'Keyless Ride'

Joe85

Utterly f**king pointless addition to biking - Just rode 40 miles, pulled over and stopped the bike to check satnav only to be to greeted with a message on the dash stating: ‘key not detected, you will be unable to restart the bike’

Shit.

😬

Anyway, luckily had the GoPro on so , er, yeh... i left them on the dash and they flew off abut 8 miles down the M25 from Swanley. 😁 Even managed to retrieve the key after being dropped off home. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Joe85 said:
Utterly f**king pointless addition to biking - Just rode 40 miles, pulled over and stopped the bike to check satnav only to be to greeted with a message on the dash stating: ‘key not detected, you will be unable to restart the bike’

Shit.

😬

Anyway, luckily had the GoPro on so , er, yeh... i left them on the dash and they flew off abut 8 miles down the M25 from Swanley. 😁 Even managed to retrieve the key after being dropped off home. 

Yeah, heard about a guy who started his bike, decided he'd change to a cooler jacket, rode 60 miles and then found out he'd left his key in other jacket. Had to get wife to deliver it. Must admit I really don't see the point of keyless ignition on a bike, especially if you still need a key to open a petrol tank cap or operate panniers.

I can appreciate they can seem like a pointless addition but I found it very convenient with my scooter. It had a dial on the dash you could turn between power on*, fuel cap, storage compartment (and off/locked of course). Never needed to take the key out of my pocket, very handy for lots of short trips.

*you still had to press a starter button to turn the engine on.

I enjoy the keyless ride on my bike :?

My dash also tells me as soon as the key is out of range. 

I have made a point idiot checks to make sure the key is in my pocket. 

As for fuel cap that's keyless too 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Stu said:

I enjoy the keyless ride on my bike :?

My dash also tells me as soon as the key is out of range. 

I have made a point idiot checks to make sure the key is in my pocket. 

As for fuel cap that's keyless too 

Cannot believe the S1000R doesn’t tell you it’s out of range. Madness.

• Like 1

Anyway, here it is, if you fancy a laugh. 

Firstly, I can’t believe I never noticed it flapping around in front me, and secondly, I have no idea how I didn’t see it fly off. 😂

Edited by Joe85
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Joe85 said:

Anyway, here it is, if you fancy a laugh. 

Firstly, I can’t believe I never noticed it flapping around in front me, and secondly, I have no idea how I didn’t see it fly off. 😂

I'm amazed you got it back. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Pie man said:

You were very lucky to find it - how on earth did you do it. 

The sign in the picture above, you can see it on the vid a few seconds before the key falls: “M25 A 21.3” they’re all along the M25 and go up increments of 5 - 21.8, 22.3 etc. No idea what they’re actually for.

Anyway, I knew roughly where it dropped so went back, parked on the hard shoulder, crossed when it was clear and then meandered along the central reservation for 100m before finding it (risky, I know). 

Edited by Joe85
  • Like 2

What do driver location signs tell you?

Providing the details written on the sign nearest to the incident will make it quicker to get to you.

• The top line shows which road you’re on
  • The letter on the second line – A or B – tells us the direction you’re travelling in
  • The bottom line tells us how far you are from a given location
  • Thanks 4

22 hours ago, Stu said:

What do driver location signs tell you?

Providing the details written on the sign nearest to the incident will make it quicker to get to you.

• The top line shows which road you’re on
  • The letter on the second line – A or B – tells us the direction you’re travelling in
  • The bottom line tells us how far you are from a given location

And here's me trying to tune the car radio to the station 😂 - you never stop learning :thumb:

• Haha 2

On 30/09/2021 at 19:31, Bungleaio said:

I've seen people with their keys in the lock on the top box, we need a hand signal to let people know this.

I keep my keys on a lanyard around my neck so that I hopefully don't lose my keys.

Bet your mum tied your mittens to a long bit of string through your duffel coat when you were a kid then ?

I have to confess mine did lol.

Cheers

Ian