Cost of living crisis

Bender

Colleague at work has her combined tariff coming to an end, and she's told me her £50 a month combined usage is rising to about £190. She can't find a tariff that is competitive. 

My current tariff ends in June, I pay about the same for my flat, and when I looked all the prices were £200 a month. I'm going to have to go on a cheap electricity tariff with night time low prices, and put 4 or 5 big electric radiators in. 

• Sad 1

Ive been offered a 12/24 month fixed plan, and have until the end of this month to make a decision. I currently pay £48 and this will rise to £79 for both plans. If I do nothing then it will become variable starting at £43. but that will rise when the new price cap comes into force. I'll probably go for the fix.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

Ive been offered a 12/24 month fixed plan, and have until the end of this month to make a decision. I currently pay £48 and this will rise to £79 for both plans. If I do nothing then it will become variable starting at £43. but that will rise when the new price cap comes into force. I'll probably go for the fix.

Way things are and way things are heading I would go for fix, you can budget around it once you know the cost. 

Been thinking about this...

A fixed rate makes sense when prices are rising, like now. In this case, it means means paying above the flexible rate at the start, with the idea that you'll be paying under the flexible rate by the end of the term.

Seems to me it's a good idea to get a fixed in Spring, since your first 6 months - when you're likely to be paying over the odds - are low usage. And the next six months - when you're reaping the benefit of the fixed rate - are high usage. 

I might start looking for some fixed rate deals this evening...

I would avoid a fix at this stage as the prices quoted are guaranteed not to do the consumer any favours.

Our estimate from April is £3500 annually, or just under £300 a month. That about 18% of my income gone on heating costs. 

And I suspect that will increase come October. 

2 hours ago, Gerontious said:

That's your monthly quote but if you use more gas/electricity than they estimate you still need to pay more on top of your monthly bill. 

We were with one of the suppliers that recently went bust and were transferred to another provider. They estimated total of £75 pm for gas & electric.

We were paying our monthly DD but noticed after a while we were £200 behind. 

Keep an eye on the charge per unit not just the monthly estimate.

We are on a fixed rate for 2 years from last September so are reasonably set until 2023. My parents though are getting screwed. Their supplier went bust then the ended up with EDF and paying more than double what they were paying.  I've no idea what it will be come April. They just have a small flat but still.....

2 hours ago, bonio said:

Been thinking about this...

A fixed rate makes sense when prices are rising, like now. In this case, it means means paying above the flexible rate at the start, with the idea that you'll be paying under the flexible rate by the end of the term.

Seems to me it's a good idea to get a fixed in Spring, since your first 6 months - when you're likely to be paying over the odds - are low usage. And the next six months - when you're reaping the benefit of the fixed rate - are high usage. 

I might start looking for some fixed rate deals this evening...

It's not easy getting prices. Had a look at a few suppliers last night, none of which published prices, just a message to stay with your current supplier, you'd have to phone up if you wanted more info.

2 hours ago, daveinlim said:

That's your monthly quote but if you use more gas/electricity than they estimate you still need to pay more on top of your monthly bill. 

That’s how it’s always been.

We are on variable, every time we look for fixed and price it up it doubles our bill…. 
We use 1/3 less fuel than they estimate which stuffs up the calculations..

Just pleased my misses changed jobs and works 7 miles away not nearly 30..

• Like 1

Watched the Martin Lewis show & found out that our standing charges have doubled to pay for all the suppliers that have gone bust due to them offering low fixed rates to attract customers while not paying to hedge potential rises in wholesale prices.

i.e. we’re all paying now for those who have had cheap energy in the past .. f*ckin piss take - it’s wound me right up

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Gerontious said:

Our current standing charge is £15 per month.

To only use £48 worth of energy a month I'd have to switch the heating off and live in the dark.

We were paying Bulb £105 per month, this went up last October to £157 and in April will be £205.

Edited by Bianco2564

We're lucky we are locked in till next year with one of the bigger ones so hopefully they won't go tits up, going to be one hell of a jump if things don't calm down. 

In line with the price of cars my 18month old van with 35k on the clock is worth 2k more than I paid for it. Great if I could retire tmrw, but I can't. 

8 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

Fuel oil bunkers for ships were $500 per tonne in November they are now over a $1000. We use between 35 and 50 tonnes a day. Glad I don't actually own a ship!

Since we live on an island that relies on shipping and seafarers for the vast majority of things I guess the rising cost of running ships is going to affect the price of the goods we need. 

• Like 1

There is an element of profiteering going on with petrol prices. Our local Shell garage was £1.55 on Tuesday morning. They had a delivery on Tuesday and the price went up to £1.57.

Ok, so the new tanker of fuel was more expensive.

But on Wednesday they went up to £1.60, no new delivery, selling the same fuel as delivered which was previously sold at £1.57. 

They're just using the opportunity to milk the motorist which in the light of what is happening is pretty cynical.

• Like 3