New 'hierarchy' on the road

Breezin

4 hours ago, Davidtav said:

Look at the bigger picture. I expect you’re taking wife or girlfriend for a nice weekend?  They will love it. Money well spent

Tis my wife's birthday. She's set the agenda which included walking 10 bloody miles. Tomorrow is culture day and more miles. Gives me the chance to see if cyclists have got the message about priority to pedestrians. The evidence would seem to indicate they haven't. Fortunately I have reasonably good reflexes still!

Edited by S-Westerly
  • Haha 3

Got stuck in a long stretch of cars this morning, all doing just a tad more than walking pace. All because half a dozen middle aged, overweight and unfit lycra clad tossers were struggling to get up a slight incline, and all except 1 were in middle of the lane. Whoever thought up the new rules needs lynching. It may have helped if they actually selected the right gear ratio so they weren't peddling furiously but getting nowhere fast

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On my 1 hour walk around Coventry streets today, it would seem that either none of the drivers are taking any notice of the new rules or they are ingnorant of them.

5 times in that hour I would have been strawberry jam if I’d stepped off the kerb when it was my right of way including one stream of 5 cars turning into the road I was trying to cross - there could be no doubt that I was trying to cross as I was in the centre refuge.

Wonder how long it will take to sink in?

Edited by Mickly
  • Like 1

The interest will come more if than when a cyclist hits a pedestrian! There have been various cases over the years when this has happened, and other than the very odd occasion the cyclist cannot be traced. :(

Walking along a fairly quiet road today (footpath on both sides 20mph limit) people at the kerb waiting to cross. Oncoming car hit the brakes to let them cross. No other cars for over 100 yards. I saw this twice in a few minutes. 

I'm pretty sure this is wrong by the drivers.  If you're in a car turning into a road you've to let people by but not if they just decide to cross the main road. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, daveinlim said:

Walking along a fairly quiet road today (footpath on both sides 20mph limit) people at the kerb waiting to cross. Oncoming car hit the brakes to let them cross. No other cars for over 100 yards. I saw this twice in a few minutes. 

I'm pretty sure this is wrong by the drivers.  If you're in a car turning into a road you've to let people by but not if they just decide to cross the main road. 

Confusion is the new certainty 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Bender said:

Confusion is the new certainty 

That it is.

Today I let a lady cross with her dog as she was waiting at the junction.

1) She was so shocked I had to wait and coax her across,

2) One of the group of motorbikes behind nearly rear ended me,

Surprisingly for a Sunday in the forest I did not see a single cyclist on the road...

• Like 2

So what are you meant to do now when you meet a pedestrian on a country lane? Most people I came across this morning scuttled into the hedgerow, and I went slowly past - this is what would have happened last week as well. But one chap stood still on the tarmac with his dogs sat next to him, which meant it wasn't safe for me to continue, so I stopped and had him and his dogs thread their way between the car and the hedge. Road was only about 5 foot wide.

image.thumb.png.bf71cfbad2938c8993bf534a559ae887.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bonio said:

So what are you meant to do now when you meet a pedestrian on a country lane? Most people I came across this morning scuttled into the hedgerow, and I went slowly past - this is what would have happened last week as well. But one chap stood still on the tarmac with his dogs sat next to him, which meant it wasn't safe for me to continue, so I stopped and had him and his dogs thread their way between the car and the hedge. Road was only about 5 foot wide.

At least it was not a cyclist or I am guessing your meant to move your car 2m into the hedge to let them past….

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, bonio said:

It's always been a question of common courtesy. Pedestrians may be able to find an area where they can step off the carriageway in which case the motorist can proceed slowly, but if not the motorist can stop and allow the pedestrian to pass with care. 

Any encounter with animals in a tight space means it's usually safer for everyone if the vehicle stops.

Living on a rural lane where sections have no pavement or verge means we have to walk in the road. It's amazing how many drivers fail to slow down and pass close by at speed secure in their sense of entitlement to the road.

On a ride recently we were on a narrow lane when an oncoming car just kept going for ING us into the soft verge. The new rules at least mean that a motorcycle stands more chance in such circumstances.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

It's always been a question of common courtesy. Pedestrians may be able to find an area where they can step off the carriageway in which case the motorist can proceed slowly, but if not the motorist can stop and allow the pedestrian to pass with care. 

Any encounter with animals in a tight space means it's usually safer for everyone if the vehicle stops.

Living on a rural lane where sections have no pavement or verge means we have to walk in the road. It's amazing how many drivers fail to slow down and pass close by at speed secure in their sense of entitlement to the road.

On a ride recently we were on a narrow lane when an oncoming car just kept going for ING us into the soft verge. The new rules at least mean that a motorcycle stands more chance in such circumstances.

I got forced into a dry stone wall last year by a dreaded white van. 

• Sad 2

22 hours ago, billy sugger said:

Got stuck in a long stretch of cars this morning, all doing just a tad more than walking pace. All because half a dozen middle aged, overweight and unfit lycra clad tossers were struggling to get up a slight incline, and all except 1 were in middle of the lane. Whoever thought up the new rules needs lynching. It may have helped if they actually selected the right gear ratio so they weren't peddling furiously but getting nowhere fast

Made me giggle more than it should have.