What did you do to your bike today?

Stu

Just now, Marino said:

You already got decent windshield on your bike, will see how it work on my half windshield.

if it works it will be good 19£ investment 

I beg to differ. 

Its pretty shite to be honest with you! it causes so much buffeting its unreal which is surprising for the type of bike it is 

I changed it for a Vstream which was massive and while it worked better it just wasn't right 

6 minutes ago, Stu said:

I beg to differ. 

Its pretty shite to be honest with you! it causes so much buffeting its unreal which is surprising for the type of bike it is 

I changed it for a Vstream which was massive and while it worked better it just wasn't right 

Yes it’s strange how sometimes a small piece of plexiglass change thinks. I wander why manufacturers couldn’t do it in first place. Or it was aesthetic before effectiveness.

Just now, Marino said:

Yes it’s strange how sometimes a small piece of plexiglass change thinks. I wander why manufacturers couldn’t do it in first place. Or it was aesthetic before effectiveness.

Because if a bike is right from the get go then they make no money on touring screens 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stu said:

I beg to differ. 

I have tried 3 screens, on trophy before settling on the present one with deflector, allot is personal choice.

I have both @Stu deflector in a strip and a wing deflector like @Marino

One on trophy one on TDM why different designs because they suit the bikes. I had the wing one on trophy it worked well, I tried it on TDM again it worked well so I bought the other design for trophy for aesthetics reasons and cannot tell difference.

I can tell the difference in windage when I have pillion, the change in trim of the bike and I get a different buffeting. 

On the trophy if I set screen wrong and get to 60mph the pillion feels like they are being sucked off the bike.  The back of there jacket is also really caked in dirt.

A half screen with deflector seems to work best for me on both bikes and seems to be becoming a common set up.  

Lets us know how you get on @Marino

• Like 2

1 minute ago, onesea said:

I have tried 3 screens, on trophy before settling on the present one with deflector, allot is personal choice.

I have both @Stu deflector in a strip and a wing deflector like @Marino

One on trophy one on TDM why different designs because they suit the bikes. I had the wing one on trophy it worked well, I tried it on TDM again it worked well so I bought the other design for trophy for aesthetics reasons and cannot tell difference.

I can tell the difference in windage when I have pillion, the change in trim of the bike and I get a different buffeting. 

On the trophy if I set screen wrong and get to 60mph the pillion feels like they are being sucked off the bike.  The back of there jacket is also really caked in dirt.

A half screen with deflector seems to work best for me on both bikes and seems to be becoming a common set up.  

Lets us know how you get on @Marino

I have also tried all sorts and have settled on a smaller screen with a spoiler as per the photo 

I get a weird buffeting on the top of my helmet as does the pillion and I think that is due to the sheer angle of the screen when in the fully up position! 

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

I have also tried all sorts and have settled on a smaller screen with a spoiler as per the photo 

I get a weird buffeting on the top of my helmet as does the pillion and I think that is due to the sheer angle of the screen when in the fully up position! 

If it helps it’s all very weird I bought top box for trophy and now get a subtle strange wobble, with or without pillion only when I have the top box on.

Apparently Trophies are known for it.

1 minute ago, onesea said:

If it helps it’s all very weird I bought top box for trophy and now get a subtle strange wobble, with or without pillion only when I have the top box on.

This is pretty normal for a lot of bikes mine is the same but only without a pillion 

21 minutes ago, onesea said:

I got big top box 52 or more and bike does behave different, as Stu wrote les with pillion but only on speeds over 70 or 80 miles. But strange when fully loaded with some extra weight on top of it, become calmer.

I had a '99 Trophy 1200 many years ago, with Triumph panniers and top box.

Maximum speed with or without pillion ?   =   130mph (speedo reading).  Never a hint of a wobble.  Great bike.

1 hour ago, Marino said:

bike does behave different, 

I did hesitate when I wrote wobble, it’s not as such a wobble that worries me I just know it’s there and making a difference. 

14 minutes ago, gogs01 said:

I had a '99 Trophy 1200 many years ago, with Triumph panniers and top box.

Maximum speed with or without pillion ?   =   130mph (speedo reading).  Never a hint of a wobble.  Great bike.

IMO It’s an odd thing I am on a FB trophy group some report it some don’t, know one seems to worry about it. It’s subtle nothing so bad I will take my top box off.

Having had the same experience as you for the 4years without a topbox, I was surprised to notice the difference it made.  If I go above a certain speed range it goes away, I don’t notice it so much on A roads, mainly on straight motorways or dual carriageways.

A nice run out this evening . The first time I've been out after work on a weekday this year . I got home in time to change my engine oil and my primary oil . That's all the maintenance I'm likely to do on the Harley this year . Over the weekend I'm planning on dragging the ER5 project out and firing it up for the first time since I rebuilt it with better barrels and pistons . 

• Like 1

Good run out for me tonight too 

And pretty eventful 

First off my mate had new tyres on his GS which I fitted and he was saying the front feels planted. 

Then another guy with us almost ran out of fuel 

While at the fuel stop I noticed GS rider looked low on air in the front! 

7 psi he had in 🤣 

He let the air out while fitting and forgot to fill it back up to the correct pressure :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

Good run out for me tonight too 

And pretty eventful 

First off my mate had new tyres on his GS which I fitted and he was saying the front feels planted. 

Then another guy with us almost ran out of fuel 

While at the fuel stop I noticed GS rider looked low on air in the front! 

7 psi he had in 🤣 

He let the air out while fitting and forgot to fill it back up to the correct pressure :lol:

Again....lol

• Haha 1

Swore at it numerous times.

6 am coming home from work.

Sodding thing wouldn't start!!!

Flat battery????

Jumped it with a Ford fiesta, rode home and the thing has spent all day on charge in garage.

It it fails to start it will get the bollocking of its life!!

• Sad 1

Rode bike from Portavadie in Scotland to Boroughbridge in North Yorkshire. … interesting route around the A83. Rest and be Thankful, along Loch Lomond. Through Glasgow. M8 to Edinburgh. Then mainly A68 through to Northumberland. Stretch along the A1. 310 miles. Enjoyed it. Loads of bikes out. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, NeilM said:

Swore at it numerous times.

6 am coming home from work.

Sodding thing wouldn't start!!!

Flat battery????

Jumped it with a Ford fiesta, rode home and the thing has spent all day on charge in garage.

It it fails to start it will get the bollocking of its life!!

Well the nobheaded thing started.

Hope it starts in the morning for the Huddersfield to leeds TT.......

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, NeilM said:

Well the nobheaded thing started.

Hope it starts in the morning for the Huddersfield to leeds TT.......

Sounds like a new battery may be in order!