Eifel, Germany. 2021

Gerontious

1 hour ago, Copycat73 said:

so .. has this crossing been booked from a voucher ..because last years bookin was cancelled  by corvid ?

Nope: it's a fresh booking made for this trip.

1 hour ago, Copycat73 said:

so .. has this crossing been booked from a voucher ..because last years bookin was cancelled  by corvid ?

No. Last years trip wasn’t cancelled, though in the event it was just me and I went on a recce to the Dolomites.

Edited by Gerontious

I have been given a voucher to use as I couldn’t push my booking back any further. It’s to the value of my booking last year and I have 12 months to use it. 

I haven't given up all hope. yet.

The Schloss know the situation but have not asked me anything about cancelling, Im not expecting them to unless or until they are approached for a booking for our week in which case I think its only fair to cancel at that point. Which I will do.

Then there is the possibility of going to France, this might be the more likely outcome.  A mad autoroute dash east from the Tunnel to the Vosges on the Sunday, 4 days there and then a slightly more relaxed ride back to Calais over 2 days. Perhaps returning to the Municipal site at Eperney for the overnight on the Friday. Something like that. I will find out the exact rules about Germany, if we can enter even if we cannot 'stay'. The Vosges are just across the Rhine from the Black Forest and it would be nice to visit for a day trip, so to speak. And revisit the south end of the B500 to the Swiss border.

But all this depends on what happens over the next 8 weeks. It's beginning to get a little tight. But.. there is still hope. Changes especially once the School holidays begin, changes that will perhaps carry over to when the School holidays finish. 

All we can do is wait and see.

• Like 2

waiting waiting waiting

tbh a trip anywhere this year will be received gratefully. 

Edited by bonio
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve written off the Eiffel and am poised to cancel the Schloss. I know the Krufts are expecting me to, despite the fact our staying there is fine so long as we are double vaccinated and are prepared for one (free) test during our stay. But this bar is federal and has severe legal implications.

France is currently fine once the 10 day quarantine is relaxed, but it’s very iffy at the mo. I’m setting a cut-off for the end of the first week in August. No change by then and that’s it till next year.

At the beginning of the year I put a deposit down on a holiday to Egypt in November. Think I'm just going to walk away from it. I'd rather have two weeks off now in the summer than have to cancel and take two weeks off in November when we're lockdown again!

section from one Eu newspaper 

“European governments have agreed to a "white list" of 13 countries, including Australia and the United States, for which travel restrictions will be lifted.  There is no Britain among them.

France and Germany are demanding quarantine for travelers from Britain, while Portugal and Spain, two countries dependent on British tourists, are not doing so, so far.”

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Gerontious said:

I’ve written off the Eiffel and am poised to cancel the Schloss. I know the Krufts are expecting me to, despite the fact our staying there is fine so long as we are double vaccinated and are prepared for one (free) test during our stay. But this bar is federal and has severe legal implications.

France is currently fine once the 10 day quarantine is relaxed, but it’s very iffy at the mo. I’m setting a cut-off for the end of the first week in August. No change by then and that’s it till next year.

Sadly I think you are right. Also going to a country is one thing but things can change whilst we are away and all of a sudden it's on the amber list and we've got to quaranteen on the way back. I've got another week planned in the uk the week after we get back with family so I can't risk that.

14 hours ago, Marino said:

section from one Eu newspaper 

“European governments have agreed to a "white list" of 13 countries, including Australia and the United States, for which travel restrictions will be lifted.  There is no Britain among them.

France and Germany are demanding quarantine for travelers from Britain, while Portugal and Spain, two countries dependent on British tourists, are not doing so, so far.”

Greece has said no also. 

It's all a bit stupid too. Apparently we are testing 10 times as many people so not surprisingly we are detecting 10 times as many cases a lot of whom are asymptomatic as well. Feel very sorry for someone wanting to travel outside the UK at the moment.  By brother in Munich hasn't been able to visit the UK since March last year; he's kind of pissed about it.

We've been planning to get to Oz to see our son for the last two years or more. Had to cancel last year's trip of course. It's not going to happen this year either. Or the next. Far worse, though, for people who can't get to their wives and kids and their jobs.

• Sad 1

Rather this year than next year. I'm just glad this has happened when we were set to go to the Eifel, as we have been loads of times and its become almost banal. (though never boring)

Rather the Eifel is cancelled than our much bigger holiday that is set to take place next year. Black Forest, German Allgau, Austria, Italian Alps and Dolomites. A glorious loop.

I did a fair bit of reconnoitring for that last September, visiting places and deciding on whether they were worth a return to,  some most definitely are, but some really aren't. For example, one campsite looked perfect but turned out to be pretty awful from my perspective even though its highly rated.  (I will point it out as we pass by en route to (or from) a transit over the Timmelsjoch pass) 

Or if the goal is the Alps, is it worth pushing the envelope and getting there as quickly as possible, rather than dawdling vis the Black Forest. I think it is.. and then riding the B500 south to north as part of a more lazy return.  Also, I really want Jack to come. Not possible for him this year.. but next? I think he will bite my hand off when I tell him about it. Same goes for Matt.

So.. no Eifel this year. And now its just a matter of waiting to see what happens about France. If we can travel without fear of a quarantine on return then that's fine. If France is subsequently put back on the Q list then we will beat a hasty retreat to return before that takes effect. Though im not worried about that. (I cannot afford to quarantine either)

As far as I can tell we cannot enter Germany for any reason aside from a "transit" and so that rules out a day in the Black Forest, unfortunately. Im not prepared to risk a run-in with the Polizei.

So.. if France does come to pass, Im thinking of the Auvergne.  as plan B to the Vosges.

Lets hope we have a clearer idea by the start of August.

Edited by Gerontious

I think at the moment, to visit France from the UK you need to be double vaccinated and have a recent negative test. If you're not fully vaccinated, you can only visit if your travel is essential, and then you need to jump through une centaine d'hoops, including self-isolating on arrival.

As things stand, I'm out of it, as France doesn't recognise my Novavax vaccine, but Mr Van Tam told me (well, ok, I got a circular email) that he hopes this changes over the next few weeks.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, bonio said:

😎

Now I just need them to decide to accept my vaccine.

I wonder if they would even notice!

Although my first vaccine was on the list I have just noticed my Vaccine Passport has Vaxzevria which is the same as all the other AstraZeneca vaccines given in the UK.   

Edited by Pie man

20 minutes ago, Pie man said:

Although my first vaccine was on the list I have just noticed my Vaccine Passport has Vaxzevria which is the same as all the other AstraZeneca vaccines given in the UK.   

Mine doesn't show up on the NHS app. All I have is a piece of paper, which probably won't take me much further than Folkestone.

• Sad 1

60 days.  Or 8 weeks on Saturday. Still time for these pesky little problems to be sorted. Let’s see what they do about the amber list, first. If that doesn’t change then it’s over regardless.

• Like 2

Good news today... it looks very much like our trip to the Eifel is back on track. There are a few hoops to jump through and these will become clear in the coming days.

I'm going to leave it for a week or so for the dust to settle and hopefully everything made clear. Find out exactly what we need to do so far as leaving and returning to the UK is concerned.. as well as entry and staying in Germany. I had a quick look at the German side and there is a fairly simple English language questionnaire that needs to be filled in. I shall also speak to the hotel at some point and find out what they have to say.

Obviously, there has to be one major caveat. While we are there I shall be checking the BBC every night and if there is any change of status, And we need to quarantine on return then we will leave the schloss to beat any deadline. I absolutely cannot afford to quarantine. And, I guess neither can any of you.

Anyway.. if anyone hasn't booked crossings or Eureka, I would suggest leaving that for a little while, say until towards the end of this month. Unless you are feeling keen and want some sort of guarantee of a room, for instance. I have a double room booked at the Travelodge and am willing to share, just bring a sleeping bag!!

I should also add that currently we are not allowed to visit Luxembourg, though riding through is fine. There are no border checks. So, there will not be a 'day in Luxembourg' this time round.

• Like 2