What you doing this weekend?

rennie

6 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

Fitting a toilet and washbasin.

Chasing up trades who seem not to want to work on our house and don’t have the manners to return calls / apologise for not turning up to quote for work. 

I never get the not even turning up to give a price.

What's really anoying is giving a high price for something you really don't want and then they say when can you start, anoying because the high price was not enough.

11 minutes ago, Bender said:

What's really anoying is giving a high price for something you really don't want and then they say when can you start, anoying because the high price was not enough.

I had a couple of those when I was gardening... I was only doing it for pin money to keep me occupied while waiting for my good lady to retire, so I only wanted easy or interesting jobs. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

I had a couple of those when I was gardening... I was only doing it for pin money to keep me occupied while waiting for my good lady to retire, so I only wanted easy or interesting jobs. 

What trades you after, you both look pretty handy between you.

1 minute ago, Bender said:

What trades you after, you both look pretty handy between you.

Roofer, builder, painter. 

We thought we had a roofer but he’s gone  quiet. I’ll be calling him tomorrow to get a date. It’s a small ish bit of roof that’s leaking - may need a strip and re-slate since previous patching does seem to have worked.

We had a painter visit and we awaiting an estimate, others... no show. Yet.

The biggest piece of work is a builder to remodel our bedroom / en suite (just the structural work - We can do the plumbing / tiling etc.). We were recommended a guy and he did a bit of work for us. We’ve phoned him several times and he’s said he’ll visit, but no show.  

We’ve had one painter look at the work and said he’d give an estimate, but we haven’t heard from him. Another painter has just not shown, even to give a price. 

• Like 1

Every fooker has too much work at the mo.

I need a flat roof doing, I'm planning on doing it myself at end of summer, it's currently concrete reinforced slabs and felt with little insulation, need to make a frame, Kingspan, re board and cover it in fibreglass, what could go wrong, ohhh yea water leaking into house. 😁 

• Like 1

I think a run out to Sally's Place Cafe on the Malvern hills might be in order . They do an excellent BLT but they don't have a Chili Sauce with any heat to it so I've promised to donate a bottle of Sriracha . 

Polish_20210321_124439201.png

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Bender said:

Every fooker has too much work at the mo.

I need a flat roof doing, I'm planning on doing it myself at end of summer, it's currently concrete reinforced slabs and felt with little insulation, need to make a frame, Kingspan, re board and cover it in fibreglass, what could go wrong, ohhh yea water leaking into house. 😁 

Best of luck with the flat roof. We had ours done - definitely a job for someone else.

• Like 2

I got someone to redo our dormer bedroom roof rather than doing it myself. Mainly as I try and avoid working at heights whenever possible :oops:

He did a decent job, even flew up a drone to show me what needed doing and again after he finished the job

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Tiggie said:

I got someone to redo our dormer bedroom roof rather than doing it myself. Mainly as I try and avoid working at heights whenever possible :oops:

He did a decent job, even flew up a drone to show me what needed doing and again after he finished the job

The guys took photos to show me... There’s no way I could have done the work they did, especially in the time they did it. 

64257574-B7CC-4C77-9B77-2D1BAA0B918C.jpeg

2774850E-9325-422A-8FFB-89AE2BC1C6B5.jpeg

• Like 4

22 hours ago, NeilM said:

Working. 

Nights.....

Not certain what’s worse double nights or 3 weeks of 6or7 am starts.  I don’t commute far but it’s still enough to remind me why I hate regular 5day a week jobs...

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Fish said:

Shopping for either a new helmet (failed last weekend) or a new shotgun. Either way, beer is in my hand and sat in my comfy chair for the night. Sunday will either be Boxhill or shotting, decide when I wake up.

Still no new lid, and the gun shop is by appointment only. :(

7 hours ago, Steve_M said:

The guys took photos to show me... There’s no way I could have done the work they did, especially in the time they did it. 

64257574-B7CC-4C77-9B77-2D1BAA0B918C.jpeg

2774850E-9325-422A-8FFB-89AE2BC1C6B5.jpeg

Fibreglass, yes you could have done it 😁

Yes probably not as quick.

Pretty much what I'm after doing with added insulation.

1 minute ago, Bender said:

Fibreglass, yes you could have done it 😁

Yes probably not as quick.

Pretty much what I'm after doing with added insulation.

Given how much work we have to do (ourselves) on this place, we’ve taken the view that there are some jobs that are best done by others, possibly more competent. In some cases, not because we’re not capable but due to the time and timing aspects. 

The ceiling was also removed, so we slapped some insulation into the gap. Not up to current standards but a damn sight more than what was there before. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

Given how much work we have to do (ourselves) on this place, we’ve taken the view that there are some jobs that are best done by others, possibly more competent. In some cases, not because we’re not capable but due to the time and timing aspects. 

The ceiling was also removed, so we slapped some insulation into the gap. Not up to current standards but a damn sight more than what was there before. 

We don't have a gap, it's just concrete and plasterboard. When sun hits the roof it's like a giant radiator 😁 

I see your logic it's best to pick the bits that you can and want to do, my problem stems from too many fuckwits that do a shit job and I spend as much time putting right afterwards.

The wife got a roofing company that was doing next door to give us a price, came, measured, can't get a price off them for love nor money literally.

5 hours ago, onesea said:

Not certain what’s worse double nights or 3 weeks of 6or7 am starts.  I don’t commute far but it’s still enough to remind me why I hate regular 5day a week jobs...

Its 12 hr shifts for me. 5 week cycle. Both nights and days.

I've only worked straight days 8 hrs for maybe 10 years out of 31 and that's including my apprenticeship. 

I only commute about 10 mile so that's not too bad. Although the traffic at times can be shocking.

Going to have a late morning trundle round some of the villages near Oundle with no particular plans and just enjoy the views.

Oh might head home via the village pub and watch the world go by for an hour or so!

Cheers

Ian