One post wonders…

onesea

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, onesea said:

Ok which of you stole my idea, my dreams are shattered.

https://youtu.be/ez9Cy3P1H9M

Watched that. Completely horrified me if the guy really intends to launch a 55 year old boat in questionable condition for a 500 mile challenging sail around the Uk. With no experience. … sometimes I think boating should be more heavily regulated in the UK

2 minutes ago, Davidtav said:

Watched that. Completely horrified me if the guy really intends to launch a 55 year old boat in questionable condition for a 500 mile challenging sail around the Uk. With no experience. … sometimes I think boating should be more heavily regulated in the UK

Boating regulations in the UK are a farce. You can walk in off the street and buy a powerful speedboat never having even set foot on a boat and sail it away. There is no compulsory insurance requirement other than in a marina where individual marinas will have their own requirements. You need zero knowledge about the Collision Regulations which govern the behaviour of all water craft. Of course it often ends in tears and keeps the RNLI well trained.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Davidtav said:

He makes a few mistakes but seems to get some good advice and leaves the important jobs to professionals.

I get the feeling that he knows more than he lets on or does allot of homework.  He’s chosen a sensible boat (if IMHO a little over priced) and is doing all the right prep. For all the talk sailing like biking is not that difficult or dangerous, particularly now the world relies on electronic charts and GPS.

If someone bought a 55 year old 125cc, replaced bits, serviced it, did a CBT and set of around the uk, no maps relying on his SatNav, would they be safe?

UK boating legislation is as @S-Westerly says is all but non existent.  However I disagree, considering the numbers of people involved i don’t think the accident rates are that bad, although there are some horror stories.

Judging by insurance, when getting quotes it makes little difference qualified or not. 

There are many similarities to biking some get a bike/ boat:

• scare themselves/ hurt themselves, sell it,
  • spend hours looking at but not using it, it rots away in a corner, 
  • Yet some take to it and keep learning and enjoying learning,

The ones who have done a course and think they know everything are the ones that scare me.  I know in the Solent if I hear some one say “I have my day skippers” or “RYA Level” I am concerned.

Part of the problem with training and certification in the UK is who to do it? The RYA?
I have/ had some of there professional and amateur qualifications over the years and there culture is not one I like. 

IMHO RYA are in my opinion like ROSPA and IAM’s they can be a bit Martmite for many people.

Yes the courses are generally ok and do make you better, however you don’t need to do the courses to be a good or even better than that.

• Like 1

100% agree with S-Westerly.  A few years ago, four of us were SCUBA diving of the Calf Sound.  We were diving from a RIB that was at anchor, clearly displaying an "A" Flag.  The two divers that were submerged were also towing a floating surface marker buoy with an attached "A" flag.  We were absolutely horrified,  a large motor cruiser went between us and the divers SMB, at speed, we were waving, and shouting from the RIB, pointing at the "A" flag, the skipper just looked at us!  I would argue that this totally, entitled tool, didn't have the first clue what an "A" flag was and didn't' know what he was supposed to do when seeing one.  

It's madness that you have to pass practical and theory tests for most other types of transport, but absolutely sweet F/A for private water craft.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, manxie49 said:

100% agree with S-Westerly.  A few years ago, four of us were SCUBA diving of the Calf Sound.  We were diving from a RIB that was at anchor, clearly displaying an "A" Flag.  The two divers that were submerged were also towing a floating surface marker buoy with an attached "A" flag.  We were absolutely horrified,  a large motor cruiser went between us and the divers SMB, at speed, we were waving, and shouting from the RIB, pointing at the "A" flag, the skipper just looked at us!  I would argue that this totally, entitled tool, didn't have the first clue what an "A" flag was and didn't' know what he was supposed to do when seeing one.  

It's madness that you have to pass practical and theory tests for most other types of transport, but absolutely sweet F/A for private water craft.

The example you gave is an idiot.

You can have all the qualifications you want but as proven on the road it  licences mean very little to some.

It happens on the road in the air in the commercial shipping.

There is new legislation brought in that making it easier to prosecute small boat operators both commercial and amateur (interestingly excluding paddle boards and row boats my reading).

https://www.rya.org.uk/news/2023/01/20/rya-welcomes-new-watercraft-legislation-2023

Of the poor practices/ incidents a fair share are commercial operators or those that claim to be qualified.

I have sailed all my life in and out of the commercial world, I am sad to see leisure sailing beginning restricted due to cost.  To the domain of entitled commercial and the wealthy.

Rather than those that do it because of the love of the sea and boats.

9 hours ago, onesea said:

He makes a few mistakes but seems to get some good advice and leaves the important jobs to professionals.

I get the feeling that he knows more than he lets on or does allot of homework.  He’s chosen a sensible boat (if IMHO a little over priced) and is doing all the right prep. For all the talk sailing like biking is not that difficult or dangerous, particularly now the world relies on electronic charts and GPS.

If someone bought a 55 year old 125cc, replaced bits, serviced it, did a CBT and set of around the uk, no maps relying on his SatNav, would they be safe?

UK boating legislation is as @S-Westerly says is all but non existent.  However I disagree, considering the numbers of people involved i don’t think the accident rates are that bad, although there are some horror stories.

Judging by insurance, when getting quotes it makes little difference qualified or not. 

There are many similarities to biking some get a bike/ boat:

• scare themselves/ hurt themselves, sell it,
  • spend hours looking at but not using it, it rots away in a corner, 
  • Yet some take to it and keep learning and enjoying learning,

The ones who have done a course and think they know everything are the ones that scare me.  I know in the Solent if I hear some one say “I have my day skippers” or “RYA Level” I am concerned.

Part of the problem with training and certification in the UK is who to do it? The RYA?
I have/ had some of there professional and amateur qualifications over the years and there culture is not one I like. 

IMHO RYA are in my opinion like ROSPA and IAM’s they can be a bit Martmite for many people.

Yes the courses are generally ok and do make you better, however you don’t need to do the courses to be a good or even better than that.

I agree with most of what you say

I get the connection between biking and boats, not just that they start with the same letter !

I have been falling off and messing around with MBikes since i was 11 years old, I am a very old grumpy git now!

For the last 8 years I have had owned a canal boat, both pursuits provide freedoms of travel and connections to "mostly" friendly like minded folk. Pottering down a water filled ditch at 3.5 mph is freedom, until you come to a flight of locks, but that too is social and fun, for at the first 5 or six locks, setting off on dry sunny day, on the well fettled bike, with a kinda trip plan feels much the same.

Pitching up at a canal side pub, is much the same as pulling into a bikers pub/ caff, it wont be  long before you are involved in the banter. 

I have spent some time on lumpy water boating, liked it but didn't love it, the oceans seem a bit short of caffs and pubs IMO.

Too each his own I guess.

PS: Sold the canal boat last week, as we want to spend more time touring on the bike, whilst I can still get my leg over, so to speak

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I sail a laser, which is like a motorbike on water. Fast, brutal, prone to spit you off if you get things wrong, unforgiving of careless handling. When it goes well its brilliant. When it goes wrong it hurts. 

The best sailor in our club says he stopped sailing a laser when he was 30 as it is a young man's boat.  

I also have my day skipper and coastal navigation tickets so am fully qualified to sail a super tanker through the Menai Straits in the dark. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Hmm.  I think I shall introduce a couple of COLREGS posts and a brace of anchor posts, just to liven things up.

Whats that you say?  You bought a Rocna?  🤭

As an aside, for an exciting time navigating through hoards of drunken idiots in hourly  rental boats with no experience at all, try going up the river ouse through York on a sunny saturday afternoon.  Really gets the pulse racing.

Swarms of idiots with no idea of colregs, sound signals or even basic seamanship all on a collision course, 200ft tour boats bearing down on you and you cant open the throttle to get out of the way because you will swamp all the rowing skiffs with your wash.

Phew.  Made it through in one piece and even managed to avoid the local sport of getting beer poured on your head from the top of the Lendal bridge.

DSC_0047

Edited by Tinkicker
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Davidtav said:

It is interesting that quite a lot of bikers like sailing. And quite a lot of sailors like motorcycles. Yeah I’ve noticed it

i enjoy sailing to the iom  🤣

4 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I sail a laser, which is like a motorbike on water. Fast, brutal, prone to spit you off if you get things wrong, unforgiving of careless handling. When it goes well its brilliant. When it goes wrong it hurts. 

The best sailor in our club says he stopped sailing a laser when he was 30 as it is a young man's boat.  

I also have my day skipper and coastal navigation tickets so am fully qualified to sail a super tanker through the Menai Straits in the dark. 

Hmm. I think you may find there's a tonnage restriction in there and I can guarantee a super tanker won't fit through Menai!

• Haha 1