Are motorbikes getting wider?

onesea

10 hours ago, Steve_M said:

The macho image has long been with us regardless of the type of bike. Looking back to when super sport bikes were the in thing, how many riders actually took them on track, while riding around Foggy (other riders were available 😂) replica leathers? 

As you say, my GS is never going to go off-road unless I crash. Though I may well have a ride on the gravel roads around Kielder. I may take it for a spin around Cadwell, though. Sans panniers and topbox, mind.

I can just about grasp the idea of going down the pub in a football shirt with some player's name on it . But some chunky middle aged bloke in full Rossi leathers and helmet riding an R1 with the full sticker kit just seemed infantile and sycophantic to me . I shouldn't really complain though because sales of this crap paid my wages for years . 

• Haha 1

My lot in age order;

1970 SS125; 755mm

1975 GT380; 815mm

1993 RGV 250; 695mm

2001 R1; 695mm

2003 Silverwing; 770mm

Surprised the R1 and RGV are the same, the 250 is tiny in comparison but I guess the bar's need to be a minimum width to maintain control and a reasonable level of comfort.

3 hours ago, fastbob said:

I can just about grasp the idea of going down the pub in a football shirt with some player's name on it . But some chunky middle aged bloke in full Rossi leathers and helmet riding an R1 with the full sticker kit just seemed infantile and sycophantic to me . I shouldn't really complain though because sales of this crap paid my wages for years . 

Most hobbies are infantile. Dancing, swimming, bowling (grown up marbles), boats, train sets, football, bashing a drum, motorbikes... all things you’ll find five year olds are into. Most of us don’t change that much, getting fat n old doesn’t preclude them from enjoying the things they do. An imaginary list of approved activities once you hit a certain age or weight is sadly restrictive. I just see it as someone indulging in whatever turns them on even if it appears a bit silly to me.

I can’t argue the reality gap is often pretty comedic and the tantrums that can go with them are very funny. 
200.gif

8 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

All tantrums are an entertaining waste of time. 

I loved the ones clearing the deck grown men throwing shackles, joining links, sledge hammers around some of them weighed 50+kgs just stand safe out  of the way..

1 hour ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Most hobbies are infantile. Dancing, swimming, bowling (grown up marbles), boats, train sets, football, bashing a drum, motorbikes... all things you’ll find five year olds are into. Most of us don’t change that much, getting fat n old doesn’t preclude them from enjoying the things they do. An imaginary list of approved activities once you hit a certain age or weight is sadly restrictive. I just see it as someone indulging in whatever turns them on even if it appears a bit silly to me.

I can’t argue the reality gap is often pretty comedic and the tantrums that can go with them are very funny. 
200.gif

No . I think that you have missed my point by overthinking what I have written . I was specifically refering to the race replica era and those who took it a little too far by dressing up as replicas of the riders . A bit like kids in the 60,s running around in homemade Batman capes . 

14 minutes ago, fastbob said:

No . I think that you have missed my point by overthinking what I have written . I was specifically refering to the race replica era and those who took it a little too far by dressing up as replicas of the riders . A bit like kids in the 60,s running around in homemade Batman capes . 

That is my point. Dressing up like Batman or Rossi isn’t really any more infantile than any hobby or pastime.
Where your line is of what’s “too far” is unsurprisingly just on the other side of what you consider appropriate for your hobby.

Some people with what they consider are more highbrow pastimes would think what you spend your spare time doing (motorbikes) and what I like doing (motorbikes) infantile. 

Oh yes, I've been accused of indulging my second childhood. Frankly I couldn't care less. I enjoy my bike even some of the more masochistic aspects of it. As to tantrums well the last one I can remember was after I accidentally threw a brand new rod and reel into the North Sea. My mate thought it was hilarious and I was sorely tempted to throw him in too.

Edited by S-Westerly
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

A lot of the adventure bikes to seem to make the best tourers. The higher the comfort level the easier the miles are, the more you can enjoy the ride and the destination. If I could handle the weight and height of a GS I’d have one. 

I really don’t care how people dress though, if someone wants to ride in a leather onsie, the full blown hipster vibe, adventure gear or fancy dress that’s fine with me. As long they don’t ride like an idiot if they’re happy I’m happy for them to enjoy whatever fantasy they’re indulging in. If they’re thinking they’re Spiderman for a few hours there’s no harm in it.

Personally I wear whatever suits the weather. At the moment I’m rocking a snowmobile suit that would give Mr Blobby a run for his money. I have excellent waterproofs that make binliners look stylish, well vented touring trousers, riding jeans and when it’s really sunny I wear large floral trousers- very airy. 

I’ve got an amazing 1 piece fully padded suit i bought from a fishing shop near Barnsley for £60 .. Waterproof and warm ... and cheap ... I wear MX boots, spine protector ( Mac Book ) and cycling bib tights and tops under it for the warm and cosy winter motorcycling experience.

If SCM would like to model the leather onesie i’m sure we would be happy to supply a round of appreciation  .... :classic_biggrin:

If not, it’s me in the bib tights ... you have been warned .... Like Max Wall on acid ...

Edited by Trooper74
  • Haha 1

If you ever work with the elderly you’ll find a lot seem to rediscover the stuff that gave them kicks as a kid and cos eventually most people stop caring what others think they really enjoy themselves often in the most childish ways. Tis one of the things I really like about old folk. 

9 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

Oh yes, I've been accused of indulging my second childhood. Frankly I couldn't care less. I enjoy my bike even some of the more masochistic aspects of it. As to tantrums well the last one I can remember was after I accidentally threw a brand new rod and reel into the North Sea. My mate thought it was hilarious and I was sorely tempted to throw him in too.

Im chuckling just thinking about it... but also- sorry about your rod 😖😂

6 minutes ago, Trooper74 said:

I’ve got an amazing 1 piece fully padded suit i bought from a fishing shop near Barnsley for £60 .. Waterproof and warm ... and cheap ... I wear MX boots, spine protector ( Mac Book ) and cycling bib tights and tops under it for the warm and cosy winter motorcycling experience.

If SCM would like to model the leather onesie i’m sure we would be happy to supply a round of appreciation  .... :classic_biggrin:

If not, it’s me in the bib tights ... you have been warned .... Like Max Wall on acid ...

Afraid I don’t have a leather onesie, a friend of mine does a lot of track racing and somehow she makes them look amazing. I can do a pretty good impression of Bibendum in my winter gear though 😆

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Afraid I don’t have a leather onesie, a friend of mine does a lot of track racing and somehow she makes them look amazing. I can do a pretty good impression of Bibendum in my winter gear though 😆

Horror in Lycra ........ i can out Bibendum you any time .. thats me in red ...a gentle winter 50 miler ...:classic_biggrin:

fullsizeoutput_29a.jpeg

Edited by Trooper74
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 08/01/2021 at 07:32, onesea said:

Not just there riders....

It's it just an looks styling thing or are buggers particularly tourers and adventure bikes getting wider.

My Trophy and TDM look thinner than allot of modern bikes.  Back when you could ride with friends many would not join me when filtering.

Even simple filtering up the middle of a dual carriageway seemed to get them stressed.

The width of panniers seems to be going crazy as well.

On paper my Trophy width 790 mm

Modern Trophy SE width W : 975 mm.

in my mind that's allot more bike to push through traffic.

Are you comparing like for like? new for old? and the replacements? 

If so then a lot of bikes are getting wider in respect of fairings and panniers but not always the mirrors and bars width 

48 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I tend to avoid posting pics of myself (and having any taken) but just so your not the only prat in lycra here you go. 

8C8A393F-8720-4EE4-B5B3-77079F759CDD.jpeg

Sportive ? 

2 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I tend to avoid posting pics of myself (and having any taken) but just so your not the only prat in lycra here you go. 

8C8A393F-8720-4EE4-B5B3-77079F759CDD.jpeg

looks like Trooper74  coming up from the rear