Eifel, Germany. 2021

Gerontious

So I toddled along to the vaccination place to ask for an AZ vaccine yesterday. I'd the idea that I might be able to blag myself an early second jab and be fully kosher before the 4th.

The nurse asked me loads of questions, like which arm, have I had any symptoms, am I allergic to stuff and so on and on and on. She then asked if I had any questions, and I wanted to know if the vaccine was Covishield (the AZ vaccine manufactured India) as the EU aren't accepting it a proper vaccine, so it's no use to me for travelling. This was a bit new to the nurse, but she kindly bustled off and showed me the packaging, but even so it wasn't clear where it had been made.

And then this is the moment when Fate intervened.

Out of the blue she suddenly asked me, "Are you on a covid trial?". And like a fool I said "yes, but no actually, no, I've withdrawn, so no not at all", but this news sent her into a bit of a panic, and after a lot of questions and a lot of words on her part that boiled down to, "I don't know what to do", she decided she wouldn't vaccinate me at all. But rather than saying *she wouldn't vaccinate me, she said she'd ask around for me to find out what to do, and she eventually fired off an email to Public Health England asking what they advised. In other words, she's going to wait until someone else steps up to take the blame for vaccinating me or not. But of course no-one in PHE is going to put themselves in that role.

No worries, I thought to myself, there are loads of vaccination clinics around. Try again at another place. So I made myself an appointment somewhere else for today. And I was prepped: "Are you on a covid trial?" "A trial? No, not me guv". I'd get it right this time.

This morning, though, I see from the NHS app that the nurse has added everything to my NHS notes, how I was on a trial, how I've withdrawn from it, and then all her doubts about what to do, including how she's waiting on a reply from PHE. So I'm sunk. With that in my notes, no-one's going to vaccinate in this country me ever ever ever. No-one's going to touch me.

It would all be a bit sad if it wasn't so funny. Some random question popped into the nurse's head, and I blurted out too much information, and now I'm effectively banned from travelling abroad, like someone from Soviet Russia. Funny old life.

1 hour ago, bonio said:

So I toddled along to the vaccination place to ask for an AZ vaccine yesterday. I'd the idea that I might be able to blag myself an early second jab and be fully kosher before the 4th.

The nurse asked me loads of questions, like which arm, have I had any symptoms, am I allergic to stuff and so on and on and on. She then asked if I had any questions, and I wanted to know if the vaccine was Covishield (the AZ vaccine manufactured India) as the EU aren't accepting it a proper vaccine, so it's no use to me for travelling. This was a bit new to the nurse, but she kindly bustled off and showed me the packaging, but even so it wasn't clear where it had been made.

Out of the blue she suddenly asked me, "Are you on a covid trial?". And like a fool I said "yes, but no actually, no, I've withdrawn, so no not at all", but this news sent her into a bit of a panic, and after a lot of questions and a lot of words on her part that boiled down to, "I don't know what to do", she decided she wouldn't vaccinate me at all. But rather than saying *she wouldn't vaccinate me, she said she'd ask around for me to find out what to do, and she eventually fired off an email to Public Health England asking what they advised. In other words, she's going to wait until someone else steps up to take the blame for vaccinating me or not. But of course no-one in PHE is going to put themselves in that role.

No worries, I thought to myself, there are loads of vaccination clinics around. Try again at another place. So I made myself an appointment somewhere else for today. And I was prepped: "Are you on a covid trial?" "A trial? No, not me guv". I'd get it right this time.

This morning, though, I see from the NHS app that the nurse has added everything to my NHS notes, how I was on a trial, how I've withdrawn from it, and then all her doubts about what to do, including how she's waiting on a reply from PHE. So I'm sunk. With that in my notes, no-one's going to vaccinate in this country me ever ever ever. No-one's going to touch me.

It would all be a bit sad if it wasn't so funny. Some random question popped into the nurse's head, and I blurted out too much information, and now I'm effectively banned from travelling abroad, like someone from Soviet Russia. Funny old life.

Umm well if I was one who was comfortable with a few porkies (which I’m generally not) I might be inclined to toddle along to another appointment and say “Oh that? Thats been resolved, they rang and told me to come here and get my a jab, haven’t they updated my notes? They said I must come” 😉 

2 hours ago, bonio said:

twat

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, bonio said:

Why on earth would you even mention anything about the Vaccine produced in India - just get a jab. Your Vaccine passport wont even mention it :bang: 

19 minutes ago, Pie man said:

Why on earth would you even mention anything about the Vaccine produced in India - just get a jab. Your Vaccine passport wont even mention it :bang: 

Let this be a lesson. A private education might get you a good job, well paid, or into politics - even prime minister. But it doesn’t impart much in the way of good sense. He has always been dizzy, it’s one of his many charms.

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Pie man said:

It does mention it - at least it says on the wife's.

1 hour ago, Pie man said:

Unfortunately the batch no comes up and that's when they go fook off

3 minutes ago, Bender said:

Unfortunately the batch no comes up and that's when they go fook off

I know the batch number comes up but the vaccine is the same as all the other Astrid Zenica or what ever it's called 🤐

10 hours ago, bonio said:

It does mention it - at least it says on the wife's.

I bet it doesn't say made in India though does it, well I'm going to chance it, I bet they wont even pay attension to the batch number, it'll probably all be sorted by then,  I bet they haven't got any of the t'Indian serum left anyway 😂

Edited by Pie man

8 hours ago, Bender said:

Ends in 001 002 003 = made in india

We'll be fine, no-one will notice. 😂

Not that I'm on this trip mind you, but I'm supposed to be travelling to Euroland the same weekend 😆

Edited by Pie man

what it looks like at the moment..

There is an online form to be filled in to satisfy german requirements.

we will need a test before the off and that will get us through french border controls and to the hotel in neuerburg.

while at the hotel we will be tested once and wont have to pay for that.

we are returning on the saturday so will need a test done on the thursday, in germany. and that together with an online form will get us back to the UK.

once home, 2 days later, so on the monday. another, final test.

I think thats about it. anything missed is minor 'box ticking' by comparison.

We are fine stopping for lunch in Belgium, if we happen to be challenged by the Police, they will just want to see our test result, english language is accepted. Nothing else as we are transiting.

I will ask Daniela about the test we need to return with.. that will, i think be done at the chemist in the village and I believe its free. (I seem to remember reading that somewhere)

ball park figures for the tests this side is £99 each... and thats from Boots.

Hopefully there will be none of this next year when we go to Italy.

Edited by Gerontious

4 hours ago, Gerontious said:

what it looks like at the moment..

There is an online form to be filled in to satisfy german requirements.

we will need a test before the off and that will get us through french border controls and to the hotel in neuerburg.

while at the hotel we will be tested once and wont have to pay for that.

we are returning on the saturday so will need a test done on the thursday, in germany. and that together with an online form will get us back to the UK.

once home, 2 days later, so on the monday. another, final test.

I think thats about it. anything missed is minor 'box ticking' by comparison.

We are fine stopping for lunch in Belgium, if we happen to be challenged by the Police, they will just want to see our test result, english language is accepted. Nothing else as we are transiting.

I will ask Daniela about the test we need to return with.. that will, i think be done at the chemist in the village and I believe its free. (I seem to remember reading that somewhere)

ball park figures for the tests this side is £99 each... and thats from Boots.

Hopefully there will be none of this next year when we go to Italy.

What's the plan should the worst happen and there is a positive test. Do you have to stay at your hotel!

Edited by Pie man

Regarding the Batch numbers, I have just read the following countries have independently authorised the Indian made vaccine: Spain. Belgium. Germany. Netherlands. Switzerland. Hungary. Latvia. Iceland and Sweden. Just them pesky French fookers being tw@ts. Might have to get the ferry from Ull to Europoort. 

So the Olive Press say anyway. There is hope.....

UPDATE: Brits wanting to travel to Spain can breathe a sigh of relief as Spanish Government authorise Indian made AstraZeneca vaccine for travel - Olive Press News Spain (theolivepress.es)

Edited by Pie man

1 hour ago, Bungleaio said:

@Gerontious any news on if the hotel is affected by the floods?

Yes it has been. Everyone is ok but there has been a lot of damage. I don’t want to press them too hard but the videos she has sent me are awful.

the village has been hit hard. The main road, the L4 impassible.

videos of the stream, the Enz that lies between the hotel and guesthouse are terrifying.

Edited by Gerontious
  • Sad 2

Covid: Fully jabbed arrivals from France must still quarantine https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57869880

Woke up to this. Applies to those transiting through France too.

Taking into account the devastation in the Eifel, this news and the cases in the UK and France rapidly rising, my mindset is changing to 2022.

Have to admit, this ‘can we/can’t we’ situation is doing my head in!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bender said:

Looks like quarantine free return from France is being revoked due to sa covid variant 

Yeah, I saw that. I’m doubtful the situation will change anytime soon. Goes to show how quickly things can change.

• Like 1