Burning cars in France as a nye tradition

Bender

The Wife's Mk2 Renault Megane gave us electrical gremlins for its entire life with us. Usual fault was the window motors would go loopy and wind windows down completely and then lock up so you couldn't get them back up.

Was around £200 per window to fix the issue so I got the drivers window sorted and disconnected the rest :lol:

The engine never gave any issues at least 

• Like 1

I had a Renault 5 campus on a K plate first car and was great inherited off parents gave us 11 years service sold it with 143k on the clock cheap reliable and easy to repair. I don't think modern Renaults are so reliable 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MikeHorton said:

I had a Renault 5 campus on a K plate first car and was great inherited off parents gave us 11 years service sold it with 143k on the clock cheap reliable and easy to repair. I don't think modern Renaults are so reliable 

I believe the motor trade refer to Renault as the Diamond of Doom.

In our last house we had an elderly neighbour who had a visitor the week before Christmas. Her Citroen broke down and the local dealer couldn't find out what was wrong with it.

On Christmas Eve she knocked on my door asking me to have a look. Otherwise her friend couldn't get home for Christmas.

It was obviously some kind of electrical issue and the inside of the engine bay was a mess. The exterior of the car was gleaming, but the underside and engine bay were wall to wall corrosion.

Working on the premises that it is a French car I thought to myself, " Where is the most stupid place to put a critical bit of electrical engineering?"

Down low at the front, where it gets the most water was my conclusion.

Sure enough, right at the front, bolted to the lower part of the inner wing, was a control module.

I took it out, dried it with a warm air blower, applied a liberal dose of WD40, and it fired up first time.

It is possible that the French set fire to their cars on NYE for similar reasons. 

• Haha 5

38 minutes ago, DR1 said:

Where shall we start on the catastrophe of errors found on the vehicles that used to roll on the production lines in the U.K.? 

‘Cos a bit of self-flagellation is good for the soul?

48 minutes ago, DR1 said:

Where shall we start on the catastrophe of errors found on the vehicles that used to roll on the production lines in the U.K.? 

It’s a fair point. I had a Mini Metro that set fire to itself. On reflection it was probably for the best. 

19 minutes ago, rob m said:

It’s a fair point. I had a Mini Metro that set fire to itself. On reflection it was probably for the best. 

I was trying to think of the French cars that had featured in my life and I’d forgotten about my 2CV. It was the setting fire to itself that reminded me. 

• Haha 1

Had a Citroën BX once which was so slow but was more or less reliable. Learnt to drive on my Dad's DS21 and that wasn't a bad car for its time. Apart from having all its controls in weird places so it took a while to adapt to a "normal" car.

Most unreliable car we ever owned was a BMW.

Edited by S-Westerly

I learned to drive in a Citröen GS, that was a lovely car, my parents had two of them and we did a lot of European trips in them. They later had a Peugeot 1.6 GTi which was simply brilliant and I later had a Peugeot 405 which also impressed me. Along the way the family also had 2CVs, à Renault 5 and a Renault 11. The Renault 11 was solid but soulless. That’s probably not a crime, most people drive boring cars. The good French cars were good but, GTI apart, we’re not as memorable as those from Italy. Despite living in Germany since 1986 I bought my first German car in 2003, an Audi A4 Cabriolet 2.5 TDI V6. I hated it. The German car I replaced it with was so much better as was the German hot hatch that has been my everyday car since 2006. These days it’s hard to find a bad car, bland? Possibly. Boring? Quite likely but most do their job really well. My next car will quite likely be French and it will be electric. if I had to buy one tomorrow there are only three on the shortlist, a VW ID3, a Renault Zoe or a Peugeot 208. The VW looks a bit bland and boring to me, the Zoe is a great package that meets my needs but I would probably go for the Peugeot, it’s not perfect but that’s where I would spend my money. 

Edited by DR1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, DR1 said:

I learned to drive in a Citröen GS, that was a lovely car, my parents had two of them and we did a lot of European trips in them. They later had a Peugeot 1.6 GTi which was simply brilliant and I later had a Peugeot 405 which also impressed me. Along the way the family also had 2CVs, à Renault 5 and a Renault 11. The Renault 11 was solid but soulless. That’s probably not a crime, most people drive boring cars. The good French cars were good but, GTI apart, we’re not as memorable as those from Italy. Despite living in Germany since 1986 I bought my first German car in 2003, an Audi A4 Cabriolet 2.5 TDI V6. I hated it. The German car I replaced it with was so much better as was the German hot hatch that has been my everyday car since 2006. These days it’s hard to find a bad car, bland? Possibly. Boring? Quite likely but most do their job really well. My next car will quite likely be French and it will be electric. if I had to buy one tomorrow there are only three on the shortlist, a VW ID3, a Renault Zoe or a Peugeot 208. The VW looks a bit bland and boring to me, the Zoe is a great package that meets my needs but I would probably go for the Peugeot, it’s not perfect but that’s where I would spend my money. 

A Renault zoe, interesting choice, motorbike might be safer

I guess you could colour in a couple of stars waiting for it to charge/catch fire 😂 

Screenshot_20220102-104543~2.png

1 hour ago, MikeHorton said:

Here's a new chinese contender lots are raving about I dunno if this will blow up! 

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/electric-cars/355921/chinese-made-ora-cat-01-electric-car-set-uk-launch

I'm not buying anything made in China on principal if I can possibly avoid it. Difficult but when it comes to vehicles easy enough.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bender said:

A Renault zoe, interesting choice, motorbike might be safer

I guess you could colour in a couple of stars waiting for it to charge/catch fire 😂 

Screenshot_20220102-104543~2.png

I suggest you have a history lesson. 

5 hours ago, DR1 said:

Gay

• Haha 1