Good Morning Good Night and General Chat.

S-Westerly

32 minutes ago, MikeHorton said:

Might seem like an odd question but who carries a first aid kit in their bike and what does it contain. I usually carry one on mine treat ir as a bit of essential kit 

No point in me carrying one. The best I could do is apply a plaster. I did my St John’s certificate around 50 years ago and did a “first o the scene” about 20 years ago.  Don’t have the confidence I could recall any of it in an emergency.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, MikeHorton said:

Might seem like an odd question but who carries a first aid kit in their bike and what does it contain. I usually carry one on mine treat ir as a bit of essential kit 

The limited space under my seat is dedicated to a tool kit, electrical tape, cable ties, puncture repair kit and C02 cartridges. We did take a first aid kit when we went away, but generally don't.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeHorton said:

I carry a length of stout cord and if I come across someone with anything worse than chipped nail varnish I put them swiftly out of their misery.....  cruel to let them suffer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

12 hours ago, MikeHorton said:

20230121_101516.thumb.jpg.f5bdd63d44064fd19a432e058f261d76.jpgjust double checked mine ready for this year quite a small kit but some important stuff, resus mask shell dressing and tourniquet along with basics like pain relief tablets, plasters, antiseptic cream bandages, dressings, gloves, scissors, cleaning wipes and thermal blanket. Worth considering putting a kit together sometimes cheaper buying separate stuff to a generic kit which contains a lot of stuff you don't need.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Fiddlesticks said:

C02 cartridges. 

Replace them with a small compressor if you have the space as the C02 cartridges aren't that great! 

it takes around 4 to get around 25-30 psi in the rear but once they are gone they are gone and no help wit a slow puncture at least with a compressor you can get the correct pressure and keep topping up if need be :thumb: 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, MikeHorton said:

I have a small first aid kit with the essentials and plenty of paracetamol and co-codamol, this sits along side my puncture repair kit. Its fine carrying it, but a Biker down course might be just as important and essential. :-D

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pie man said:

I have a small first aid kit with the essentials and plenty of paracetamol and co-codamol, this sits along side my puncture repair kit. Its fine carrying it, but a Biker down course might be just as important and essential. :-D

Yes biker down is good and delivered by experts. It's always good to prepare for the worst but we all think it will never happen. Emergency service response times get longer now especially in the sticks so chances are come across something and your on your own. Most road users will stop to look but not get involved 

15 minutes ago, Pie man said:

Tomorrow I will be looking at Motorcycles, need to start mooching around for a replacement. 

What will you be looking at?

What are your criteria (or is it a case of “ooh, look, shiny” 😂)?

• Haha 3

38 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

What will you be looking at?

What are your criteria (or is it a case of “ooh, look, shiny” 😂)?

Not sure just yet, more to see what you get for your money. I am thinking more sports tourer, but deep in the back of my mind I will end up with another BMW; however I'm not getting any younger and probably need something I can manoeuvre around easily. So far I've looked at them all 🤣even Ducati 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Pie man said:

Not sure just yet, more to see what you get for your money. I am thinking more sports tourer, but deep in the back of my mind I will end up with another BMW; however I'm not getting any younger and probably need something I can manoeuvre around easily. So far I've looked at them all 🤣even Ducati 

Nothing wrong with Ducati but be warned if you are looking at a Multistrada they aren't particularly light. Well over 200 kg fueled up and that's without panniers. Quite big bikes to manhandle around. Great bikes to ride though and mines been trouble free since I bought it new in 2018.

• Like 4

On 20/01/2023 at 19:36, Pie man said:

Warrington's never been right since it left Lancashire 🤣

I remember as a kid loads of them put on the accent. While others put on a strong Manchester accent. 

I found it a bit weird and ended up with some weird, plain, slightly Cheshire-ish sounding accent. Everyone thought I was posh :lol:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

Nothing wrong with Ducati but be warned if you are looking at a Multistrada they aren't particularly light. Well over 200 kg fueled up and that's without panniers. Quite big bikes to manhandle around. Great bikes to ride though and mines been trouble free since I bought it new in 2018.

To be fair, the Ducati has probably the better engine of the bunch. and longer service intervals. like the KTM. I need to have a word with myself, I like the 950S Supersport and the 890 Duke R. Someone mentioned the Suzuki 1000GT and I dismissed its service intervals, but I'm being drawn to that and the Tracer 9GT. 

I think my days of camping are over, no need for adventure style to carry all the gear, unless something is going to jump out at me and the price is right. 

I can travel light and can pack all I need into 30L plus tank bag or rucksack. 

1 hour ago, Pie man said:

To be fair, the Ducati has probably the better engine of the bunch. and longer service intervals. like the KTM. I need to have a word with myself, I like the 950S Supersport and the 890 Duke R. Someone mentioned the Suzuki 1000GT and I dismissed its service intervals, but I'm being drawn to that and the Tracer 9GT. 

I think my days of camping are over, no need for adventure style to carry all the gear, unless something is going to jump out at me and the price is right. 

I can travel light and can pack all I need into 30L plus tank bag or rucksack. 

For 1 up touring the tracer 900gt I'd perfect was not so for 2 up, great engine and quite economical. If I had bottomless pockets maybe a multistrada pikes peak but I'm sure I'd lose my licence. 😁

• Like 3