Are motorbikes getting wider?

onesea

Not just there riders....

It's it just an looks styling thing or are buggers particularly tourers and adventure bikes getting wider.

My Trophy and TDM look thinner than allot of modern bikes.  Back when you could ride with friends many would not join me when filtering.

Even simple filtering up the middle of a dual carriageway seemed to get them stressed.

The width of panniers seems to be going crazy as well.

On paper my Trophy width 790 mm

Modern Trophy SE width W : 975 mm.

in my mind that's allot more bike to push through traffic.

Simple answer is... maybe.

The current trend being for adventure bikes, they, naturally, have wider handlebars than, say, a sports bike. I noticed this particularly when I bought my Triumph Tiger 1050SE to supplement my VFR800. My GS is even wider. 

I haver a BMW1200RT  I filter with this but change the pannier lids for narrower city lids.    The panniers may be no wider than the mirrors but  if you have to weave a little the back of the bike takes a closer track to the side you moving too.

• Like 1

I have only been riding 7 years, my observation is, touring/ adventure style bikes are getting to the width that they take more space parking, struggle in heavy traffic particularly with panniers and are literally 1/2 the width of cars...

40 minutes ago, onesea said:

I have only been riding 7 years, my observation is, touring/ adventure style bikes are getting to the width that they take more space parking, struggle in heavy traffic particularly with panniers and are literally 1/2 the width of cars...

Most cars appear to ne getting wider, makes gaps to aim for smaller.

• Like 1

I think there's a lot of macho Sh1t around adventure bikes ... the vast majority of them only go off road if they crash .. 

"Look at my big bike" syndrome  .... 

Though my little Himma never goes off road either but i don't dress and behave like i'm on the "Long Way Down " every time  i go to the shops ... :classic_biggrin:

Africa Twins are nice .... And the new Suzi 650 ...

Edited by Trooper74
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think some riders are getting wider ..... A few enduro riders passed me while out walking a few months ago on one of the green lanes, the guy at the back was riding a 250 KTM,  although, at the time, my comment was, as he went passed us, that he wasn't riding it, he was wearing it like a G String! 😬

• Haha 3

My bikes are getting narrower . Apart from the footpegs , the Sportster practically disappears when viewed head on . This is actually quite disconcerting when you first sit on a Harley . Of course when I stick some panniers on it it instantly becomes a Bagger ( Or Bugger as some would have it 🤣

IMG_20190701_090805570.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Trooper74 said:

I think there's a lot of macho Sh1t around adventure bikes ... the vast majority of them only go off road if they crash .. 

Though my little Himma never goes off road either but i don't dress and behave like i'm on the "Long Way Down " every time  i go to the shops ... :classic_biggrin:

no my serow has never been off road while i have owned it either

14 minutes ago, skyrider said:

no my serow has never been off road while i have owned it either

I'm inclined to agree . If you go to the area around Abergwesyn Pass in Wales you'll see dozens of these leviathans wobbling around filming each other . Same in Scotland , convoys of the things blocking the road with their big tin boxes . No doubt some will disagree but unless you are on a transcontinental trip there's no need for these monstrosities . Any comfortable bike and a few bungees and you're good to go . 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Trooper74 said:

I'm inclined to agree . If you go to the area around Abergwesyn Pass in Wales you'll see dozens of these leviathans wobbling around filming each other . Same in Scotland , convoys of the things blocking the road with their big tin boxes . No doubt some will disagree but unless you are on a transcontinental trip there's no need for these monstrosities . Any comfortable bike and a few bungees and you're good to go . 

1 minute ago, fastbob said:

I'm inclined to agree . If you go to the area around Abergwesyn Pass in Wales you'll see dozens of these leviathans wobbling around filming each other . Same in Scotland , convoys of the things blocking the road with their big tin boxes . No doubt some will disagree but unless you are on a transcontinental trip there's no need for these monstrosities . Any comfortable bike and a few bungees and you're good to go . 

no im not a fan of bikes covered in suitcases 

57 minutes ago, fastbob said:

I'm inclined to agree . If you go to the area around Abergwesyn Pass in Wales you'll see dozens of these leviathans wobbling around filming each other . 

Bloody hell someone should of told me you need a Adventure bike to go over there :o 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fastbob said:

My bikes are getting narrower . Apart from the footpegs , the Sportster practically disappears when viewed head on . This is actually quite disconcerting when you first sit on a Harley . Of course when I stick some panniers on it it instantly becomes a Bagger ( Or Bugger as some would have it 🤣

IMG_20190701_090805570.jpg

Only if you ride in assless  chaps.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, onesea said:

Bloody hell someone should of told me you need a Adventure bike to go over there :o 

Its tarmac .... MZ150 territory ....

Edited by Trooper74

1 hour ago, onesea said:

My Mrs drove that route in her 206 GTI on our return home from Wales, looking on a map it was a straight line from New Quay to the Midlands.

She still refers to it as driving "the rally stage "

• Like 2

On 09/01/2021 at 09:49, Trooper74 said:

The macho image has long been with us regardless of the type of bike. Looking back to when super sport bikes were the in thing, how many riders actually took them on track, while riding around Foggy (other riders were available 😂) replica leathers? 

As you say, my GS is never going to go off-road unless I crash. Though I may well have a ride on the gravel roads around Kielder. I may take it for a spin around Cadwell, though. Sans panniers and topbox, mind.

• Like 2

perception is somewhat different to the reality.

3 inches.

My 2018 Honda Adventure sports 1000cc and Steve M's R1200GS as well as the KTM 1290 are all three of them just 3 inches wider than the 411cc and 650cc Royal Enfield Himalayan.

The huge R1250GS Adventure: 5 inches wider, it carries a 30L tank, mind.

when you look at "Adventure Bike" riders, they are the vast majority of them just as much fashion victims as sports bike riders were in years past... because the vast majority were sports bikes riders in the past. so, all the gear.. clothing, helmets with a peak. and so on. Just the same as full leathers and sliders in the past on a bike that never went on the track.  The people haven't changed.. but the bikes have.

"fashion victims" are somewhat different to normal riders though. I have been organising tours abroad for 11 years now.. and every year there has been at least one BMW GS, mostly two or three... and never, has anyone come along with me wearing 'the gear'. never.

And spare me the nonsense about 'off roading'.  yes, people do.. I get to see photos and videos all the time and admire what some people get up to on these bikes.. its quite remarkable. but mostly they are bought as tourers.. or practical distance bikes, which are much easier to ride on narrow twisty roads here and abroad than your typical tourer. and a joy on the shite condition roads we have to deal with in this country. which is just one reason for their popularity amongst 'non fashion victims'. Like the people I associate with.

• Like 2

A lot of the adventure bikes to seem to make the best tourers. The higher the comfort level the easier the miles are, the more you can enjoy the ride and the destination. If I could handle the weight and height of a GS I’d have one. 

I really don’t care how people dress though, if someone wants to ride in a leather onsie, the full blown hipster vibe, adventure gear or fancy dress that’s fine with me. As long they don’t ride like an idiot if they’re happy I’m happy for them to enjoy whatever fantasy they’re indulging in. If they’re thinking they’re Spiderman for a few hours there’s no harm in it.

Personally I wear whatever suits the weather. At the moment I’m rocking a snowmobile suit that would give Mr Blobby a run for his money. I have excellent waterproofs that make binliners look stylish, well vented touring trousers, riding jeans and when it’s really sunny I wear large floral trousers- very airy. 

• Like 1