Good Morning Good Night and General Chat.

S-Westerly

When I did judo as a youngster I was told the British version was created to give an incentive to learn, hence the belt system, and it was indeed a lot of throwing your opponent over your shoulder and then restraining them on the floor until you received the "I yield" tap. It was basically using their weight /inertia against them. I had to carry a licence with me for a few years, as your body was classes as a lethal weapon, and if challenged to a fight on the street you were supposed to warn them, twice, that you practiced and what belt/dan you were (really?) 

No one at my school knew I trained until a picture appeared in the local paper of me attending a national championship, and after that it was a nightmare with the school bullies trying to get me to react,but most of the time I ignored them, though I did injure one persistent twat quite badly

• Like 1

2 hours ago, billy sugger said:

When I did judo as a youngster I was told the British version was created to give an incentive to learn, hence the belt system, and it was indeed a lot of throwing your opponent over your shoulder and then restraining them on the floor until you received the "I yield" tap. It was basically using their weight /inertia against them. I had to carry a licence with me for a few years, as your body was classes as a lethal weapon, and if challenged to a fight on the street you were supposed to warn them, twice, that you practiced and what belt/dan you were (really?) 

No one at my school knew I trained until a picture appeared in the local paper of me attending a national championship, and after that it was a nightmare with the school bullies trying to get me to react,but most of the time I ignored them, though I did injure one persistent twat quite badly

I’ve never had to carry my BJA licence for any reason other than to take part in competitions or visiting clubs to train - so they’re insured. The whole thing of your body being a lethal weapon was an urban myth spread by a few charlatans who were trying to make a few Bob out of it.

My kit went everywhere with me - especially on holiday so I could have a bit of a knock at the local club. One seaside club I attended as a 15 yr old the guy who ran it suggested I join the junior beginners class as I had a white belt with five red tabs on (then the highest junior grade, but he didn’t know ‘cos he had his own system for which he charged £lots for). After which he realised his mistake he asked if I could join his advanced class… then I joined the seniors. None of his judoka caused me any difficulties in any class. Afterwards my dad and I went down the pub with some of the seniors (I was on lemonade, honest) and my dad gave them details of the BJA and suggested they gave the current guy the elbow. 

There were a few of us at my school who did judo and, yes, once word got out so too did the bullies. I always backed away but I did see a club mate illustrate why bullying is a bad thing. 

• Like 1

A little while ago I tuned in to Radio4 Extra and stumbled over a programme in the series “A fair cop”. It’s a light hearted programme about policing hosted by an ex-police sergeant and contains some black humour. 

I had it on playback on the BBC sounds app today and he related a tale of a disgruntled motorist caught speeding. “why aren’t you out catching pedophiles instead of harassing me?” To which the answer was “I guess they don’t drive as fast as you”.

Who said coppers don’t have a sense of humour? 

• Haha 4

@Steve_M I remember being told a story (pretty sure it was a forum member) about someone who was riding on the motorway when he saw a police car up ahead. Stuck behind it for ages doing exactly 70, he got fed up and decided to overtake.

He slowly started going past probably doing no more than 73, when he got level with the drivers side he looked over and saw the copper looking back at him with a grin on his face wagging his finger and then pointed for him to get his arse back behind the car :mrgreen:

• Haha 1

Good afternoon from sunny Portugal.  Now in Sines which is a million times better than Algerian hell hole I was in before. Have a quiet night at anchor before a mad day tomorrow.  Might treat myself to an Italian jaffa cake this evening. Living it up.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I had a good start to the morning. I am restoring a 1971 sailing dinghy and spent most of yesterday evening trying to remove the centreboard. This is held in a casing and swivels on a single bolt that runs through the casing and centreboard. The bolt came out but the board wasn't budging. It was still swivelling which suggested something had got stuck in there.

With the tip of my little finger I could just feel a metal sleeve which someone had put into the wooden board to strengthen it. This has slipped out of place and was jammed half in the board and half in the casing. It is impossible to see into or get at. I could feel which side it had slipped to but there was no way I could knock it back. I have learnt when encountering such problems not to go at them with bigger and bigger hammers as that rarely ends well. So I slept on it.

And woke this morning to suspect someone had probably used a bit of copper pipe as that would fit neatly over the size of the bolt I removed. So I cut a short length of pipe, slid it into the side of the casing, gave it a gentle tap and the centreboard slipped out easily.

20230826_101433.jpg

• Like 4

So I say goodbye to sunny but bloody cold (!) Portugal and now trundle off to Nigeria.  Frabjous joy. At least when we are done with that less than salubrious part of the world we are off to Canada and then New York so something to look forward to.

• Like 5