First theft attempt.

daveinlim

Today marked a landmark experience.

I came outside with the plan of a wander around on my bike to find it someone had a go at it in the night.

The cover had been taken off and one mirror broken. I assumed someone had parked alongside me caught the cover when pulling away. 

A neighbour say me and said someone had a go at nicking his bike last night.  His alarm went off and he opened the curtains to see 4 lads in balaclava attacking his bike. They managed to rip off his top box and steal a lid that was inside. 

He said they knocked bike over. He picked it up and put the ripped cover in to my broken top box.

Now my top box will close but not lock, one mirror is smashed and the throttle housing has a crack. Also the throttle is sticking. 

I'll drop it to the local mechanic tomorrow. 

The neighbour has filed with the police. I dont know if I should too. Will it affect my premium on insurance next year?

Given the tried to access top boxes I'm not sure if they were after the bike or chancing that the box had something in it.

Either way I'm pretty 🤬 angry. 

A few neighbours have ring doorbells so they are checking them but that won't turn up anything if they are wearing balaclava and probably on stolen scooters anyway. 

• Sad 2

34 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Reporting to the police won't affect your insurance by itself.

Sorry to hear the news. Be aware it's not unknown for them to come back for a second go so if you can move it somewhere else for a while.

I've 4 good locks and 2 alarms on it now. Unfortunately nowhere else to keep it for now other than push it to a random street 

That's the only time I would go mental and brake their arms and legs in several places. 🤬

Cover the rainproof cover with a thin copper mesh and plug it to the mains...

That will stop them.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, KiwiBob said:

Report it to the Police! .. (not that they will do anything) .. Your insurance will only be affected if you make a claim.

Report it to the police. It might be that they are aware of this group and it will add to their knowledge base which may help them catch the toerags, even if not for their attempt on your bike but for other crimes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've rang police and was directed to fill out an online form.

I'll have to wait a day or 2 for them to get back to me. 

Local councilor apparently lives on our road  so the other guy has reported to him and he's doing something. Not really sure what though. 

Thinking of getting a monimoto tracker or something similar. This all happened at 6 am and I didn't hear a thing. 

24 minutes ago, Bender said:

Is it visible from a camera if you fitted  cctv, you can set a camera to send a warning, the motion delection is pretty good on ones that don't use pir.

It's on the street outside the house which is a maisonette. We rent so I couldn't put a camera up. Also I secure the bike to a lamp post but not always the same one as other residents park up beside it. 

• Sad 1

Don't ring insurance up. Premium will definitely go up.

I had to claim mine as stolen once. Luckily I actually found it about an hour later hidden in the local rough estate.

Got it home, rang insurance to cancel claim. When it came time to renew I found that despite them not having to pay out anything it was still classed as a claim and I lost my no claims as well as a premium hike :roll:

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Tiggie said:

I had to claim mine as stolen once. Luckily I actually found it about an hour later hidden in the local rough estate.

Got it home, rang insurance to cancel claim. When it came time to renew I found that despite them not having to pay out anything it was still classed as a claim and I lost my no claims as well as a premium hike :roll:

Well that sucks. Rotten bast*rds and I mean the insurance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, daveinlim said:

It's on the street outside the house which is a maisonette. We rent so I couldn't put a camera up. Also I secure the bike to a lamp post but not always the same one as other residents park up beside it. 

Unfortunately sounds like a recipe for another attempt 

27 minutes ago, Bender said:

Unfortunately sounds like a recipe for another attempt 

I've added extra locks and alarms. It's recovered and strapped to something solid. 

I've nowhere to lock it up. I can't ride it away somewhere as the throttle is broken. So I can't see what else I can do. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tiggie said:

Yeah I've heard of that happening in various insurances. Was on watchdog on BBC one time. Person rang about a claim to cost it and decided it's better to fix it themselves rather than claim. Next year, premium hikes up as the insurance company stated that their statistics show that someone who has had need to claim or repair themselves are statistically more likely to claim in the future. Scandalous that they can apply that twisted logic.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, daveinlim said:

I've added extra locks and alarms. It's recovered and strapped to something solid. 

I've nowhere to lock it up. I can't ride it away somewhere as the throttle is broken. So I can't see what else I can do. 

I feel for you, I've had vehicles stolen and broken into, it's shit 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

Well that sucks. Rotten bast*rds and I mean the insurance.

Insurance companies like bankers are licensed robbers...

Would you have space for a small metal shed as the ones in the adverts in the forum?

Will count as a locked garage for insurance and what they don't see they don't want.

8 hours ago, husoi said:

Insurance companies like bankers are licensed robbers...

Would you have space for a small metal shed as the ones in the adverts in the forum?

Will count as a locked garage for insurance and what they don't see they don't want.

Tricky when you live in a maisonette. We lived in one in a high crime area years ago and the only thing I could do was hire a garage, but they're few and far between.

I used to leave my top box empty and never lock it. At least that way they'd see there was nothing in it without breaking it.

The only option is to make the bike visibly not worth the bother. Thieves are usually opportunistic and lazy. A bike with several locks stands more chance of being passed over in favour of an easier target.

A couple of good quality chains can be supplemented by a quantity of cheap ones. 

13 hours ago, daveinlim said:

I recently added a blink camera, £99 on amazon or £75 on sale. I got mine used for £40 and its brilliant. works on wifi, has batteries that last 2 years, sends alarm to your phone and you can talk through it like ring but alot cheaper.

If buying second had make sure the previous owner takes the camera off his account (app) or it wont work. But its brilliant and 2 little screws to mount or suction mount to a window facing out (sound no good then tho).

sorry to hear your crappy news.

No option for buying a storage unit etc as I've no garden I could use. 

I've added a few more locks.

I think leaving the box unlocked is a good idea from now on. Although the box is now broken so can't lock anyway. They dropped the bike ripping the cover off. Lucky enough the box took the brunt of the drop so no damage to body of the bike. 

I think getting a monimoto tracker would help. At least that way I would be alerted. This happened at 6  apparently and I heard nothing. 

It's booked in to the local garage now to get a proper look over before I ride it again. 

Edited by daveinlim
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well I got the bike back a few days ago. 

Lucky enough things weren't as bad as the seem. 

After an inspection and some minor cosmetic parts everything is fixed. 

Well with the exception of my top box, the lock is f**ked. So I'll need to replace that.

Big thank you to the motorcycle surgery for not taking advantage when they easily could have. https://www.motorcycle-surgery.co.uk/

2 minutes ago, daveinlim said:

Well with the exception of my top box, the lock is f**ked. So I'll need to replace that.

Any idea what type it is? I have a few spares 

Just now, daveinlim said:

I have shad luggage and have replaced my locks so I will have a look for my spares 

• Like 1