Appalling headlights

Dean01982

My XJ6 has a candle light usefulness in the dark. My neighbour is thinking about upgrading his VFR. My plan is to take the VFR for a test ride after dark and year both business back-to-back.

If that works then I'll have a spare XJ6, if that doesn't cut riding in the dark then I dunno, use flares?

Thanks for all the advise guys, it certainly is an issue at night, il give the lens and bulb a good clean and see how I get on. The LED lights I got (20 quid of amazon) definitely help and were easy to install but how long they last i don't know. I was going to try the MOD that enables both lights to be on when on dipped setting but unsure this would pass the MOT? Il try the 150% bulbs first tho before I tinker.

On a side note does any one know if the rear lights on a fazer 1999 should both be lit up when lights are on? Or just one as the front is?

Cheers

I have recently notice my headlights are pretty much shite in the dark :lol:

I will be replacing my bulbs (@rennie Is that the right term? :D ) over the winter period

Lamps glow, bulbs grow. :seeya:

Technically that's correct but as the filament is enclosed in a glass bulb I think it's acceptable to call a lamp a bulb . Language is constantly evolving .

I will be replacing my bulbs (@rennie Is that the right term? :D ) over the winter period

Technically that's correct but as the filament is enclosed in a glass bulb I think it's acceptable to call a lamp a bulb . Language is constantly evolving .

Who cares :D

Bright things that help you see in the dark :)

So carrots they are then :popcorn:

Who cares :D

Bright things that help you see in the dark :)

So carrots they are then :popcorn:

Further reading . https://www.gutenberg.org/files/30066/30066-h/30066-h.htm

This is true but as an electrical engineer I was always taught lamp, as this covers all.

It is also acceptable to say tube as in the fluorescent lamp. But these evolved into the compact fluorescents so you can also say “spiral”.

Sorry I am being pedantic now.

:thumb:

Technical terminology doesn't always follow accepted usage. A bulb may be the underground storage organ of a plant or it may be the glass part of a lamp. In accepted usage the lamp is the fitting into which a light bulb is installed.

A headlamp may therefore be said to have a headlamp bulb. Or to be more precise the sparkly shiny bit that means you can go vroom vroom during hours of darkness.

lamp lămp►

n. Any of various devices that generate light and often heat, especially.

n. An electric device having a socket for a light bulb, especially a free-standing piece of furniture.

n. A device that gives off ultraviolet, infrared, or other radiation, used for therapeutic purposes.

@rennie and @JRH

I have just ordered these! Are they a lamp or a bulb :scratch:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07QWC31CW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabt1_dlT_YJuQFbV7HEMKH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Let us know how you get on with these i could be interested in trying these.

A guy has them at work and he says they are spot on

So where does the phrase "I'll lamp you one" come from? :popcorn:

It derives from the Norse verb lemja meaning to lame an opponent. Hence it is heard more in northern areas which retain more Norse phrases. It can be traced back to the usage meaning to hit someone as far as the 16th century.

Guest Richzx6r

@rennie and @JRH

I have just ordered these! Are they a lamp or a bulb :scratch:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07QWC31CW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabt1_dlT_YJuQFbV7HEMKH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Let us know how you get on with these i could be interested in trying these.

A guy has them at work and he says they are spot on

In this case spot on light emitting diodes :scratch: