Christmas Day thread

James in Brum

2 hours ago, Gerontious said:

No. there are two mid winters. One recognised by the meteorologists for whom winter begins on December 1st.  so, mid winter for them is 6 weeks after that. But that's only related to the weather. The traditional midwinters day is 21st. The shortest day of the year. 

Sorry to be pedantic but .......

Read your own post, the shortest day is the end of Autumn and the start of Winter .... not the middle of winter !!

As the longest day is the end of Spring and the start of summer .... not Midsummer 

AAAGGGHHH!

:classic_biggrin:

53 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Now now peeps, 'tis the season of goodwill and all that. Just organising a Christmas bimble to New Brighton where hopefully we can find a bag of chips and some scooter riders to fight with on the beach. Must keep traditions alive. 

We're off to Hornsea for the same .... chips, fish and frost bite ...:classic_smile:

Edited by Trooper74

4 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

No.4 grandchild arrived this morning finally at 0122. So for our family at least this dismal year ends on a high note! 

Here's hoping that everyone else's  2021 is better too.

excellent :thumb:

I love Boxing Day maybe more than Christmas Day. I enjoy putting the time in to make sure everyone gets a good Christmas but Boxing Day with the cold cuts and someone else frying the hashed up leftovers is a joy. Only time of the year I eat pickled beetroot and piccalilli because for no reason I can fathom it only tastes good on Boxing Day?!

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, James in Brum said:

The Lego I had didn’t come in kits. This was my four years old’s gift from Grandad who is very into Lego and kits and gets the expensive one every year. 
I rather enjoyed making this :-)

F62D93E7-67AB-44C8-A896-7D2B94F7EAA1.jpeg

One year my son desperately wanted the Lego Millenium falcon. It was far far too advanced for his 5 year old brain so the majority of Christmas Day was spent putting together the over 7500 pieces. He was thrilled, he picked it up took a few steps, tripped over his own feet and smashed it into hundreds and hundreds of pieces. I’ve never seen my husbands face that white before or since 😆 Although the pedal tractor we left the assembling of until they went bed on Christmas Eve is right up there, it was ridiculously complicated and we’d had far too much of Santa’s Sherry to make sense of the German instructions, took 4 hrs to get it together 😆

Edited by Slowlycatchymonkey
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

One year my son desperately wanted the Lego Millenium falcon. It was far far too advanced for his 5 year old brain so the majority of Christmas Day was spent putting together the over 7500 pieces. He was thrilled, he picked it up took a few steps, tripped over his own feet and smashed it into hundreds and hundreds of pieces. I’ve never seen my husbands face that white before or since 😆 Although the pedal tractor we left the assembling of until they went bed on Christmas Eve is right up there, it was ridiculously complicated and we’d had far too much of Santa’s Sherry to make sense of the German instructions, took 4 hrs to get it together 😆

You can purchase a water soluble adhesive that you dissolve in a container and dunk your model into and it glues it all together ... we used it for our Falcon ... apparently if you want to dismantle all you have to do is leave it overnight in a bath of warm water and it comes apart again ... haven't tried the latter but it certainly works ... we bought it from a model engineering show in Shipley ...

18 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

My vote for him to be named Brian was shot down. 

He is Not the Messiah , just a very naughty Boy 

5 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Brian is a fine name so long as it’s the family guys Brian 😆

🤨

I am still recovering from the year, many many eons past, when my in-laws for some unfathomable reason saw fit to endow our daughters with Barbie Bubble Palace.

This unexpected catastrophe turned out to consist of 15 acres of bright pink plastic and several thousand stickers. Most of it was just platforms with a hand cranked bubble device at one end. No bubble mix was included. It took most of Christmas Day to assemble after which it sat occupying half the living room whilst being completely ignored.

• Like 1

My daughter was not a girlie-girl but was gifted a Barbie doll by a relative.  I found dismembered pieces of said doll all over the garden including the head impaled on a sloe bush thorn. I was quite concerned for a day or two.

• Haha 3

47 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Just opened a yet another excellent and thoughtful Christmas prezzie from my brother. How do I break it to him actually Im a bit thick? 😂

Take it back to the shop. Tell them you've changed your mind.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Just opened a yet another excellent and thoughtful Christmas prezzie from my brother. How do I break it to him actually Im a bit thick? 😂

0CC7097D-D60B-4C0D-B269-56FE43364587.jpeg

H’mmm a couple of micro dots & it’ll all become clear maaaaaaan

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

My daughter was not a girlie-girl but was gifted a Barbie doll by a relative.  I found dismembered pieces of said doll all over the garden including the head impaled on a sloe bush thorn. I was quite concerned for a day or two.

so Barbie was no more