Just about lost everything.

dynax

I have been looking through my photography collection for the website, and most of it is lost.

My pre digital work on film is mostly there as I some transferred onto cd's when it was a thing.

My early digital stuff however is gone, I had a Seagate network drive and everything was backed up on that, at some point it stopped working but never investigated it  I just turned it off and disconnected it, this was several years ago now.

Just looking through some of my memory cards and found that my early stuff is not there, I must cleared the cards after backing them up. Which means I have lost several weddings that I photographed, Thousands of other photos, totally peed off.

• Sad 1

You will need backup for backup of backup to be on the safe side.

Years ago I lost 500gb of photos stored in a faulty WD cloud drive.

Memory sticks are a short term solution, they will lose data with time.

CD's and DVD's will become damaged

Old tape backup machines will also lose data with time.

On the plus side, who wants to remember weddings? ;) 

37 minutes ago, husoi said:

You will need backup for backup of backup to be on the safe side.

Years ago I lost 500gb of photos stored in a faulty WD cloud drive.

Memory sticks are a short term solution, they will lose data with time.

CD's and DVD's will become damaged

Old tape backup machines will also lose data with time.

On the plus side, who wants to remember weddings? ;) 

Most of my photography career has gone, on the plus side it gives me an incentive to rebuild  it. The downside I have nothing to show for the best part of 25 years of my photography.

That's one of the good things on online paid storage like onedrive or the likes.

they have always a way to recover lost information and near unlimited storage.

Not for private use but handy for business

1 minute ago, husoi said:

That's one of the good things on online paid storage like onedrive or the likes.

they have always a way to recover lost information and near unlimited storage.

Not for private use but handy for business

Still not foolproof, it still has to go on a physical device somewhere.

Just now, dynax said:

True, but with daily backups it is more likely that they will be able to recover data than using your own device for storage an no backup

there are companies that can extract data from a hard disk. perhaps might be worthwhile investigating that. just because a disk drive has stopped working doesn't t mean that the data thereon is not still intact.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, husoi said:

True, but with daily backups it is more likely that they will be able to recover data than using your own device for storage an no backup

I think for personal use I might get a couple of portable drives.

1 minute ago, Gerontious said:

there are companies that can extract data from a hard disk. perhaps might be worthwhile investigating that. just because a disk drive has stopped working doesn't t mean that the data thereon is not still intact.

This is a possibility but not sure if there is any personal stuff on it.

Interesting topic.

When I was a wedding photographer I was very paranoid about backing up, so for each usb HD I had to archive pictures, I had an other to back up. Plus I had one of the Synology Raid box, with 4 disks, in Raid 5, where to keep an extra back up.

Then all the pictures were reduced as jpg and back up on Google drive.

Now, I'm not a wedding photographer anymore, and I basically I sold all the disks, just to make some money to keep the motorbike safe.

2 hours ago, dynax said:

I have been looking through my photography collection for the website, and most of it is lost.

My pre digital work on film is mostly there as I some transferred onto cd's when it was a thing.

My early digital stuff however is gone, I had a Seagate network drive and everything was backed up on that, at some point it stopped working but never investigated it  I just turned it off and disconnected it, this was several years ago now.

Just looking through some of my memory cards and found that my early stuff is not there, I must cleared the cards after backing them up. Which means I have lost several weddings that I photographed, Thousands of other photos, totally peed off.

thats modern technology for you cant beat hard copies :neutral:

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, fredc said:

I’ve done data recovery for 20 years 

I can take a look at it.

Thanks for the offer Fred but there's not much point, I have resigned myself to the fact that it's gone, as previously said it gives me some incentive to start afresh, and create a new more up to date portfolio.

In some respects it probably will be better.

3 minutes ago, Tiggie said:

Certainly would be worth trying some recovery software. Most have a free trial

Doubt that would work as it's a network drive and it won't even power up.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, dynax said:

Doubt that would work as it's a network drive and it won't even power up.

You can remove the HDD and plug it to another device.

There are even some artifacts that use HDD for removable drives. A network drive is nothing more than a desktop HDD unless is a SSD.

Then you're stuffed.

2 hours ago, dynax said:

There will be image copies and inbuilt resilience... (though I did work for well known, multi-National infrastructure company that failed to patch their servers for 18 months, so I would, and do, keep a a couple of solid state backups of my own).

1 hour ago, dynax said:

Thanks for the offer Fred but there's not much point, I have resigned myself to the fact that it's gone, as previously said it gives me some incentive to start afresh, and create a new more up to date portfolio.

In some respects it probably will be better.

I only need the hard disk. if it still spins I can get something off it

3 minutes ago, Bender said:

If the disk is not damaged and you can find the same drive swap the disc platter over, it's more doable on some than others.

TBH it's more hassle than it's worth, I mean yeah it's a pain and I have lost thousands of photos, but it just means I will have to start from scratch :thumb: