until I sign off in 3-4 months time. Most places we go are either offshore terminals or don't allow shore leave. Even when we do have a chance we'll be miles from civilization and rarely there for more than 24 hours.

Pay isn't bad though. 

• Haha 1

Yesterday.

Went to see my folks, only 20 mins each direction and being fed up with the weather, I decided it would have to be the bike on wet country roads. 

Flippin eck, despite the wet, I was telling myself that a 236kg bike with 100kg Simon on top had enough weight to produce some good traction. 

Still with a nervous wobble here and there, I was putting it nicely onto those pothole strewn corners and starting to get pretty confident.. 

Until I round a bend and on that bend is a proper flood! 

Strewth, I actually kept my head, took into account that I was travelling at a sensible speed, brakes on whilst remembering I was still leaning and went straight through the water. Huge splash over the fairing and me, and luckily nothing into the air ducts. 

Carried on rather pleased that I'd handled the situation and so, still upright. 

Turns out my waterproof trousers and jacket kept me dry and warm. 

Didn't have much time, but on the way home I realised I was was sitting up as straight as possible and that was half my trouble with my handling, I started to relax and bend my elbows, which I could immediately feel gave me better cornering control. 

Need to get a panel clip from Halfords later, then I might go for another ride tonight. 

Edited by Simon Davey
Smelling corrections.
  • Like 3

They say you don't lose too much traction in the wet.

It's not so much the water as oil, mud, leaves, gravel and roadkill that bother me.

Edited by Fiddlesticks
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Fiddlesticks said:

It's not so much the water as oil, mud, leaves, gravel and roadkill that bother me.

So much gravel. 

I hope to get out tonight, and I'm going to stick to main roads. 

There's a nice road from Haverhill to Bury St. Edmunds that has some lovely open sections with big sweeping bends, and it'll be dry.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Fiddlesticks said:

Gravel is my particular bug bear. Particularly when you are going nicely round a bend with a decently surfaced road and all.of a sudden there's a load of gravel washed out from a track or field entrance. Always good for a squeaky bum.

• Like 3

Halfords were closed, I must have just missed them at 18:10

I couldn't get the panel clip I needed to replace my indicator, so I'm sulking because I can't go for a ride tonight...

Unbelievable weather yesterday. 17deg-C in London/Kent. Had a lovely ride with the lad in tow on his CB125R

Edited by Joe85
  • Like 6

Went to get some drugs today (for a horse), just half hour each way.

Disappointing ride, 90% of the ride was 30-40Mph, only stretch of nationals was smothered in mud and gravel from a nearby building site.

Still, Reiten Motorrad are en-route, so I stopped on the way back, to look at the bimmers, a few guys outside as I pulled up, well, when I say pulled up, I swerved in between the barriers and stalled it, then couldn't find neutral. 

Even when I left, I tried to leave nicely, you know, just as if I was on a R1250GS or the like, but of course, I fluffed the gears........

Loving my new cornering without wobbling ability.

Edited by Simon Davey
  • Like 2

sorry was in half thought of you going faster that some bms on a sick horse there for a mo, then i was thinking ur a frankie detori then i releiysed ur on the bike, then i was disapointed...🤡.    

• Haha 1

Today I did almost 300 miles in mostly rain! 

Squires, Hawes, Butertubs pass then home! 

A jetski would have been more appropriate :lol: 

I was dripping when I walked in! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, S-Westerly said:
  • Buttertubs in the rain must have been a bit horrible. Did you do the ford or miss that out?

After today's rain everything was a ford 😂 

No we skipped it! 

To be honest buttertubs we OK compared to some of the other roads we did! 

At one point we was in the clouds and couldn't see more than 20 metres in front of us 😂 made interesting riding on narrow twisty gravel filled roads with cars coming the other way! 

• Haha 2

Went out to scrub in the new knobbly rear tyre on Zippy & try it out on a couple of green lanes…as you might imagine, after the recent torrential rain it was a tad slippery and muddy as Fcuk, think the new tyre did the job well though … all the gear went straight into the washing machine.

• Like 2

Getting ready for this season.
Wheels powder coated, wheel bearings, new chain and sprockets, ti chain tensioners, new battery,oem air filter, brakes bled, new tyres and a quad lock for the iphone. Standard IMG_3793.thumb.jpeg.8c783b40a1ea72dae08c1dcb0ef63113.jpeg