Security at home and away

Hi All. New to this wonderful world of biking and taking my CBT in a few weeks, but do want to start thinking about how I’m going to  protect my machine at home and at the station/work (when I eventually start commuting again).

I plan on installing a tracking system like BikeTrac etc. And then installing bike anchors at home with a decent chain and lock. Then thinking about adding disc locks and possibly grip locks.

So hoping to get some views on each of the following items:

Trackers:

Ground anchors:

Chains:

Chain Locks (for home and station):

Disc Locks:

Grip Locks:

And any other things that are worth thinking of :)

Thanks!

I'd be surprised if people put too much detail about what security they have. I'll send you a message with some idea's. Budget though is what it all comes down to.

Fish

• Thanks 1

Oh God I hadn’t thought of that!

I definitely don’t want everyone to give away their security details! 

Was more just looking for opinions on what are the best Brands in each category, what are people’s thoughts on each category etc.  (E.g. I’ve heard some people say grip locks aren’t worth it, and then other say they’re great!)

I use an Oxford Alpha XA14 alarmed disc lock with an Oxford Nemesis chain. The chain runs through the mains cable running into the house, be interesting to see them cut that.

As anyone will tell you no security measure will stop a determined thief but you can put them off and slow them down. 

The Nemesis is only used at home as it's too heavy to carry. But when on the move the lock off the Nemesis doubles as a second disc lock so it's quite a handy bit of kit.

But that's in a secure garage which is alarmed and covered by CCTV. Plus I have bees at home and they really discourage people wandering about where they shouldn't be. And the bike is alarmed. People often say alarms aren't much use as no-one pays any attention, but it helps at home of course and even at the station it will put some criminals off as it increases the chances of them being noticed.

Grips locks are easy to smash off to be worth bothering with. If you need a chain you can carry then it depends if you've got a top box or not. Try to lock both wheels and chain the bike to an immovable object at the station. Make sure chains aren't resting on the ground as that makes it easier to cut them.

Edited by Mississippi Bullfrog
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NE150N80 said:

Hi All. New to this wonderful world of biking and taking my CBT in a few weeks, but do want to start thinking about how I’m going to  protect my machine at home and at the station/work (when I eventually start commuting again).

I plan on installing a tracking system like BikeTrac etc. And then installing bike anchors at home with a decent chain and lock. Then thinking about adding disc locks and possibly grip locks.

So hoping to get some views on each of the following items:

Trackers:

Ground anchors:

Chains:

Chain Locks (for home and station):

Disc Locks:

Grip Locks:

And any other things that are worth thinking of :)

Thanks!

Firstly I thought this was going to be a discussion about a heavy handed bouncer on a long standing Australian soap opera.

Now that I've read what it actually is, these are my thoughts. 

Sold secure gold or diamond rating is a good place to start. Some insurance quotes will be lower when your security has this rating.

There's lots of ground anchors out there. Pragmasis or Almax are the big hitters when it comes to home security for anchors and BIG chains. Oxford beast stuff too. You want a chain to be tight and off the ground so get the shortest chain that's practical.

Disc locks are the next thing. You can get locks like an Oxford nemesis which is a U shape (basically a large padlock). You can get ones then that stick in to the holes in your brake disc. Just be careful to get one where the pin actually fits in the hole.

Having an alarm or an alarmed lock like a Oxford boss alarm is good to make noise. Or kovix make great stuff but they don't get them sold secure rated which I don't understand.

There's lots of trackers out there. Some are wired in. Some are battery powered so are easier to hide. Both have pros and cons. 

Out and about you could have a smallish 12mm thick chain like one from peweg at brindley chains. Light but strong. Used in conjunction with say an Oxford boss alarm and a disc lock. Just depends where you're parking and what you can carry. 

Grip locks add another level but are defeated in seconds. You'd be better buying a decent cover. Obviously parking in a garage or shed etc at home is best. 

I'm sure there's much more but that's what I found over my short level of experience. 

• Like 1

My alternative to carrying a large chain and padlock (only when touring) is to use one disc lock with alarm through the front disc and a Mul-T-lock padlock through the rear disc, a bike cover and bikes fitted with tracker. 

Ground Anchor, chains and padlocks, any of the sold secure ones within your budget. 

Grip locks in my opinion aren't worth a carrot. 

🙂 

• Like 1

If you have the possibility to get one of these:

https://www.dhgate.com/product/hd-720p-wifi-ip-camera-outdoor-1080p-wireless/401536164.html?d1_page_num=1&skuid=650508062448914436#s1-18-1;searl|1996413017:19

You can check on the phone and is a great deterrent. thieves won't be interested in having their faces on display

10 hours ago, husoi said:

If you have the possibility to get one of these:

https://www.dhgate.com/product/hd-720p-wifi-ip-camera-outdoor-1080p-wireless/401536164.html?d1_page_num=1&skuid=650508062448914436#s1-18-1;searl|1996413017:19

You can check on the phone and is a great deterrent. thieves won't be interested in having their faces on display

Hmm, one scrote in a balaclava looks pretty much like another. Not much face to be seen. 

Nosey farmer neighbours with loud barky dogs (and shotgun. I think he’s channeling Tony Martin).

They once checked with us whether we’d had a car with a horse box leave the premises at 4am. Nothing, but nothing gets past them.

Whatever you choose, check your insurance quotes with and without the security added. It sometimes makes no difference in price, and if something happens on the one time you don't chain it up, you're still covered if you didn't declare security items.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Shepherd said:

Whatever you choose, check your insurance quotes with and without the security added. It sometimes makes no difference in price, and if something happens on the one time you don't chain it up, you're still covered if you didn't declare security items.

This! 

Most of the time if you declare a garage and chained up then you have to use it all if the bike is within a certain distance from home 

6 hours ago, Stu said:

This! 

Most of the time if you declare a garage and chained up then you have to use it all if the bike is within a certain distance from home 

I always have my bike chained up properly at home and out. When I tried insurance quotes with and without locks and chains there wasn't a penny in the difference so I've got no security devices etc registered on my insurance. Just another way of insurance not paying out 

• Like 1

I find laying on my roof like this is a really good theft deterrent, 😆 ...... Seriously though I use ABUS alarmed disc lock and an Oxford revolver cable lock when away from home, using a cover and being mindful about where you park it is also a good idea.  At home the bike is garaged, I would recommend looking at Almax chains and ground anchors.  There are also some good trackers on the market but they can be expensive,  and IMHO, some of the cheaper ones are just as effective as the more expensive, factory installation and subscription jobbies.... 👍

1.jpg

I just use an alarmed disc lock and a chain when out and about.. Nothing fancy but then I only have cheap bikes.

Don't bother with a grip lock as they've got to be the most useless bit of kit ever invented! .. 

• Like 1

I’m under pressure to install CCTV “ to protect your bike and the campervan” ....

All i can think is really good pics of my bike and the van being stolen and the Plod saying ...”Are you insured “ .. then they go off to kneel somewhere and possibly beat up some middle class women ... because they can ... (other versions are available ...).

So no CCTV ....

10 hours ago, husoi said:

A few of these around the bike...

Explosive Nostalgia: Florida Woman's WWII Land Mine Find ...

Actually an Israeli origin anti-tank mine, widely exported ... i met these chaps on my tours in the Falklands in 82 and 83 ..... not as bad as the anti-personnel ones that blew across the sand .... never knew where they would turn up next .... well you did, well someone else did  ... sadly ...

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Trooper74 said:

I’m under pressure to install CCTV “ to protect your bike and the campervan” ....

All i can think is really good pics of my bike and the van being stolen and the Plod saying ...”Are you insured “ .. then they go off to kneel somewhere and possibly beat up some middle class women ... because they can ... (other versions are available ...).

So no CCTV ....

My experience with CCTV is that it works quite well. Half the problem for the police is that they can know who did it but without evidence the courts will throw it out, so they only take an interest when they think they can get a successful prosecution. If you can provide a picture of the thief caught in the act they tend to get very interested very quickly in my experience.

The villians also dislike CCTV. So much so that in my last place they hadn't spotted the camera until after they had tried (and failed) to gain access. They then decided to redouble their efforts in order to steal the evidence. So they broke into the room where the CCTV equipment was stored, nicked the monitor, and left the actual hard drive behind. This of course meant they filmed themselves doing the whole thing. Not only did they get done for that job, but having been caught they then owned up to a string of local break-ins. So it was a good result.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1