Plasma donations

Bender

I've been sent a msg to say they want plasma from folk who have had covid, I've never given blood mainly because we are never not in a far away country long enough to be allowed.

I'm presuming when they say plasma they just mean they want a pint of blood?  Medic.

Pretty much the same, the only difference being they put the unused portion back in, plasma is separated from the blood in a centrifuge ..... I was also wondering how they did it and was reading up on it yesterday  

graphic-plasmapheresis.jpg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bender said:

I've been sent a msg to say they want plasma from folk who have had covid, I've never given blood mainly because we are never not in a far away country long enough to be allowed.

I'm presuming when they say plasma they just mean they want a pint of blood?  Medic.

No, plasma is different, and a much longer process.

• Like 1

With normal blood donation it's just a case of taking a set amount out. Usually takes under half an hour.

With plasma the blood is separated, the plasma is removed and the rest pumped back into the donor. It can take a couple of hours.

I used to be a donor but had a bad experience when the nurse missed the vein and hit a nerve. No gripes about that, accidents happen. She knew straight away and was really concerned.

My grumble is that when a couple a days later it was really painful no-one wanted to know. The blood donor helpline just ignored the issue. Some years later I still get problems with that arm. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Bender said:

I've never given blood mainly because we are never not in a far away country long enough to be allowed.

We've found a way to fix that for you 🤣

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

Can't give blood as I had malaria about 30 years ago and apparently it's a no-no. My son who is B negative is forever being asked to give blood as it's rare in the uk.

Rare everywhere.

Mine is second rarest at A (-)

I’ve given blood 32 times, but can’t persuade any family members to do the same, not even try it once.

Exceptions are sons, who would both like to but can’t.

Eldest because he had plasma when he was little at the height of the CJD outbreak & youngest coz he’s gay.

• Like 2

I'm A- but also I don't have the antibodies most people have which means my blood can be used for babies. 

Apparently most people encounter something which does no harm but makes their body produce antibodies. Once they have these their blood can't be given to babies because babies don't have the antibodies.

Given how keen they were to get my blood I was surprised how disinterested they were when things went wrong.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I've been accepted for the next step, a home test kit.

So I've filled in the forms for them to send the diy test kit.

What a stupid stupid process it was too, for date of birth the only option was to click backwards month by month through every year till I got to my dob, the first attempt didn't take so had to do it again what a stupid stupid system, did I say it was stupid.

Awaiting the postman 😁 

• Like 1

On 31/01/2021 at 20:32, Mickly said:

I’ve given blood 32 times, but can’t persuade any family members to do the same, not even try it once.

Exceptions are sons, who would both like to but can’t.

Eldest because he had plasma when he was little at the height of the CJD outbreak & youngest coz he’s gay.

I believe they are changing the gay ruling for blood donations

On 31/01/2021 at 19:48, S-Westerly said:

Can't give blood as I had malaria about 30 years ago and apparently it's a no-no. My son who is B negative is forever being asked to give blood as it's rare in the uk.

Has he done it?

Im B- and it was a huge stumbling block with the transplant process

2 minutes ago, Silentbob83 said:

If it is the same process as a plasma exchange it isn’t a pleasant experience. 

They can do it one of two ways- lines in the neck or in the groin. 

I'm not squeamish I have a long history of impromptu hospital visits most self inflicted 😁 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Bender said:

Mine are usually uncomplicated, knife slip, cut, I was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

NHS staff’s dream. No massive unnecessarily detailed back story, no axe to grind, just did something dumb, fix ‘em up send ‘em back out to do the next one! 😂

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

NHS staff’s dream. No massive unnecessarily detailed back story, no axe to grind, just did something dumb, fix ‘em up send ‘em back out to do the next one! 😂

Yup, mostly it's, I don't mind a few extra stitches, no I won't rest it, stick some tape on as well I've got work to finish.

I've never found NHS staff in a&e to be anything other than brilliant, I think your right though, being pleasant, slightly amusing and no bother goes along way.

Especially when you see what numpties come through the doors.

Last time I was in a&e was with the wife, while waiting police came in with someone stoned that was obviously delaying the cell, he got confused because after triage his injured arm changed sides.

Then there was the drunk, who nearly fell out the chair on more than one occasion, they don't have an easy time of it.

24 minutes ago, Bender said:

Yup, mostly it's, I don't mind a few extra stitches, no I won't rest it, stick some tape on as well I've got work to finish.

I've never found NHS staff in a&e to be anything other than brilliant, I think your right though, being pleasant, slightly amusing and no bother goes along way.

Especially when you see what numpties come through the doors.

Last time I was in a&e was with the wife, while waiting police came in with someone stoned that was obviously delaying the cell, he got confused because after triage his injured arm changed sides.

Then there was the drunk, who nearly fell out the chair on more than one occasion, they don't have an easy time of it.

Was once in A&E waiting for news of a mate who’d come off his bike in front of me ( he was mostly ok, just gravel rash & stitches ) when a guy came in with a very bloodied tea towel wrapped around his hand, I then realised that the bloodied transparent plastic bag his Mrs was carrying contained his fingers 🤢

A blocked lawn mower incident apparently.

• Sad 1