Digital Voice switchover

Mississippi Bullfrog

Does anyone know anything about the change to how the phone system works? We are with BT and today went over to Digital Voice. I have connected the phone to the router and reprogrammed all the stored numbers so they include the area code, same as using a mobile phone. I can dial the numbers manually but if I dial from the stored memory every number comes up as not recognized.

Our cordless handset system is quite old, probably ten years at least. I can't see why I can dial a number manually and it goes through but if I dial the same number from the memory it isn't recognised.

Belay that - it's just started working as it should. Literally just as I'd finished typing the above.

Edited by Mississippi Bullfrog

Guess we should turn this into a biscuits thread then :lol:

I'm on dark chocolate digestives. I find I don't eat the full pack in one go unlike the milk chocolate variety.

Bonus being I'm only person in house who likes them :mrgreen:

McVities Digestives. The only biscuit that’s never not in the cupboard. 

Jaffa Cakes don’t go in the cupboard due to being consumed after checkout. Assuming we all class it as a biscuit and not a cake?! 

Depends on location and reason….
Hob knobs no good when sailing cause of crumbs, ginger nuts preferred.  Also taste better if left for day or 2,

Chocolate is out if weather hot or long journey/ camping or sailing on hot day it melts. So out and about it’s nice, shortbread (although these can break to easily).

If supplying to work cheap biscuits cause if you buy good the first 3 people eat them all and no one sees the rest, cheap last longer.

If to eat home a good selection box not of any one type…

On 29/03/2022 at 18:32, Troy said:

McVities Digestives. The only biscuit that’s never not in the cupboard. 

Jaffa Cakes don’t go in the cupboard due to being consumed after checkout. Assuming we all class it as a biscuit and not a cake?! 

Jaffa cakes - good for dipping in your Southern Comfort.....

14 hours ago, GdV said:

Jaffa cakes - good for dipping in your Southern Comfort.....

eh! you do what!! 

Alcohol doesn't last long enough to do that :lol: 

• Haha 1

Just to insert a modicum of sanity into things - as we live in a rural area with no mobile signal we are now without a phone connection once the power is off, which happens quite a lot round here. So BT were meant to ring me today to discuss providing an aux power supply to keep the router live during a power failure - except our power went off so I have no idea if they rang me or not.

And in answer to @Troy Jaffa cakes are technically cakes as the distinction between cakes and biscuits is simple. A cake goes harder when it is stale. A biscuit goes softer when it is stale. Therefore Jaffa cakes are most definitely cakes. However anyone who allows a Jaffa cake to go stale is a creature spawned in the depths of hell who has no business being anywhere near either Jaffa cakes or Jammy Dodgers. They belong to the realm of fig rolls.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

They belong to the realm of fig rolls.

Fig rolls, biscuit? Not certain I would call them that.  However they are good, travelling food/ snacks.  Generally don’t crumble or brake up…

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Just to insert a modicum of sanity into things - as we live in a rural area with no mobile signal we are now without a phone connection once the power is off, which happens quite a lot round here. So BT were meant to ring me today to discuss providing an aux power supply to keep the router live during a power failure - except our power went off so I have no idea if they rang me or not.

And in answer to @Troy Jaffa cakes are technically cakes as the distinction between cakes and biscuits is simple. A cake goes harder when it is stale. A biscuit goes softer when it is stale. Therefore Jaffa cakes are most definitely cakes. However anyone who allows a Jaffa cake to go stale is a creature spawned in the depths of hell who has no business being anywhere near either Jaffa cakes or Jammy Dodgers. They belong to the realm of fig rolls.

You just need a small ups it's probably easier to just get your own

This is going to be the big problem as the government want to stop using copper wire for phone lines and change over to voip instead except those that do not have internet access will be left without a phone line. An even bigger problem is the many hundreds of thousands that have the lifeline emergency system that rely on a phone line to work and as you have found out no power means no internet access so no voip phone network.  

49 minutes ago, onesea said:

Fig rolls, biscuit? Not certain I would call them that.  However they are good, travelling food/ snacks.  Generally don’t crumble or brake up…

Fig rolls are the Devil's faecal matter.

24 minutes ago, Bender said:

You just need a small ups it's probably easier to just get your own

Alll the UPS I've found have a kettle type socket which won't connect to the power adapter the router uses. BT say they will provide one so I'm quite happy to take them up on that.

32 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Alll the UPS I've found have a kettle type socket which won't connect to the power adapter the router uses. BT say they will provide one so I'm quite happy to take them up on that.

You just buy one with standard socket, power goes off it kicks in with its own little inverter and battery, you can buy specific router ups but if they are sending you one for free 😁 

On 02/04/2022 at 19:41, Bender said:

You just buy one with standard socket, power goes off it kicks in with its own little inverter and battery, you can buy specific router ups but if they are sending you one for free 😁 

Apparently BT don't have any available. So I asked if one can be sent when they are available. No. Do I need to keep ringing back to see when they are available. No. 

So how do I get one? Don't know.

Hopeless. I think I'll need to find something myself.

Plus, half the time I make a call it says 'Number not recognised'. Press redial and it goes straight through. 

I'm not thinking this new system is much by way of progress. Our old copper wire running across the fields on poles to the box half a mile up the hill might have been dodge but it worked much better.

• Like 2

Remember the hype around the coming of DTV? It was going to be great, etc, but look at the reality. Get bad weather and the signal is buggered and the picture breaks up. I have a digibox, along with a DTV with built in tuner, So I can record one channel while watching another, rare these days but just in case. Anyway what's the point of a box that needs to update itself every night at 3am, regardless of whether you are using it, and throws a wobbly if it does not update, just displays a spinning disc thing. They also keep buggering about with the channels, mainly due to the government reselling the frequencies off for 5G,etc, after auctioning them off to the mobile phone network in the first place. God knows how many channels I have taken up by all the late night "adult" crap, though the digital radio is handy. 

PS don't set your watch via the pips from radio one on digital, it's 3 seconds out to analogue radio due to conversion of analogue to digital and back when you receive it

• Like 1