Highway Code changes & motorcyclists

Throttled

This could be the solution to prevent Russia Invading the Ukraine. If Ukraine adopts a similar law I think a Russian Amata tank would struggle to pass  safely by a gaggle of cyclists or horses. Final defence a solitary padestrian crossing on a junction! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, MikeHorton said:

This could be the solution to prevent Russia Invading the Ukraine. If Ukraine adopts a similar law I think a Russian Amata tank would struggle to pass  safely by a gaggle of cyclists or horses. Final defence a solitary padestrian crossing on a junction! 

It's been done before, remember guy with shopping bag stopping tank, imagine if had a bike too. 

• Like 2

As equal road users cyclists should have insurance and a number plate for red light infractions.

Not really the argument though, but keep the hate going. Its impressive.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blackholesun said:

Can't see much changing unless that cycling Mikey comes looking for us 

Hi.

I've watched some his video's. He seems to be a decent bloke with strong ideas about fair play on the roads. But as we say in Whitby, he sails a bit close to the wind.

It's his camera and reputation I think that's saved him from receiving a load of violence.

On 01/02/2022 at 09:41, Granty said:

Hi.

I've watched some his video's. He seems to be a decent bloke with strong ideas about fair play on the roads. But as we say in Whitby, he sails a bit close to the wind.

It's his camera and reputation I think that's saved him from receiving a load of violence.

I just find he goes looking for people and is a bit of a vigilante

On 01/02/2022 at 08:26, Pbassred said:

Not really the argument though, but keep the hate going. Its impressive.

It's not hate though it's a mix of resentment and annoyance, it's the whole untraceable un accountability bit, I have reported a local cyclist who is a complete twat directly to police sat in a car, apparently doing a wheelie down the middle of the road on a pushbike and riding on the wrong side of the road into on coming traffic is fine. 

As is another who thinks straight through a red light is fine as it obviously not ment for him, as does the next set of lights where there is a big cyclists box for him to sit safely, does he use it nope straight through red straight ahead in a left only lane, it's twats like that give cyclists a bad rep, I put hand on horn and all you get from him is a nice wave, I imagine should I close pass him though I will be on YouTube as twaty van driver before I can stop. 

Council have cameras on the road, it's a joke. 

• Like 1

Exactly as Bender says. WTF do these guys think it's okay to sail through a red light? It isn't and they should be punished appropriately for it. Their bikes should be licenced same as motorised vehicles. 

• Like 1

Whilst I entirely agree that bad cyclists should be dealt with by the law the reality is that if you ride legally then you put yourself at risk from motorists. So for the cyclist it's a no win situation. I got back into riding motorcycles simply because I was fed up of motorists knocking me off my bike when I was riding according to the law. Most of the time I was stationary at traffic lights or roundabouts. The final straw was when I approached a roundabout and stopped. A few seconds later a car came up behind me, the driver watching the traffic on the roundabout, and crushed me against the kerb. 

The time before that I was in a cycle box at lights when the car behind failed to stop at the first line and came into the box hitting the back of my bike. 

In both situations if I'd run the red light or skirted the roundabout by riding on the pavement I'd have been safer.

Cyclists do their own thing because many of them have got fed up of being knocked off, run into or cut up by car drivers. Which is no excuse for the lycra brigade who deliberately block the entire road when there is no need to.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Whilst I entirely agree that bad cyclists should be dealt with by the law the reality is that if you ride legally then you put yourself at risk from motorists. So for the cyclist it's a no win situation. I got back into riding motorcycles simply because I was fed up of motorists knocking me off my bike when I was riding according to the law. Most of the time I was stationary at traffic lights or roundabouts. The final straw was when I approached a roundabout and stopped. A few seconds later a car came up behind me, the driver watching the traffic on the roundabout, and crushed me against the kerb. 

The time before that I was in a cycle box at lights when the car behind failed to stop at the first line and came into the box hitting the back of my bike. 

In both situations if I'd run the red light or skirted the roundabout by riding on the pavement I'd have been safer.

Cyclists do their own thing because many of them have got fed up of being knocked off, run into or cut up by car drivers. Which is no excuse for the lycra brigade who deliberately block the entire road when there is no need to.

They should be prosecuted too, I've not hit a single cyclist, yet but I can see it coming. 

2 hours ago, Bender said:

They should be prosecuted too, I've not hit a single cyclist, yet but I can see it coming. 

One trick round here is pulling out of side roads, and joining the flow of traffic.   When it’s travelling at 40mph, historically I saw it as there choice if I passed a little close as they pulled out in front of me…

Now you have to treat them like a car it’s emergency braking down to 10 mph. If it was a car that pulled out like that you could send footage and report them, what is anyone going to do with a cyclist being an idiot?  

I suppose I could post it online to be advised by countless cyclists that it’s fine I did not hit them or it would be my fault… 

I agree with @Mississippi Bullfrog I won’t ride a push bike 1.5 miles to work because of the cars and roads.  

• Like 1

I've had just that happen and it almost ended in me hitting him and It wasn't with the van, what an absolute self righteous prick he was, left no gap what so ever.

Ive increasingly had hgv do this in outside lane on a1 which is much more dangerous, just use overtake lane as filter for pulling out from central reservation. 

• Sad 1

These guys are quite literally riding for a fall. These new rules don't give them some magic cloak of invincibility whatever they might think. In the event of a collision with something bigger there's only going to be one winner. I suppose their next of kin might benefit from the insurance pay out.

• Like 1

It's just a shame nobody has respect for others. It's like holding a door open takes no time really or effort but just shows a bit of respect. Roads are dangerous places everyone just needs to chill out. Any road user should pull over a little to let faster vehicles pass and the faster vehicle needs to read the road give others space and only pass where safe. I don't like the loony extreme elements of any road user it's a shared space. Cyclists that don't let others pass beware if you suffer an rtc you need to hope the 4 wheeled ambulance coming to your aid isn't held up by another bunch of cyclists. Roads seem to be a vent off for peoples frustrations or short comings. Don't use the roads if your angry take a breath and relax. I avoid rush hour and school run times people are in auto pilot mode, not thinking about hazards. 

• Like 2

It's not just the lycra brigade who block the road. Tesla drivers seem to be evolving into a breed of their own. Riding towards Chester this morning I was passing a long line of traffic doing 50 in a NSL single carriageway, it's a wide road so there's loads of room for bikes to filter past. 

Every single Tesla was sat out from the line driving with the offside wheels on the central lane markers. They couldn't get past so it's not as if they were waiting for an opportunity to overtake. It's a solid stream of traffic for a good couple of miles.

Unless it's the weekend MAMILS who all drive Tesla's to work?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

When are they going to enforce having lights on a bike, especially at night, and I've yet to have a cyclist give me room or using a bell on the pavement when I walk anywhere. 

I think tweedle dee and tweedle dum thought up the new code