Cost of living crisis

Bender

6 hours ago, Bender said:

France is going to start up all its nuclear reactors

I read something recently indicating a lot (like 50%) of France’s reactors have problems with earlier than expected corrosion. 

3 minutes ago, Essem said:

Historically, India buys much of their weapons tech from Russia

Yes it will be Interesting to see how that changes. I believe India are on some form of exercises with Russian and some far Eastern nations including China which is interesting as China and I dia don't really get on. I would imagine China will start buying more French hardware 

Hopefully this will help out. Full details to be announced on Thursday.

https://news.sky.com/story/cost-of-living-truss-putting-finishing-touches-on-plan-to-freeze-energy-prices-and-pay-back-difference-over-decades-12691063

For those who can't be bothered clicking, in a nutshell energy prices won't be going up in October as Government is stepping in

1 hour ago, Tiggie said:

Hopefully this will help out. Full details to be announced on Thursday.

https://news.sky.com/story/cost-of-living-truss-putting-finishing-touches-on-plan-to-freeze-energy-prices-and-pay-back-difference-over-decades-12691063

For those who can't be bothered clicking, in a nutshell energy prices won't be going up in October as Government is stepping in

Which is code for, the government are going to give the energy companies a shed-load of cash. which is the sort of thing tory members love. which will keep the cost of energy where it is now for the foreseeable. for everyone. doesn't matter if you're on the minimum wage or earn in one day what most of us earn in a month. you'll get this reduction. And you'll be paying for it in increased fuel bills for the next 10-20 years. Which will have the biggest impact on the low paid. (who cares about them) and zero impact on the wealthy. (who they care about a lot)

More profits for the power companies... which they desperately need. (obviously)

18 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

This is what happens when you flog the family silver. A bit further down the line you end up borrowing to keep the lights on.

Meanwhile those who bought the family silver did very well out of it and are doing even better now.

Are you referring to Gordon Brown? That was in 1999.  23 years ago. 

The current government have been in power for 12 years, long enough to sort out all of the issues that were apparently caused by the previous government but they haven't and have ruined this country. 12 years. That's even longer than Thatcher's reign of terror. 

I laughed at Cleverley's interview on radio yesterday claiming that the current energy crisis is down to Nick Clegg. They have to blame somebody for all of their f**k ups and delve further down the barrel to do so. 

12 years is enough to take ownership and responsibility over your monumental mistakes and the current state of the country. They won't of course. Truss is a sacrificial lamb, a scapegoat to say that when everything implodes, it was all her fault.

35 minutes ago, rob m said:

The current government have been in power for 12 years, long enough to sort out all of the issues that were apparently caused by the previous government but they haven't and have ruined this country. 12 years. That's even longer than Thatcher's reign of terror. 

I laughed at Cleverley's interview on radio yesterday claiming that the current energy crisis is down to Nick Clegg. They have to blame somebody for all of their f**k ups and delve further down the barrel to do so. 

12 years is enough to take ownership and responsibility over your monumental mistakes and the current state of the country. They won't of course. Truss is a sacrificial lamb, a scapegoat to say that when everything implodes, it was all her fault.

It was Thatcher who flogged off the public utilities into private ownership. I think gas went in 1986. I said then that if things went south in terms of energy supply we'd be hoisted over a barrel. 

38 minutes ago, rob m said:

They can just leave a note saying sorry no money left, you know like Labour did 👍 

I think Labour and conservatives have been systematically incompetent. The thing is you can run a country balls it up and just walk away scott free. They insist most public sectors they control are tightly regulated meddle with how they are run but seem to be all pretty blameless and unaccountable themselves quite clever really. You can be done for corporate homicide and go to prison lead a nation into various tin pot wars on a whim or balls up an economy and lie abput brexit and just walk away how does that work? Long and short of it is left or right they will look after themselves before us. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MikeHorton said:

I think Labour and conservatives have been systematically incompetent. The thing is you can run a country balls it up and just walk away scott free. They insist most public sectors they control are tightly regulated meddle with how they are run but seem to be all pretty blameless and unaccountable themselves quite clever really. You can be done for corporate homicide and go to prison lead a nation into various tin pot wars on a whim or balls up an economy and lie abput brexit and just walk away how does that work? Long and short of it is left or right they will look after themselves before us. 

Nice pension at the end of it so win win 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, Bianco2564 said:

Just got an e-mail from Bulb saying our payments are going down, from £170 to £145.

We are £420 in credit so enough of a buffer if they've got their sums wrong.

I just got an email from Shell telling me to put ours up, and we're nearly £800 in credit!

I'm already paying £250 a month. Their annual prediction reckons it needs to be £310. A year ago it was £110.

35 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I just got an email from Shell telling me to put ours up, and we're nearly £800 in credit!

I'm already paying £250 a month. Their annual prediction reckons it needs to be £310. A year ago it was £110.

Is it because Bulb is in special administration and not making a profit?

Had to put ours on to "away on holiday" a couple of days ago as one of the bedrooms had got down to 13C. Still managing to hold off turning it on to full blast.

• Like 1

Ours is off and is staying off for the time being. My study is at 13 degrees but I'm wearing thermally lined trousers, a fleece and one of my many buffs. It's amazing how much warmer you feel if your neck is kept warm. 

The only issue is I find using the keyboard cumbersome with cold hands. 

Not had the heating on yet … Missus Mickly had the gas fire on in the front room for an hour last night for the 1st time this autumn but confessed that she was getting too warm as she had a cat stretched out on her lap & it got turned off.

Need to have a word with the cats and get them to take turns in ensuring their Mummy is kept warm enough to keep the fire off 😁

• Like 1