Turning off the bike with the side stand?

Fiddlesticks

As I usually leave the bike in gear, I tend to cut the engine by kicking the side stand down. Simple question - can anyone see a problem with this approach?

• Like 1

Always done that, never been an issue, and you know your side stand kill switch is still working.

Edited by Vic101

it can be a positive as it keeps the switch moving.  I cycle through all the 3 methods as Ive seen people having issues with Africa Twins where the emergency stop button in particular becomes faulty and the bike refuses to start. in most cases the owner stated that they had never used this button before. it was an easy fix with contact cleaner. but a pain in the neck nonetheless.

so, using these various methods in cycle might be seen as a preventative measure. its certainly not going to cause any harm. The only thing I do and this is particular to my bike and its odd gear system is I always put the bike in neutral before turning it off. whichever method is used.

• Like 1

Never deliberately. Generally I stop the bike with the kill switch. Never by turning the key and occasionally when I put the side stand down when still in gear. If I put the stand down and the engine is running in neutral it won't stop the engine.

1 hour ago, Capt Sisko said:

I guess this depends on how robust you feel your side stand cut out switch is. If the internet isn't full of known problems, then it'd probably be okay. If in doubt I'd tend to use the switch designed for the job.

I've never heard of any problems and have been doing it that way since 1976.

1 hour ago, Capt Sisko said:

I guess this depends on how robust you feel your side stand cut out switch is. If the internet isn't full of known problems, then it'd probably be okay. If in doubt I'd tend to use the switch designed for the job.

They're all designed to do the job.

23 hours ago, Fiddlesticks said:

As I usually leave the bike in gear, I tend to cut the engine by kicking the side stand down. Simple question - can anyone see a problem with this approach?

No. You're fine.

Do so if you must . Personally I like to announce my arrival by a good blip of the throttle while simultaneously flicking the kill switch . Then again , I don't think there is a side stand switch on my Harley . 

In theory the engine should be stop using the ignition key.

This because the stand switch isn't manufactured to withstand frequent abrupt cut of current at the ignition system.

That switch, similar to the neutral  and clutch switch are meant to be used as warning/prevention to start the bike if the bike is in gear or the stand is extended.

When opening a live circuit there is a release of a small spark while the 2 contacts are close enough (microns) to allow the current to cross the air.

This little spark will damage the contacts in time, it could be a very long time however, it will happen.

On the other hand, the ignition switch (when properly manufactured) is designed to reduce the spark occurrence and is designed to endure a larger number of operations.

This is all theoretical and it would take thousands of operations to make a difference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My bike is started with a button / rocker switch and stopped with the same one. Turning the key only allows electric power to everything.  You can stop the engine  using the key but it is not recommended. Bit like turning off a pc by pulling the plug.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, husoi said:

In theory the engine should be stop using the ignition key.

This because the stand switch isn't manufactured to withstand frequent abrupt cut of current at the ignition system.

That switch, similar to the neutral  and clutch switch are meant to be used as warning/prevention to start the bike if the bike is in gear or the stand is extended.

When opening a live circuit there is a release of a small spark while the 2 contacts are close enough (microns) to allow the current to cross the air.

This little spark will damage the contacts in time, it could be a very long time however, it will happen.

On the other hand, the ignition switch (when properly manufactured) is designed to reduce the spark occurrence and is designed to endure a larger number of operations.

This is all theoretical and it would take thousands of operations to make a difference.

Interesting stuff, thanks. You often hear about "best practice" but not always the reason behind it.

well for my bike the ignition switch is the safest, with a direct route and a big fuse. going any other route (kill switch and side stand) has to go through at least one relay, and extra fuse and the ignition anyway. the manual still says use the ignition and the other two routes are for safety / emergency reasons.

so what does this say? not one sole way is correct for everyone, stop it the way it was designed and the manual asks not just the way your use to or fancy.

The sidestand switch is operated every time you use the side stand and it has a permanent live feed

The clutch switch is also operated every time you use the clutch and has a permanent live feed

The gear position sensor is also operated with every gear change and also has a permanent live feed and on a lot of bikes it also has a built in resistor to alter the voltage so the ecu know what gear its in  

These lot work together for safety cut out so you don't set off with the side stand down 

They may wear out eventually but this would be through normal use and not by using it to stop the engine 

The emergency stop on the bars was made just for that purpose and should be used just for that! I have known failures due to overuse but saying that a lot of manufacturers are now using it as a start stop switch and are building them more robust 

I do stop mine with the side stand at times but not all the time it just depends how I feel at the time! 

Knock yourself out using it as it won't cause any damage to any of the associated components 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

If you go for a ride out with the right kind of people you'll soon find if your kill switch or side stand switch are working when you pull up at a red light :lol:

• Haha 7

My bike is a Honda 👌😎. All systems are robust and will be built to last. 

Having said that every electrical switch ever manufactured will have a finite number of operations, probably a bit less when used live but do you isolate your house power before turning a light switch on? 😁

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Fleck said:

My bike is a Honda 👌😎. All systems are robust and will be built to last. 

Having said that every electrical switch ever manufactured will have a finite number of operations, probably a bit less when used live but do you isolate your house power before turning a light switch on? 😁

I don't even isolate my house power before changing out light fittings. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1