What am i missing for a French trip..

jones9999

Off on the 17th June for a week around France and down to La Rochelle just to escape uk roads for a bit.

Done it for years but, after covid and brexit..

Is there any thing i am missing before i pull up to the ferry booking in booth ?

Do i need printed or in app proof of covid jabs? 

My passport has more than 4 years to run.

GB sticker on number plate.

Got to wear gloves.

All bike documents.

Visa, no.

Type of breakdown cover or health ins, now we don`t have a Euro health card?

Will vodafone data still work without paying £££ per day?

Thanks,

insurance green card. Some insurers are issuing them.

If you're travelling to Paris or other large cities you will need a crit certificate. This is a tax on emissions for city centre access.

You will need to ask NHS for a health card.

Double check the need for international driving license.

Covid app should be enough as evidence.

I'm driving down a few days after you..

GB sticker is now UK, you need one of these. I have picked up a 'bipper', like a dart tag so that you can cruise through the tolls at up to 30kph, it charges to a card so you don't have to queue up.

Also need, for a car, might be different on a bike..

Headlight stickers

High Vis vests for each person travelling

Warning triangle

Spare bulb set

V5 reg cert

This website is a good guide in case I've forgotten anything https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/travel/country/france/

Almost forgot.

If you wear glasses you are required to have a spare set.

Your helmet is required to have reflecting stickers

There is a lot of confusion about alcohol breathalyzers. you can get a par for less than a fiver on ebay so maybe worth have one just in case.

If you are using the tunnel, they should tell you what you need in terms of health, for us it's a negative test within 48hrs of departure, the result of which can be uploaded to save some time when boarding.

My wife's just flown back from France where she hired a car. UK driving licence no problem. To fly all she needed was proof of vaccination in last 9 months.  Has travel insurance which covers medical issues.

Do i need printed or in app proof of covid jabs? -  Your NHS App will provide proof of your C19 status.  

My passport has more than 4 years to run. - Why wouldn't you already know this is OK

GB sticker on number plate. - Now a UK Sticker

Got to wear gloves. - True, but why wouldn't you 

All bike documents. - is a must 

Visa, no. - Depends where you are from - you haven't added your location 

Type of breakdown cover or health ins, now we don`t have a Euro health card? - Find out if your insurance cover has breakdown cover - IIR you can still use your old Health card or just google a new one, why not they're free. 

Will vodafone data still work without paying £££ per day? - look at your contract - how the hell would I know 😂 

I think the info around helmet sticker is misleading - French Legislation says motorcycle helmet must have stickers however the EU say this cannot apply retroactively to helmets already in use. some sites will have you believe you have to buy them. 

UK Gov and French Gov websites are a good start or ask Kevin or Geoff :thumb:🤣

• Haha 2

For gods sake… some of the answers on this thread had us rolling around laughing. We are currently in the Dolomites having crossed France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany and Austria.

first. The Uk sticker thing is a uk rule, the Europeans don’t care. We have seen more GB plates than UK by at least a 10/1 ratio. The only reason to change to UK is to keep the northern Irish happy. An NI sticker is allowed but ENG. CYM. SCO. And GB have been banned by this shower of Tory chancers.

buy a crossing on the day and you will pay top price. Buy online.

only covid requirement is the Nhs app.

V5 original. Insurance certificate. Passport that’s it.

UK has brought out a Global health card. Which isn’t “Global” at all. It’s EU and allied countries only. Another Con.

bring some face masks as you might have to wear them in some very limited circumstances.

we got travel insurance from Navigator as they are fine with big bikes. Roadside rescue from ETA.

and that’s about it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gerontious said:

For gods sake… some of the answers on this thread had us rolling around laughing. We are currently in the Dolomites having crossed France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany and Austria.

Blimey I thought I was having a flashback to 1939 and Churchill was about to come on the radio.

• Haha 1

Anyway with all stupid frenrequirements, better to go Germany, Austria and Italy, alps, no one asked a question, no uk or gb sticker, bike or car, no reflective, thinks. 

Me and the missus have just returned from 12 days in Italy and Sicily and had no issues with any of the different types of law enforcement, in fact they were rather friendly when we saw them. 

We did travel through France in November last year when we brought the K11 over here to Tunisia and as with Italy no issues with plod.

With regards to what you do or don't need most of the motoring websites are very much car focused with the rules and regs.

All we carried with us was the following

Bike docs: Log book, insurance MOT if applicable.

Hi-Viz vest for the wife, I didn't need one as my jacket is hi-viz (Looks like a Police jkt)

Stickers are not required for tourists or helmets not purchased in France.

Gloves are mandatory, as are protective boots of at least ankle length.

Warning triangles are not mandatory for bikes.

Bulb kit is required but very rarely enforced

Breath test kit is no longer a legal requirement. It wasn't enforced anyway.

In addition to the above we also carried a puncture repair kit and compressor, first aid kit and a decent tool kit, not the bike issue type.

We traveled through the tunnel and had no problems with the dreaded covid requirements and associated paperwork. If you check on the tunnel website you get all the up to date info on what's needed and not needed. I may be wrong but I think that if you've only had the 2 jabs then the last one has to have been given no more than 290 days before arrival in France. If you've had the booster then there's no "expiry" date.

Have a safe trip and hope you enjoy the freedom of the wind in your hair.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Was in Spain and France a month ago, bike trip around Picos and Pyrenees. I took printed copies of COVID vaccination status (also had app on phone, but paper nice fail safe), was only needed to get on ferry leaving Portsmouth. More hassle with doc checks UK side than France or Spain in the two trips this year using Britt ferries.

Took some face masks, a few places were still asking for them to be used.

bike paperwork required same as has been forever - v5 and cert of insurance.

I got the gov EHIC replacement health card, but have some separate ‘get me home’ insurance.

that’s it, beyond a few bits of paper it’s no big deal. Biggest concern is what to do in event of breakdown - was with two mates in Picos but solo in Pyrenees - and took the attitude of worry about that if it happens. 

my vodaphone charges have increased - I use mobile phone as sat nav on bike, so maps hitting data volume, but it was up by a few quid for the month. Can save that by judicious fuelling off motorways.

I had to ‘make progress’ along motorways in France and Spain on two days, was refreshing to have clear lanes and ride at a decent pace. Lots of locals cruising at 90 odd.

In case of a breakdown.... the most likely culprit being a puncture. take everything you need to repair and reinflate. those little gas bottles are only a 'get me to a proper pump' solution and then you have to trust that the fuel stop has one AND that it works.

Spare cash for at worst a new tyre... if the tyre is irreparable. spare cash or at least enough credit.

DO NOT USE OR RELY ON A DEBIT CARD FOR BUYING FUEL IN FRANCE!!! NEVER EVER!!! as the petrol company is likely to ring fence anything up to €500 until it completes. and that can mean you're broke. or out of fuel. use a credit card.

Don't believe me.. look at this.

33f7905e-6326-4f4d-81a0-b464e02d5620.thumb.jpg.3e6a4ea8171db8218776b3d2ebc9fea0.jpg

Unmanned 24/24 Fuel station south of Troyes wanted €500 for a measly 15 litres of fuel. and Paul only had £230 left on that particular card. (he used his credit card instead)

There was still €150 ring fenced from 4 days earlier!!! its a really bad situation to be in.

This only applies to Debit cards and similar. The credit card companies won't allow this nonsense.

Edited by Gerontious

Good info re debit as unmanned stations are very popular in France and I wasn’t aware of that gotcha.

I should get my act together re puncture, something to get to next town would be enough.

I always used to use NatWide debit when touring because they made no charge to use, but that changed years ago. So I opened a French bank account for Brits which I stick Euros in when rates are good, and use that card whilst touring, seems to avoid many hassles, Think it’s much harder to get French account now, post Bxt and all.

A completely nutty one in Spain, which I did not believe until I tried it. Due to high prices the gov introduced a temporary scheme whereby you get/got a refund of about 10% when filling up. But it was only applied if you pay at the desk, doesn’t get applied if pay at the pump. 

• Haha 1