New 'hierarchy' on the road

Breezin

22 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

I was in London just before Christmas with my grandsons and we stepped into the road at a pedestrian crossing with a green light for us and a cyclist missed us by inches going through a red light. As my eldest grandson said "that was a very rude man!"

that's a very polite young man

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Happens round here all the time. Country lanes where cars slow down to pass each other in opposite directions as the road is barely wide enough for two vehicles abreast. Cyclists in a pack take up more than half the road and often refuse to move over leaving frustrated drivers stuck behind them often for some considerable time. Not so bad on a bike as you can usually get past. I'm waiting for the day someone comes round a blind corner at a decent speed and finds a pack of cyclists on the wrong side of the road. Who's going to be blamed then? One reason I am seriously considering a road cam for the car.

2 minutes ago, husoi said:

Aren't the wencklysts supposed to be inline and not on a pub gathering like ride? 🤔

Not anymore.  The latest rules have them allowed to pretend to be tour de France riders all the time.

I cycle about a hundred miles a week around the lanes in North Yorkshire. On my own. This is the thing. If you cycle at the near side  then vehicles tend not to even pull out to avoid you. You can really get pushed into the gutter. So I think there is sense in advising cyclists to adopt a strong position in their lane. I tend to cycle in the middle of my lane if there are no vehicles around. And if one is behind me I move a bit nearer the verge. Probably about a metre from the verge. And as I understand it that’s pretty much what the advice is. 

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Davidtav said:

I cycle about a hundred miles a week around the lanes in North Yorkshire. On my own. This is the thing. If you cycle at the near side  then vehicles tend not to even pull out to avoid you. You can really get pushed into the gutter. So I think there is sense in advising cyclists to adopt a strong position in their lane. I tend to cycle in the middle of my lane if there are no vehicles around. And if one is behind me I move a bit nearer the verge. Probably about a metre from the verge. And as I understand it that’s pretty much what the advice is. 

And that's fine, no traffic you can cycle where you want, it's the being courteous bit that's the key, you are I've seen groups 2 abreast for miles with no thought of anyone else not even going uphill with speed reduced to prob single digits. 

• Like 1

I strongly defend that everybody is entitled to their space on the road and if I come to a cyclist I will make sure I do the right thing.

Don't understand why they will ride 3 in parallel on A roads preventing overtaking when cars are coming on the other side.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Davidtav said:

I agree with that and the fact nearsides of a lot of country roads have really poor surfaces. I thinks its just about mutual conderation bit like slow farm traffic where they pull over every now and again to let others pass. Two cyclists did it for me the other day as I'd followed and not tried to overtake where not really safe. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, husoi said:

I strongly defend that everybody is entitled to their space on the road and if I come to a cyclist I will make sure I do the right thing.

Don't understand why they will ride 3 in parallel on A roads preventing overtaking when cars are coming on the other side.

Yes I don't get that either just file in a little. Bit like when someone is up my arse on the motorbike I just wave them past and tuck in a bit. Reduces any driving stress etc. Plus i can normally smugly filter past them at the next bit of slow moving traffic. Joking aside I do what I can to make driving less stressful 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, S-Westerly said:

I'm in London now and needing CPR after being presented with a bill for £24 for 2 coffees and 2 pcs of very nice chocolate brownie.

I hope they at least had the decency to dress as a highwayman whilst they robbed you. I find that standards are slipping amongst the criminal fraternity these days. 

2 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

I'm in London now and needing CPR after being presented with a bill for £24 for 2 coffees and 2 pcs of very nice chocolate brownie.

I've just got back from the local where the Mrs and I both had fish and chips, lemon meringue pie, a pint of Stella and a glass of wine all for £28 .. I think you have just been mugged! 

Edited by KiwiBob

5 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

Look at the bigger picture. I expect you’re taking wife or girlfriend for a nice weekend?  They will love it. Money well spent

24 minutes ago, Davidtav said:

Look at the bigger picture. I expect you’re taking wife or girlfriend for a nice weekend?  They will love it. Money well spent

I would guess it would be one or the other, taking wife and girlfriend would definitely not be a good idea 😁 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I hope they at least had the decency to dress as a highwayman whilst they robbed you. I find that standards are slipping amongst the criminal fraternity these days. 

yep even Dick Turpin had the decency to wear a mask

1 hour ago, S-Westerly said:

Covent Garden eateries assume you work for merchant banks I think. Sadly I do not.

No no no.... Covent Garden is to mug the tourists.... Canary Wharf is for the (w)bankers ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1