What did you do to your bike today?

Stu

2 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

Kirkby to Sedbergh to Brough to Middleton in Teesdale. 

Great road that. And on up to Alston.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

This morning the long awaited package from the USA arrived and my bike once again has 2 panniers. Had to pay over £80 in "fees" to get it though. 

That's a bit steep. Was that import tax? 

I've had bike bits from the States that were clearly labelled as motorcycle parts and they just went straight through.

Pleased to discover that my M1000R insurance is 25% cheaper than the 1300GS. The refund from the insurer more than covers the new policy.

Take delivery on Friday. Wohoo.

Edited by Joe85
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

That's a bit steep. Was that import tax? 

I've had bike bits from the States that were clearly labelled as motorcycle parts and they just went straight through.

It was labelled as bike parts but it was also values as $350 which unfortunately put it in the dutiable (20% VAT plus 2% on the value) bracket. Government never misses a chance to screw you over.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

This afternoon I had the fuelling map on the Harley updated to take into account the stage 1 upgrades to the exhaust and air filter. 

I have to say she feels smoother and the pick up is better without the popping and banging when on the overrun. 

Apparently it will be more fuel efficient getting that unevenness and popping under control so maybe if I keep it long enough I will save the money I just spent lol.

Cheers 

Ian

43 minutes ago, Joe85 said:

Took delivery and gave it a quick spin. This thing is mental.

image0.jpeg

That's so horny! 

Had a look at these last night whilst I drooled over the BMW website. 

Congratulations Joe

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ian Frog said:

This afternoon I had the fuelling map on the Harley updated to take into account the stage 1 upgrades to the exhaust and air filter. 

I have to say she feels smoother and the pick up is better without the popping and banging when on the overrun. 

Apparently it will be more fuel efficient getting that unevenness and popping under control so maybe if I keep it long enough I will save the money I just spent lol.

Cheers 

Ian

Will be as they tightened up the fueling.

This evening I thought I'd change the thermostat in my ZZR1200.

Manual says, remove right hand inner fairing panel, then remove the four screws that hold the thermostat. That's about an hour to change the thermostat then.......

So I remove the right hand inner fairing panel, which revealed the radiator cap sat upon the thermostat housing, really easy to get to, apart from the fourth screw, which is obstructed by the right hand air duct, which needs the whole top fairing removed. Oh, and I need to drain the coolant 200ml, but I'll drain the lot as I bought a 5litre jug of something expensive to replace it. To do this of course, I have to remove the left hand lower fairing. 

My planned ride on Sunday isn't looking likely 🙄

• Sad 1

On 22/01/2024 at 21:06, S-Westerly said:

Short legs and a slope away in both cases. By the time my feet hit the floor bike reached angle of no return and down we went. Slowly. No damage apart from to my ego which was dented severely especially on the 2nd occasion. Bike went down on other occasions too but had help in picking it up - icy slush on forecourt, gravel track, etc.

That happened to me in France in 2022. The bike was fully laden, complete with pillion who, after the event, found it amusing that she could just step off the bike due to the engine bars preventing it falling right on its side. She didn’t find having to help lift the think back up quite so much fun. 

Back to today. I’ve washed it and taxed it (yes, from the start of January after putting it on SORN from October - hand injury and house renovations meant I haven’t ridden it in the intervening period). Tomorrow I ride (a local RoSPA group ride - to see if re-joining RoSPA is something I’d enjoy). 

16 hours ago, Joe85 said:

Took delivery and gave it a quick spin. This thing is mental.

image0.jpeg

Very nice, though I can feel my joints seizing up from just looking at the photo. 

• Haha 3

Tiday I took both the little yeller and the 175 for their shakedown rides.  Went very well, if a little cold for my taste and with visor fogging up.  Apart from that, both rides went well.

Humming a tune and on a high, I went to the shed to start up the VFR.  Life never cuts me a break, and yup.. No startee.  She would fire on one cylinder and usually after a six week layup, the other three would make a leisurly appearance.  Today, nope.  One cylinder would fire on the starter and another would try and keep failing to reliably light off, so I needed to keep running the starter. She normally idles on two until the rest chimes in.  Nothing from the other two at all.

The six week layup in the extremely damp weather we have had has I think, turned the ethanol in the carbs to water and fouled the plugs.  

So it is tank and bodywork off to get at the plugs and carbs.  May as well leave it unattended till springtime now.  Just removed the battery to keep it charged.

Soddin modern fuels...  More eco nonsense to put up with.

Still, onwards and upwards.  Started up the house standby generator and ran it for 20 mins.  When I stopped it, there was fuel on the floor and it was from the end of the case where the fuel tap and pump live.... Another job.

Welcome to my life.  I have two sucessess and pay for it with two failures of previously reliable machines.

Edited by Tinkicker
  • Sad 2

On 26/01/2024 at 21:22, Simon Davey said:

This evening I thought I'd change the thermostat in my ZZR1200.

Manual says, remove right hand inner fairing panel, then remove the four screws that hold the thermostat. That's about an hour to change the thermostat then.......

So I remove the right hand inner fairing panel, which revealed the radiator cap sat upon the thermostat housing, really easy to get to, apart from the fourth screw, which is obstructed by the right hand air duct, which needs the whole top fairing removed. Oh, and I need to drain the coolant 200ml, but I'll drain the lot as I bought a 5litre jug of something expensive to replace it. To do this of course, I have to remove the left hand lower fairing. 

My planned ride on Sunday isn't looking likely 🙄

the joys of bikes with fairings , i know all about it i now buy naked's 

• Like 1

Tail tidy installed, servo removed.

I haven't decided if im going to install titanium headers yet. My S1000R was obnoxiously loud, don't think i fancy that again.

• Like 2

Tried and failed to pick my Winter doer upper from off the bonnet of my daughters car. 

Apparently it's been a little breezy whilst I was on my hols?

Gonna have to get the neighbours help on this one - Deauvilles are not the lightest bikes. Might try pushing it up using the car, can't do any more damage.🙄 

IMG-20240122-WA0001.jpg

• Sad 7

Opps🫣 hopefully the actual pride and joy isn't damaged? 

ill laugh only because a couple of years ago (it was brezzy but not stormy) we went out for afew hours and came back see the wifes 125 on the floor...but no higher or soft landing for it to make the impact/damage less. Not much damage but Oil and fuel all over the bike and drive...more annoying the next door neighbour saw it and didn't bother to pick it up....TMF. At least it didnt damage anything thing else just to make it worse.

Edited by RideWithStyles

The winter weather hasn't been kind to my CBF. The led aux lights died and also my chain oiler is now leaking. 

The chain oiler is a Gidibi which so far as I can tell is made in the same factory as the Nemo - they are identical. It has been brilliant, dead simple and very effective. But it relies on the reservoir holding vacuum and mine now clearly doesn't because the oil is constantly dripping.

Riding in all weathers means a chain oiler is handy but having had a Scottoiler I didn't find the expensive system worked any better than some of the cheaper products. 

• Like 1